NFL Read The Fine Print

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
J James was either given horrible advice from NFLPA (their stance is idiotic) and/or his own agent.... OR... he failed to understand the consequences.

For the actual attorneys here who don't reference wikipedia to try and sound smurtz...

Could a reasonable argument be made that the Broncos (or NFL*) expected/demanded off-season workouts regardless of location (Bronco facility vs off-site) as a condition of his employment?

*each team is technical an independent franchise and NFL always claims "not our problem" when a team gets into an unpopular issue right???

Last edited:
Advertisement
James has played 63 snaps for the Broncos over three games combined -- all in 2019 -- since he signed a four-year, $51 million deal with Denver in March of that year.

Raining Money GIF by memecandy

J James was either given horrible advice from NFLPA (their stance is idiotic) and/or his own agent.... OR... he failed to understand the consequences.

For the actual attorneys here who don't reference wikipedia to try and sound smurtz...

Could a reasonable argument be made that the Broncos (or NFL*) expected/demanded off-season workouts regardless of location (Bronco facility vs off-site) as a condition of his employment?

*each team is technical an independent franchise and NFL always claims "not our problem" when a team gets into an unpopular issue right???

ALL of the broncos players decided to forfeit voluntary workouts for this whole off-season in order to avoid unnecessary risks (COVID). So I wouldn't call that idiotic. Additionally, I'm sure the team expects these guys to stay in shape and continue to improve despite that decision. I mean, that's no different than how some of our guys would train with Goldfeet in-between Spring/Summer sessions. I think the best thing to do if you're the Broncos is to pay that man the 10 mill, but to also strongly suggest that the rest of the players change their stance, because the next dude is getting his contract voided.

ALL of the broncos players decided to forfeit voluntary workouts for this whole off-season in order to avoid unnecessary risks (COVID). So I wouldn't call that idiotic. Additionally, I'm sure the team expects these guys to stay in shape and continue to improve despite that decision. I mean, that's no different than how some of our guys would train with Goldfeet in-between Spring/Summer sessions. I think the best thing to do if you're the Broncos is to pay that man the 10 mill, but to also strongly suggest that the rest of the players change their stance, because the next dude is getting his contract voided.
I appreciate your perspective, but would respectfully disagree. Putting $10MM at risk without a written and signed addendum is, in my opinion, textbook idiocy. Evenmore so basing the decision on COVID "risk" as the data just doesn't support it. Again, he either didn't understand the risk he was taking or disregarded the advice he was given as to the consequences of said risk.

Is NFLPA going to cover his contract if Broncos adhere to the stipulations of not paying him? Is his agent? Perhaps someone will start a GoFundMe.

Broncos in a tough spot. If they cave, they are certainly setting a policy for their organization going forward and makes it tougher on other teams as well.

Would appreciate any labor law types to weigh in on this...

I appreciate your perspective, but would respectfully disagree. Putting $10MM at risk without a written and signed addendum is, in my opinion, textbook idiocy. Evenmore so basing the decision on COVID "risk" as the data just doesn't support it. Again, he either didn't understand the risk he was taking or disregarded the advice he was given as to the consequences of said risk.

Is NFLPA going to cover his contract if Broncos adhere to the stipulations of not paying him? Is his agent? Perhaps someone will start a GoFundMe.

Broncos in a tough spot. If they cave, they are certainly setting a policy for their organization going forward and makes it tougher on other teams as well.

Would appreciate any labor law types to weigh in on this...
Dude we get it. You don't believe COVID is a risk. You have used several different topics/threads to reword your shtick in a hundred different ways for over 365 days now. Porst about sports, please.

Advertisement
Dude we get it. You don't believe COVID is a risk. You have used several different topics/threads to reword your shtick in a hundred different ways for over 365 days now. Porst about sports, please.
This IS the off-topic thread.............

Knock it off "Dude". Off-Topic thread and it isn't his stance at all so quit misrepresenting somebody's opinion because maybe it isn't yours.

Don't get all weepy on me, I am not defending him as much as I am going after you for misrepresenting views of individuals because you don't feel the same way. If you want football played you don't believe Covid exists and want football players to die. Yeah, like that. I am a Covid denier to you but will get vaccinated...Things that make you go hmmmmm

He is a football player and they make a lot of money to be in shape. They chose to do it no related to the Broncos because of Covid but I would love to see if he was training with a mask on. Good PR move for Broncos is to honor it. However, if you want to go off of personal responsibility the Broncos players voted to do this. It is a business now live with your decision because that is what the Broncos had to do when players voted the way they did. Oops.

Advertisement
What about insurance? If I were a professional athlete making millions a year I’d **** sure have coverage of that income due to injury. A person could get hurt outside of workouts. Accidents, illness.

Looks like somebody talked to a lawyer. Ouch👇

👆"...Broncos 'have no contractual obligation to provide salary..."​

"...Injuries sustained while a player is working out 'on his own' in a location other than an NFL facility are considered 'Non-Football Injuries' and are outside the scope of a typical skill, injury and cap guarantee. Such injuries are also not covered by the protections found in paragraph 9 of the NFL Player Contract, meaning that clubs have no contractual obligation to provide salary continuation during the year the injury was sustained...

...According to media coverage, several players have expressed surprise that Mr. James’ injury was not covered by his Injury Guarantee, although this point has been made frequently in our discussions with the NFLPA about the offseason program..."

Here comes the GoFundMe because what are the odds NFLPA eats this for him???

What are the odds the Broncos pay? Either way sets a really bad precedent (from one view or another). 😬

Last edited:

First off, citing "COVID safety reasons" for refusing to work out at the facility is a bull**** reason in May 2021.

Second, what does the contract say? Last I checked, both parties signed willingly, both are sophisticated parties with adequate representation.

I don't see the problem here.

And yes, the NFLPA is even more pathetic at their job than Roger Goodell, which is a pretty incredible statement.

"...Injuries sustained while a player is working out 'on his own' in a location other than an NFL facility are considered 'Non-Football Injuries' and are outside the scope of a typical skill, injury and cap guarantee. Such injuries are also not covered by the protections found in paragraph 9 of the NFL Player Contract, meaning that clubs have no contractual obligation to provide salary continuation during the year the injury was sustained...

...According to media coverage, several players have expressed surprise that Mr. James’ injury was not covered by his Injury Guarantee, although this point has been made frequently in our discussions with the NFLPA about the offseason program..."

What are the odds the Broncos pay? Either way sets a really bad precedent (from one view or another). 😬
I would think a settlement ends up negotiated. All Broncos’ players working out away from the team facility due to COVID might end up factoring in, bad precedent or not. Is it worth a PR hit and reputation with the players to play hardball right now?

When Andrew Luck retired the Colts waived a lot more money in payback he contractually owed the organization, IIRC. Different team and circumstances, yes, but is $10M that much from an NFL team point of view?

Advertisement

The way I look at it:

Club: We want you to work out here with the Broncos
Players: Yeah, we don't want to

Players: I got hurt and want you to cover my salary
Club: Yeah, we don't want to

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back