Ray Lewis at Harvard Law School

D

deleted1998

You guys may or may not believe me, but I am a Havard Law Student and Ray came to the school to speak Saturday afternoon. I must say, it was maybe the most inspirational speech I have ever heard in person. Everyone in that room felt motivsated...kind of funny that Ray can not only inspire a group of football players but also a group of very nerdy law students.

He talked about when he first got to the U, all the upper classmen were worrying about getting drafted and which agent they were going to pick and stopped working in the weight room so he decided while they were worrying about the draft he would be working out in the weight room.

Said he talked to the team recently, and said he mostly tells them what not to do, than what to do, so they don't make the same mistakes he has.

Said he works out every day of his life. Only days he has not worked out is when he had to get surgery. Said at the age of 9, he started doing pushups and situps until he passed out.

Said after what happened in ATL, and he saw how hard they were trying to tarnish his reputation, that he realized that he had to work even harder to keep his reputation. Said after ATL, he changed his lifestyle.

His little brother was there and looks just like him. Ray is a really cool guy, took pictures at the end with a lot of people, I elected to just shake his hand.

Ray has such a strong spirit, I havent met many people like him. I respect him even more now, there is not many people in this world like Ray Lewis. And I'm a hurricane fan, been since one since I was around 11-12 even though I'm from CA and have never set foot in Florida, so it made the experience even better.

GO CANES!

Advertisement
what i took out of that----- ****, you go to harvard law school?

haha, just joking, that is a cool story, thanks for sharing.

Pics or GTFO.

jk.

Classy move to go with the handshake instead of the picture. I can't stand people that post pictures of famous people they meet for one second. Pet peeve. If you got lunch with them or something then sure, but a ******* meet and greet hellz no.

Nice story.

Have pointed out this quality about ray Lewis as recently as yesterday (thread mentioning whether he could coach).

/pats self on back
//takes picture of self

Thanks for sharing. It has been mentioned by so many people who have met Ray or have been in person to hear him talk, that he is a very inspirational person. He once said he doesn't want to waste even a chance meeting by letting an opportunity go by without trying to be uplifting and positive.

Shame that if he posted on this board he would be neg repped by the masses because he loves the Lord and speaks about that very much. True character individuals like Ray and Reggie White being scorned just because of their devotion is rather disturbing.

Glad you got something positive from the speech.

Advertisement
IP country code:US
IP address country:
us.png
United States
IP address state: Massachusetts
IP address city: Cambridge
IP postcode:02138
IP address latitude: 42.3800
IP address longitude: -71.1329
ISP of this IP [?]: Harvard University
Organization: Harvard University
Local time in United States:2012-03-04 11:49

Advertisement
While we are on it. What doesn't Harvard offer football scholarships?

I don't know why, no Ivy league schools give out scholarships. I guess they just rather spend money on other things. But trust me, being an ivy league athlete comes with a lot of perks.

But thanks for believing that I actually go here and for all the congrats. I couldn't begin to tell you guys how many times I've been on miami hurricane football boards when I should of been studying.

Ivy League schools have a rule that says no school can offer scholarships except for need. The pros and cons of this can be debated, the bigger question, in my opinion, is why is their tuition so high when the interest alone on their endowment would pay the tuition of every student each year. The article is several years old, so I am sure the numbers are different, but it talks about this issue: http://www.dailycampus.com/2.7438/harvard-endowment-should-mean-free-tuition-1.1057409#.T1OosPHOWf4

Advertisement

"Ivy League schools have a rule that says no school can offer scholarships except for need" - This actually means free. I am a Cane alum and IVY+ grad. Most of these schools with large endowments offer need based financial assistance. This means free for parents making less than 100k (depends on school). Of course you have to have decent grades to get in as an athlete, but the requirements are not as strict as regular admission. So if an inner city kid makes it, the chances are very good it would be free, which would mean the same as an athletic scholarship.

On another topic, great article find. I am surprised Harvard legacies enjoy such high admission rates. My old school could care less, although they did ask on the application so they don't get ambushed by ****ed off alum parents complaining about their kids not getting in.

Advertisement
Every single person I know who has ever met Ray has said the same thing. I remember meeting him in college, and he was intense then. You knew he was a different breed of player and of higher caliber even while in college. I can only imagine how he is now after being shaped by his life experiences both on and off the field.

Great story man. Thx for sharing.

Are you sure that no ivy league school offers scholarships? My cousin played at Brown on a full scholarship from 78 - 82. That was a number of years ago, tho.

Are you sure that no ivy league school offers scholarships? My cousin played at Brown on a full scholarship from 78 - 82. That was a number of years ago, tho.

None of them...for any sport. You do get help from admissions, and all Ivy's are pretty generous on scholarships. If your family is making under 100k you are getting some financial aid. If you are qualified and are being recruited, you are probably going to get in. Lots of qualified people don't get in so that in itself is a major advantage.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back