Recruiting Update 7-21: Big Week Ahead

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The biggest news around the football program right now is obviously the newest Charles Robinson report, but there is some good news on the recruiting front.

-I'm not going on a limb by saying that Artie Burns and Jamal Carter will be committing to Miami this week. Burns has been a heavy Miami lean ever since he de-committed from Alabama and Carter's commitment has been imminent for a while. Both will bring dynamic, elite skills to the table in the 'Canes secondary. While neither are pure safeties, both are elite athletes and have the ability to become game-changers from the position. Burns has his announcement set for 3PM on Monday at Northwestern, while Carter hasn't set a day, but it will be this week. Hopefully for Miami, the possible Burns pick-up will get things back rolling at MNW, who is under the new direction of Head Coach Stephen Field this year.

-Vernon Hargreaves III released his most recent top 5 (in order) yesterday via twitter: "Top 5 ) 1.Florida 2.Clemson 3.Vanderbilt 4.Miami 5.Notre Dame , USF is not in my top 5 but still considering !".....It is a relative surprise that the Bulls were left out, but like he said, nobody has been eliminated. Florida has been the leader for a while, but the Canes are definitely in the thick of things. He recently visited Clemson and was shown around by Sammy Watkins, which is a big reason why the Tigers are high on his list. Vanderbilt may be a surprise to some, but the 'Dores have been hitting Florida hard the last couple years. Hargreaves' close friends Jordan Sherit and 2014 QB Chase Litton are also very high on them. They are the dark horse, but the 'Canes are much more likely to land him than Vandy. As it stands right now, USF obviously has ground to make up, but him and his father are very close from what I've been told. A big factor in how serious Miami's chances are will be if he makes it down to Rising Senior Day in August.

-Something that has been a big point of discussion lately is the offensive line recruiting. Right now, there is one commit in Alex Gall from Ohio, who will play inside at Miami. There has been speculation that TE commit Jeremy Kerr could transition to the line, but I still don't see this happening. Coach Fisch loves having different types of tight ends, and Kerr fits the blocking role perfectly. He doesn't have the frame to move to tackle in my opinion and is just an overall better fit at tight end considering the other two TE commits in the class bring something different to the table. Denver Kirkland is the top lineman on the board for Miami. His stock has been rising as of late, after winning the MVP at the opening and having a strong performance this week at the FSU camp. The 'Noles have made a strong push for him as of late and Kirkland has a good relationship with FSU OL Coach, Rick Trickett. This will be a Miami-Florida State battle. A few weeks ago, I would have penciled him in this class for Miami, but it is up in the air right now.

-After being ranked #1 on my South Florida top 50 list, Ermon Lane continues to show the nation why he is such an elite talent. This week, he camped at Alabama and was offered on the spot. He also camped at FSU, who he already held an offer from and was impressive as always. Two of his Homestead teammates were also impressive, as 2015 RB Johnnie Hankins (#39 on my top 50 list) won the "Best Young Back" award and 2014 ATH Mario Mezier was "turning heads" according to a source. Lane is high on Alabama early after the camp, but Miami is well-positioned.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Just got this from Bakas, in regards to Vernon Hargreaves:

We are not listed in his top 5 as of today, and Bakas says he knew Hargreaves was never coming here. His new top 5 is the same 4 schools with Georgia now in the mix, and says he feels like he will commit really soon.

Take it FWIW gentleman....

LOL.....

There's a Scout interview VH3 did today where he says these things, including that his mind is "mostly" made up, and he could commit soon.

I think Bakas took pleasure in reporting that, because I had the audacity to ask him why he was surprised we originally made the 5 team cut.

So he won't be committing until NSD.

Hargraves had UF leading everyone for awhile. It's not over i think he will still visit Aug 12 for rising sr day but UF is gonna be tough to beat.

Advertisement
Just got this from Bakas, in regards to Vernon Hargreaves:

We are not listed in his top 5 as of today, and Bakas says he knew Hargreaves was never coming here. His new top 5 is the same 4 schools with Georgia now in the mix, and says he feels like he will commit really soon.

Take it FWIW gentleman....

That's fantastic news! We actually have a great shot now.

Hargraves had UF leading everyone for awhile. It's not over i think he will still visit Aug 12 for rising sr day but UF is gonna be tough to beat.

Actually that initially came from Hargreaves himself in an interview on scout. He took Miami out and put UGA in. He is likely going to UF anyway.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back