Recruiting Update 6-18

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Here is the latest with some of the big names on the Miami board...

Marcell Harris (S): Safety is arguably the biggest position of need for Miami and Harris is one of the top prospects in the state. A source who was with the Harris family this weekend says that the Canes are in his top 5, but that UF is way out in front and the only real threat to the Gators is FSU. I have been told that Artie Burns is being recruited as a safety, so him and Jamal Carter are still in line to be the safeties of the class. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third safety added though, just in case Jamal Carter’s grades are in issue.

Jaynard Bostwick (DL): Bostwick is among the top three defensive linemen on Miami’s board along with Quay Bain and Keith Bryant. There has been talk that Oregon is a “dream school” for Bostwick and that he really likes the facilities and whatnot out there, but I’m told that this interest is not completely legitimate and that Miami is still the team to beat. On the field, Bostwick is a versatile player who can play either end or tackle.

Mackensie Alexander (CB): Alexander has had one of the strangest recruitments this year, as he was first committed to Tennessee very early on before de-committing to explore his options. He might be the most athletically gifted DB in the class, but Miami fans may not want to get their hopes up. There has been talk that he will go to a school that offers his brother, Mackenro, an opportunity to play. That right there puts Miami out of the running because the Canes aren’t in a spot to give away scholarships. As it is already, this will be a small class, and corner isn’t going to be a position of need for this year’s class. Yes, Mackensie is talented enough to come in and play within the next year, but offering his brother would be a mistake and the staff recognizes that. Don’t look for Miami to have a realistic chance here.

Travis Johnson (WR/TE): A big receiver out of Tampa, Johnson has been a hot name lately and after the Jayron Kearse de-commitment, he may come towards the forefront of the receiver board. Johnson is expected to be camping next weekend and word is that Miami is his favorite school. His offer sheet is ridiculous; the only question may be what position he would play here. H-back is also a strong possibility.

Jordan Sherit (DE): Sherit was a name that was talked about a lot earlier in the process, but it seems as though his hype has fallen a little bit in the recent weeks. I personally like his game a lot and I know that he has a very good relationship with Coach Golden. He is a kid that is important because Miami has had great success in the Tampa area recently and it would be a big pick-up in order to keep the pipeline going in a region of Florida that hasn’t always been kind to the Canes. I still think that if he wanted to commit today, he would be able to.

Advertisement
Good stuff, interesting that you think Sherit could commit. He has definitely had a strange recruitment too.

Hope we make room for Johnson too. I think TE is the popular destination but I'm not so sure. He is a big athletic kid no reason he has to play TE right away.

So, if we might take 3 safeties in case Carter has problems, why not offer Mackenro? We aren't really in it for anyone else are we?

Advertisement
Johnson and Sherit are two of my personal favorites.

If Golden lands those guys, his next visit to Tampa should be on a pirate ship.

Travis Johnson looks a bit too big in the lower body to stay at WR. It does look like he could be a possible mismatch at TE though.

Advertisement
Chicken_N_Roffles said:
So, if we might take 3 safeties in case Carter has problems, why not offer Mackenro? We aren't really in it for anyone else are we?

I don't think Mackenro is Miami material quite frankly

Advertisement
Peter,

I've read recently that Tim Williams from Louisiana is very high on Miami.

Do you think there is a legit shot Miami is able to get him or is he an LSU kid all the way?

Advertisement
Oregon is Bostwick's "dream school"

lulz, show me he can even point it out on a map, then I might be worried

We are his dream school according to him anyway. He did say he had interest in Oregon and wanted to see what it was like there but there's so much pressure for him to stay home there's no way he goes all the way to friggin Oregon.

Who wouldn't be in awe of Oregon's facilities?

They are Nike's go to school and have the latest in everything.

It seems ESPN and Scout are much higher on Bain than Rivals:
ESPN - 87th overall prospect (4 Star)
Scout - 17 overall DT Prospect (4 star)
Rivals - 3 Star and 33rd overall DT Prospect

While Bostwick is pretty high rated on all scouting services:
ESPN - 279th Overall Prospect (4 Star)
Scout - 9th Overall DT Prospect (4 Star)
Rivals - 125th Overall Prospect/9th DT Prospect (4 Star)

I'm sure 99% of the board would be elated with a Safety class of Artie Burns and Jamal Carter.

Also with the deep class of WR's Miami recruited last year why not go for the top choices on your board?
Pair that with many of the top SoFl WR's being high on Miami in the 2014 class ( I know it's a long way away) I think you should go for the best of the best (Coley).

I don't think Miami gets either Hargreaves or Mack. Alexander.

Advertisement
Back