Recruiting Blows Up for 2017 OL Vinson

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
The month of May has been an eventful one for 2017 Trinity Catholic (Fl.) offensive lineman Blake Vinson as he saw his recruitment take a big spike.

In a matter of days, Vinson went from holding a few offers to landing some top notch scholarships from some notable schools

“It’s kind of shocking really because I went from having only four offers from USF, FAU, Vanderbilt and NC State which are all great schools really, but to add in Miami, Florida, Clemson and Tennessee was very crazy.”

Vinson also recently picked up an offer from Ole Miss, which puts his mother in a very interesting situation.

“My mom is from Chattanooga, Tennessee and she’s a big UT fan, but she also went to Ole Miss so she kinda likes them as well.”

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the earlier schools to offer the 6’5 280 pound lineman and he’s has high praise for the Hurricanes offensive line coach Art Kehoe.

“I know coach (Art) Kehoe is a phenomenal offensive line coach. I worked with him when I was younger for like a week straight,” said Vinson. “He’s obviously one of the best O-line coaches in college football period, so just knowing I have an opportunity to play under a guy like that is great.”

Vinson is well aware of the offensive line products Miami has churned out in the past few years and even had the opportunity to work with one of them.

“The NFL is the ultimate goal, that’s everybody’s dream. They can definitely say they have had a couple guys drafted every year and also I worked out with Seantrel Henderson. He trained at the same place with a guy I work with in Orlando.”

Vinson is very early in the recruiting process and is taking it day by day, but when looking at schools there will be a few factors that will help him narrow down his list.

“I want to a good university where I can come out with a good degree and also the environment around the football team and what the coaching staff is like.”

Vinson has been working in the offseason to take his game to the next level. While he trains with the team, Vinson also works out on his own and even does boxing to help with his hand placement.

“We’ve been lifting a bunch of weights as a team and running a ton as well. For myself, I box to work on my hand speed and agility,” said Vinson. “The boxing really helps you during one on ones and it slows down the game because everything comes at you so fast.”

Vinson and his team fell short to the state champion Trinity Christian Conquerors, Vinson is eagerly awaiting to see them again and is doing what he can to make next season his best.

“Last season we lost to Trinity Christian in the second round of the playoffs; we lost by four points. They’re game number one on our schedule so we’re ready for that one and we’re all looking forward to it.”

[video]http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3756150/highlights/166144377/v2[/video]

Advertisement
This is the same Ocala Trinity that UM accepted the commitment of 2015 OL Geron Christian who then flipped to U of L. So I am wondering just how much bad blood influence could be put in this young man's head by his former teammate?

Hopefully Seantrel had some good things to say about Art Kehoe and Miami to this young man. His recruitment should be interesting over the next 2 years.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back