R. Scott article

FRCane

Sophomore
I t didn’t take Melbourne Central Catholic graduate Rashawn Scott long to make an impact with the Miami Hurricanes.

Only one season and a couple of spring scrimmages, to be exact.

Scott impressed coaches throughout the spring camp and has grabbed one of the starting wide receiver spots as the Hurricanes head into Saturday’s spring game.

“I just came out with the right mind set,” Scott said of his spring, where he hopes to follow in the footsteps of past great wide receivers like Michael Irvin, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson.

That attitude has catapulted Scott into the spotlight this spring.

The 6-foot-2 wideout was targeted during several big plays throughout the spring, but really excelled in the two scrimmages — so much so that he climbed the depth chart in a hurry.

In the first scrimmage, he caught five passes for 115 yards and two touchdowns. He was solid in the second scrimmage as well, headlining one of the few offensive drives of the game with a nice 34-yard catch, then caught the 7-yard touchdown throw.

“I am pretty settled in right now,” Scott said. “I have some more work to do, but am out there having some fun.”

The sophomore, who chose Miami last year over West Virginia, South Florida and Michigan State, has shown he has the ability to become a weapon for Miami and new quarterback Ryan Williams, a transfer from Memphis.

But Scott knows this is just the beginning.

“Now that I have caught on to the game, I have picked up the pace. I have to work on the little things now,” said Scott, fully healed from a broken finger and collarbone suffered last season. “Everything is just quick; you have to know everything off the top of your head.”

So far, Scott has adjusted to the speed and tempo well. Last season, the Hurricanes finished 6-6. Those numbers are bound to improve if Scott shows the same knack for finding the end zone that he had in Brevard County.

He had 31 touchdowns in his senior season alone. His coach at MCC described him as unstoppable. With a season under his belt, Scott says his speed is tailor-made for the Hurricanes’ big-play offense.

“I feel great,” Scott said. “Defense is doing good, everyone is getting around the ball. "Offense is quick, I love this offense.”

And that should mean big things in the near future for the MCC graduate.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...Great-Scott-Former-MCC-standout-catches-Canes

Advertisement
Great to see him doing so well. I think we will be loaded at wr here in a couple seasons. We have some solid ones coming in this summer.

Nice read, but kid has a way to go before he can show he's ready for the bright lights

I think, as a fan base, we are underestimating how badly we need a WR to step up this year. Scott seems to have all the physical tools to become a good one and gives us a big target at the position. Here's hoping he's not just a greentree all star.

Advertisement
I think, as a fan base, we are underestimating how badly we need a WR to step up this year. Scott seems to have all the physical tools to become a good one and gives us a big target at the position. Here's hoping he's not just a greentree all star.
We haven't had a kid be this consistent in spring in a long time, IMO. Greentree all stars have been kids who flashed this or that along wth some drops.

Truth. WR and RB both. People are burying their heads in the sand about what we are trying to replace given our roster.

Advertisement
I don't remember Streeter showcasing his low 4.4 speed all that often, he wasn't just leaving everyone in the dust. Most of his long receptions he was wide open over the middle. He made some great catches, sometimes in traffic.. but he was a one year contributor, and like I said, by all accounts Scott can do all of that. Plus, I'm pretty sure Scott has had similar Spring scrimmage numbers as TS did last year.

We haven't had a kid be this consistent in spring in a long time, IMO. Greentree all stars have been kids who flashed this or that along wth some drops.

He's drawing similar reviews as Hank was a couple years ago. I dont expect him to be as good as Hank immediately but if he can get us somewhere between 600-700 yards and 5+ Tds Ill be very happy.

Even Hank had his share of dropsies in spring practice. From the sound of it, Scott's has as Goodall spring as any UM WR in a long time.

Advertisement
I like Scott a lot, I really do. Let's all just slow our roll a bit and gain some perspective. Our db's are probably the worst or close to the worst in the ACC. That doesn't mean he won't ball out this season but I just dont want our fanbase to put this cat on a platform to be an AA in his second year or he's a bust.

I got a feeling Scott's gunna ball. The scrimmages have been a good sign. The UM football team could certainly use a "go to" receiver and Scott's got the size and enough speed to be that guy. Agree that RS will likely be more versatile than Streeter. But Streeter *could* make catchs in traffic due to his height. I hope Scott can do that.

Assuming Rashawn plays well, the Canes could actually have a decent receiving corp this Fall with Dorsett and Hurns. But for depth they need one or two of the true freshman to step up as well. My take is Lewis is the most likely to contribute early. Lockhart also looks promising. I can't yet judge Dallas Crawford, who I think will end up as a Slot Receiver. But if he also makes plays then the UM receiving corp could be a good group.

Golden was on ESPN 760 in Palm Beach yesterday and when asked who was the best/most impressive young guy this spring he immediately said Scott.
Went on to say he does all the right things, there is no question that Golden and staff recruited a certain type of mentality. He also mentioned RRA, McDermott, and Cleveland as strong performers this spring.

Advertisement
Trying to temper my expectations, but everything I have read and heard about this kid for the last two years has been glowing. We desperately need a reliable guy to step up at WR

Advertisement
Back