Recruiting Update 6-13

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Here’s the latest on some of the staff’s top targets. If you have a question on any one of these kids or another prospect in particular, I will answer it either in this thread or the next update I release, which is going to be about every couple of days.

Jamal Carter (S): Carter is the staff’s #1 priority as far as DB’s, and he knows that. The Canes are in the driver’s seat here. I’ve heard about some possible grade issues and that could be a bump in the road, but I’ve also been told that everything should eventually be cleared away and he will be fine on that front. Him and Deon Bush have a good relationship, as they grew up in the same area. The idea of them playing together is something that Carter likes a lot, plus the fact that the safety position is really lacking depth.

Matthew Thomas (DE/OLB): The biggest name in this year’s recruiting cycle in South Florida, Miami is in great position with Thomas as well. I’ve been told that if signing day were today, he would be a Cane. Obviously today isn’t NSD, so it will be a long battle, but it is a great sign that UM is on top as of now. The biggest competition here is FSU, despite rumors that Alabama is high on his list.

Brisly Estime: Word is that he wants to commit to Miami soon, but is in “no rush”. Estime is a kid that recently received an offer at the camp. His teammate, Keith Bryant, has been telling me about Brisly for about a year now, so having Bryant on his side probably didn’t hurt with the staff’s interest. As solid as Keith is to Miami right now, he would be rock solid if Estime committed, which looks very likely.

Jermaine Grace (LB): Another kid that I’ve been told is the Canes’ to lose. On the field, he’s a little undersized, some have suggested his future is at safety, but I think he will be special at LB if he adds weight. I would say that he might the biggest “lock” in this class for Golden and staff. When Tracy committed, that virtually sealed the deal.

Stacy Coley (WR): He has one of the weirdest recruitments in recent memory. From a talent standpoint, he’s flat out special. There are just so many other factors surrounding his recruitment that it is tough to tell where this one is going. Word around his camp is that his family wants Miami, and while he likes the Canes, he just isn’t sure about how much interest the staff has. The staff’s questions don’t stem from talent.

Deadrin Senat (DT): There hasn’t been much talk about Senat and Miami lately, but I’ve heard it may be due to a lack of interest on Miami’s side. If he wanted to commit right now, I’m not sure the staff would take it. He is very short (5’10), but built like an Ox. The staff wants size at the defensive tackle position though, especially after bringing in one undersized tackle in Earl Moore last year. Jaynard Bostwick remains a huge possibility for Miami.

Jayron Kearse (WR/S): While he is committed to Miami, I’ve had people telling me for some time now that he is not solid. That’s not to say he won’t stick in the end, but out of all the current commits, he is the one who Canes’ fans should worry most about. He’s a big-time talent, we’ll see if the staff can hold on to him.

Artie Burns (DB): A former Alabama commit, Burns is one of the biggest names in South Florida. He might be the fastest player in Dade, and I think his future is at Safety. I would like to see more from him production-wise, but he has a lot of upside. A source close to the situation told me that he is all Miami.

Angelo Jean-Louis (WR): It’s old news that AJL is going to prep school, which was an expected move. He was one of the most solid commits in the 2012 class, so there should be no worries as to other schools trying to pry him away from Miami. He is also the type of playmaking receiver that Jedd Fisch covets. The current roster of WR consists mostly of possession-type guys, so he should come in right away next year and make an impact. Prep may not be the worst thing in the world for him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Actually I've got a question or two:

1. What happened with the Alexander bros?
2. If Estime wanted to commit tomorrow could he?

Cane Empire said:
Actually I've got a question or two:

1. What happened with the Alexander bros?
2. If Estime wanted to commit tomorrow could he?

I'll have a big update on the Alexanders in my next update and on #2 honestly no I don't think he could commit

Advertisement
Good stuff.

I read that Grace needs to earn his spot at camp. I don't think that's so much a knock on him but he seems pretty similar to Thomas doesn't he? Just not quite as talented, plus we have limited spots.

While we're at it: what's keeping Lamar Robbins from getting offered by the big 3? Tons of offers from out of state...I'm assuming grades or character issues or something only in state schools would know about?

Cane Empire said:
While we're at it: what's keeping Lamar Robbins from getting offered by the big 3? Tons of offers from out of state...I'm assuming grades or character issues or something only in state schools would know about?

I've heard that Lamont Green isn't the most truthful when reporting his players' offers

Advertisement
Deadrin Senat: There hasn’t been much talk about Senat and Miami lately, but I’ve heard it may be due to a lack of interest on Miami’s side. If he wanted to commit right now, I’m not sure the staff would take it. He is very short (5’10), but built like an Ox. The staff wants size at the defensive tackle position though, especially after bringing in one undersized tackle in Earl Moore last year. Jaynard Bostwick remains a huge possibility for Miami.

First of all, appreciate the post and what's to come.

?,
Have you seen Senat in person? Because me and my buddy saw him at the spring game and he was clearly 6'0. I'm 5'10(not in the program guide) and my buddy is close to six and he was definitely taller. He is indeed build like an absolute Ox though.

01rodric said:
First of all, appreciate the post and what's to come.

?,
Have you seen Senat in person? Because me and my buddy saw him at the spring game and he was clearly 6'0. I'm 5'10(not in the program guide) and my buddy is close to six and he was definitely taller. He is indeed build like an absolute Ox though.

Yes I've seen him in person. Maybe I took an inch away from him but i think he was about 5'11. Either way, he's extremely undersized for what THe staff is looking for.

Advertisement
Pete,

First off welcome aboard and glad to have you here.

Second. Have you heard any info on Alex Collins. Is he a solid commit who is just looking around or does Miami have something to worry about.

Also what is the staff's plan on WR's? Do you have any idea who is at the top of their board?

Thanks

Cane Empire said:

I've heard that Lamont Green isn't the most truthful when reporting his players' offers

Ahhh, I see. Thanks.

Welcome Peter,

Any news on Bain? A DT class of Bain, Bryant, and bostwick would be one of the best in nation.

Advertisement
if we can close on those kids you said are locks and of course add a few more with some GOLDEN MAGIC the 2012+2013+2014 class's may be talked about for years to come... i can tell they will be special

Nice info, Peter.

Two things:
*Will AJL be able to come in during Spring 2013?
*Coley is a stud. What kind of non talent-related stuff is keeping the staff away from him?

if we can close on those kids you said are locks and of course add a few more with some GOLDEN MAGIC the 2012+2013+2014 class's may be talked about for years to come... i can tell they will be special

Until they become Greentree all Americans

But nah I think Golden will actually develop these guys, which is why I'm not too worried about recruiting anymore

dont want to get caught up to much in the recruiting hype. FSU is tops in the nation in recruiting every year and tops in the nation every year for pre season rankings and they are a perennial 8-9 win ball club. I am excited however, because we are getting athletic prospects and I feel we finally have not just a good, but a VERY good coaching staff as a whole.

Advertisement
Back