Recruiting Update 6-27

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
-Rashard Robinson from Ely was offered today after attending last Saturday’s camp, where he was impressive. Robinson has good size and can play either corner or safety. Something that is interesting is that during Golden’s time at Miami, he has not signed a pure safety. Dallas Crawford came in as a safety, but was moved to the offensive side of the ball, Deon Bush is another hybrid corner-safety, and Rayshawn Jenkins is a kid who played both receiver and safety, but was not a true safety. I like Robinson a lot and he’s very similar physically and athletically to Bush. He has offers from the likes of LSU, Oklahoma, and Florida State, so it’s easy to see that he is supremely talented. Canes fans should hope this ends up better than the last time they were pursuing a defensive back from Ely.

-One of the biggest stories of this recruiting cycle for Miami has been the Alexander brothers. Mackensie and Mackenro have openly stated that they really want to play with each other at the next level, but Miami gave them the news today that Mackenro wouldn’t be receiving an offer, only Mackensie. This isn’t a surprise, as I posted a couple weeks ago that it was unlikely this would happen. I had also mentioned it was a long shot that he would wind up in this class and I still believe that to be the case.

-A huge positive from the Travis Johnson pick-up on Monday is the fact that it helps keep the Tampa-area pipeline alive for Golden and staff. Anthony Chickillo, Antonio Crawford, Tyriq McCord, Rayshawn Jenkins, and Earl Moore are all kids that Miami has picked up from the area in the last couple of years, which has not historically been a big hotbed for the Canes. Johnson’s commitment is especially big because he is very close to CB Vernon Hargreaves, who is one of the top targets on Miami’s board. The two played on the same 7-on-7 team and are good friends.

-I recently wrote about Tyre Brady (2014 WR) from South Dade and his performance at the camp on Saturday. He told me that he expects the Miami coaches to offer once they see him play in person, because they liked what they saw at the camp. He also told me that he loves Miami. At 6’2, he is smooth and extremely explosive. Garrett Fortner, who was the quarterback at Columbus last year, where Brady went for his freshman year, told me that the sky is the limit for Tyre. Fortner has told me for almost a year now that Brady is the real deal and he expects him to breakout next season at South Dade. Larry Blustein ranks him as the #17 prospect for the 2014 in South Florida.

-TE Kyle Chung was reportedly offered by the Canes today, which was surprising considering there are 3 Tight Ends currently committed. I would be surprised if this offer was committable at the moment. It just doesn’t make sense that the staff would take 4 at the position in a year where scholarships are at a premium. Many have suggested that possibly Jeremy Kerr could be converted to OL, and Chung has the possibility to do the same. Jedd Fisch loves to utilize the blocking TE in his offense, which we weren’t able to fully see last year since Corey White was injured. Because of that injury, Chase Ford, who was not a good blocker, was forced to play a lot in that role. Kerr should fit that position well, so that’s why I still consider him as a tight end and don’t see him switching positions.

Advertisement
Brady looked like the best receiver at the camp, hands down. Nice size and a great athlete.

It will be interesting to see how many WR's we take next season. I would pencil in Ermon Lane as one the main targets and maybe Brady(who I've heard is better than Lane), then the Dunbar kid I forget his name. A lot of good WR's in '14s class.

Advertisement
DMoney said:
Brady looked like the best receiver at the camp, hands down. Nice size and a great athlete.

McDonald was pushing him hard, messing around with him too. You can tell he liked him a lot

Peter, you've really got the pulse of recruiting. Much appreciated.

If you have a chance to talk to Chung ask him what position Miami is recruiting him for and I think your questions will be answered.

Advertisement
As usual, good stuff.

My only question is if Hargreaves, Robinson and Alexander all by some chance want in, who do we turn away? All 3 are elitel level athletes.

Peter, Travis Johnson is friends with VHIII, and that could help us out. Are there other connections here at the U that would help us further with VHIII.

I just have a gut feeling that VHIII is not only obtainable, but likely. And he is a machine.

Peter, Travis Johnson is friends with VHIII, and that could help us out. Are there other connections here at the U that would help us further with VHIII.

I just have a gut feeling that VHIII is not only obtainable, but likely. And he is a machine.

There's another kid I forgot to mention that Travis Johnson could help with. Vincent Jackson, his teammate, is a 2014 kid. He's one of the top LB's in the state for next year

Travis Johnson's gonna help big time...Hargreaves has been friends with the kid...and he likely wil be comfortable with all the tampa kids here..also he spent alot of hi life living here in MIAMI...Al Golden better be all over Hargreaves..because i know chick, Johnson, and Mccord will be....

Anopther kid from that area i wantus after is Leon Mcquay..that kid is a nice db...probably top 5 in Fla...Peter you know anything there?/..tey all play for Team Tampa...he is a kid out of Armwood.

Advertisement
Solid write up, Hombre. Also, gogeta....I believe McQuay is all USC from what I've seen and heard.

LOLOLOLOL @ Paying for Recruiting information...criggas, I got this Peter Ariz **** fo free.

Thanks for the info again Peter.I think the staff will try Kerr at OL.He is already a solid 245 heading into his senior season and already shows good blocking technique.It worked for Jeremy Hills (Texas) & Eric Winston so let's see what plays out.

Advertisement
-I recently wrote about Tyre Brady (2014 WR) from South Dade and his performance at the camp on Saturday. He told me that he expects the Miami coaches to offer once they see him play in person, because they liked what they saw at the camp. He also told me that he loves Miami. At 6’2, he is smooth and extremely explosive. Garrett Fortner, who was the quarterback at Columbus last year, where Brady went for his freshman year, told me that the sky is the limit for Tyre. Fortner has told me for almost a year now that Brady is the real deal and he expects him to breakout next season at South Dade. Larry Blustein ranks him as the #17 prospect for the 2014 in South Florida.

Peter, do you have a link to this?

Advertisement
Back