Rambo / Bowl Game

1. Bowls are nonsense from an economic sense. At best you break even, but usually you lose.
2. Players should play in bowl games because it's a game their team plays. You don't sit out the Lower Boise St. game on September 17th, you shouldn't sit out the Count Chocula bowl on Dec. 17th.
3. I understand why kids skip bowl games and can't fault the logic. But it's selfish and the whole point of team sports is, well, team. I believe the world in general could use a little more of an "us" perspective instead of so much "me".
4. I'd be against the portal if coaches and schools weren't completely free to do as they please. Teams tell players to move on all the time, why can't players choose to leave when they want? It's just not fair that the kid has to stay at a school when he doesn't want to, but the school can tell him to leave if they want to.
maybe they would be better if they got rid of all these crappy games. that way the networks, advertisers and sponsors could beef up the payouts. we have about double the amount of games we need.

Advertisement
Match ups play a big part; I don’t get how The Bowl Committees pit UCF v UF & not us vs UF. That would’ve been a huge draw just off strength of rivalry.
Besides the fact that both those people attending or watching a UF vs. UM bowl game will have a major woody... the $$$ from the event would be big.
Fvck WSU!

Adding an edit: I read your sports economic link a few posts above. No kidding. Its saying exactly what I wrote. Conferences pool revenue. We make more from Clemson going to the CFP than we do for our annual crap bowl.

Ok, back to my original response: I posted more than one article. But you only mention the 2010 one and pretending the other one didn't exist, huh? If you are trying to litigate this by trying to out-lawyer me, I promise you, that's a bad tactic. But I get it, as your argument is collapsing.

The article from 2010 was because it was about a prominent bowl and a major revenue program so I thought it added additional color.

Anyway, here is a 2020 article to make you happy:

According to USA Today, in 2017, schools ate a combined $25 million in unsold ticket costs to play in bowl games. The University of Connecticut’s 2011 Fiesta Bowl appearance is among the most well-documented instances. According to the Connecticut Post, UConn, a public college, lost nearly $1.8 million on the game. Largely because the 25th ranked Huskies were expected to lose to #9 Oklahoma and because the game was across the country near Phoenix, UConn sold just 2,771 tickets out of the 17,500 the NCAA demanded.

The Indiana Hoosiers lost money in back-to-back years on bowl games, after thousands of their tickets to the Pinstripe Bowl and the Foster Farms Bowl went unsold in 2015 and 2016. It has even gotten to the point where some teams refuse to play in particular bowl games because they don't see enough upside in competing. This was one reason Missouri decided against playing in a bowl in 2015 when they went 5-7. In 2012, the 9-3 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs were invited to the Independence Bowl but held out for a more prominent game with a higher payout and ended up going to no bowl at all. There are, on average, 10 to 20 teams per season that lose money on bowl games each year.

The CFP is a different animal. This conversation, that you started, is about kids playing or opting out of second tier bowls. You're playing a straw game. And again, the CFP money goes to the participating team's conference, to be split 12 or 14 (or however many teams there are) ways. Stay on topic. But, anyway:

Again, please show the board where teams get more money for actually wining a bowl game vs. just appearing. Because that's the cornerstone, floor, roof, and walls of your entire argument and more than one of us believe that its not correct. Thank you.

Go Canes!

Lol; I mentioned ur Hoosier article from 2017. Did u post another article besides the 2010 & 2017 articles? If so, I legit didn’t see it & my apologies if I over looked it.

OK, back to the notion of revenue sharing:

Im not arguing that we haven’t made more money from a shared revenue standpoint off the back of Clemson. Matter of fact, if I’m not mistaken, the most money we’ve made as a conference was in 2016 when FSU played in the Orange Bowl & Clemson played in The National Title Game.

However, back to the original point, after re-reading that article along w/ another article from back in 1991, it was my mistake on the financial calculations. Bowl monies r split evenly between participants; however, the real drive is match ups as it affects ticket sales. So u’re right, if it’s a bowl game w/ an unattractive match up, in the middle of a city that no one wants to go to, it can actually cost a school money from lack of support. But, on the other hand, it can also be profitable if we’re in a favorable match up or playing a game in a favorable city.

And in all honesty, while the pot has increased which has actually helped schools at least break even, there’s still way too many bowl games & that has to be adjusted, along w/, imo, the qualifier. A 6 win team should not be eligible.

Don't agree. He signed to play for us and should finish. This is becoming out of control. And the portal ALSO

That's cool. You don't have to agree and I completely hear where you're coming from. But let me put it to you this way.

Rambo is a father. His kid looks to be less than 1 year old from what I can tell. Don't know about you but I'm not risking a chance at making hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions, because some fan wants me to play in a meaningless bowl game with the risk of getting hurt and losing it all. That ****t ain't ever happening.

I'm not speaking for Rambo BUT I'm positive that his decision is a business decision and when it comes to business, it's always FAMILY FIRST.

Now, if we're talking about a playoff game or a natty, bet your asss he'd suit up. Why? Because it's a business decision. Risk vs Reward.

Right now, the risk is way to high for the man and I don't blame for choosing to sit out at all.

There's a reason why all of these players sit out of these meaningless bowl games. It's called MONEY!

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's cool. You don't have to agree and I completely hear where you're coming from. But let me put it to you this way.

Rambo is a father. Kid looks to be less than 1 year old from what I can tell. Don't know about you but I'm not risking a chance at making hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions, because some fan wants me to play in a meaningless bowl game with the risk of getting hurt and losing it all. That ****t ain't ever happening.

I'm not speaking for Rambo BUT I'm positive that his decision is a business decision and when it comes to business, it's always FAMILY FIRST.

Now, if we're talking about a playoff game or a natty, bet your asss he'd suit up. Why? Because it's a business decision. Risk vs Reward.

Right now, the risk is way to high for the man and I don't blame for choosing to sit out at all.

There's a reason why all of these players sit out of these meaningless bowl games. It's called MONEY!
seriously this. This whole stupid team **** is nonsense when it’s a 7-5 team vs a 6-6 team om the Mexican border. At least use the argument for a ny6

Advertisement
Bowl alignmemtd based on our acc finish

Absolutely:

But here’s the ACC tie-in bowls:

1st tier:
Cheez-It Bowl vs. Big 12

– Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs. SEC

– Fenway Bowl vs. American Athletic

– Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs. American Athletic

– New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs Big Ten

– San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs Pac-12

– TaxSlayer Gator Bowl vs. SEC

– Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl vs. Pac-12

2nd tier:
-Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs. AAC, Pac-12 or SEC

– TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs. SEC or AAC

– SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs. SEC or AAC or Pac-12

Right now we’re in the Sun Bowl vs a Pac-12 team

The Gators are in 2nd tier bowl game vs an AAC team.

I know why The Gatorbowl chose A&M & Wake, but we should’ve been in The Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs UF as opposed to UNC vs USCe.

Advertisement
I'd be annoyed if he sat out a NY6 bowl but anything less it really doesn't matter to me. Also I would have liked to play UF but not for 2 million less. The Sun Bowl pays more case closed.

I hope UCF spanks that **** tho.

I wanted UF in the Mayo bowl. That’s a $4.78m purse. But I’m sure they chose UNC due to the game being played in Charlotte

Advertisement
Agreed.

El Paso is just a horrible fit from a travel & match up perspective, but I’ll still be glued rooting for these Canes.
I’ve tried to do the trip. tjhe worst part is that it’s on nye. You literally have nhimg to do but cross the border (that’s what the tourism site say) but to avoid going at night lol. I’ll still watch but it’s an awful site.

Advertisement
Back