Quick Review of 2017 Class

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, many of us were hoping for something different: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/99/116475

QB

We seemingly got what we wanted: a high potential guy and a talented guy who could surprise. Both are different in their games and film. With the staff supposedly so big on Perry and no one on our current roster with a stronghold on the position, not difficult to see that Perry/Weldon could swing this class' outcome.

RB
Losing McFarland was a problem here mainly because of Burns' injury history and our depth chart. We now have 3, maybe 4 if rumored transfers stay on the team, RBs on the roster. Two (2) of those are either recovering from injury or injury concerns. McFarland would have served to push up the first two guys. And, now we pray for health, which is a less than ideal position. Watching Burns' old highlights is exciting because of that outstanding burst, but we'll simply have to wait and see.

OL
Great class! Love the complementary players and types. Have tough, interior guys like Corey Gaynor and high potential guys like Hillery outside. Most importantly, have Donaldson as an EE and could contribute inside at Guard next year before moving outside. Herbert was one of the #watchthefinish guys and an understated piece to the overall line. We'll see what Dykstra offers. George Brown was brought in to immediately compete at a position of need. Excellent stuff here. Surprising it comes at this position instead of what we'd imagine is more of a South Florida-type position (DB).

TE
Polendey seems like a contributor, but I think we missed an opportunity here to fill in Njoku's role. Personally, I would have gone hard after the Southridge kid (Gamble), but not sure the story there. When we didn't get Mckitty, I shook my head at the recruit because it'd have been a fairly seamless fit. In any case, we'll see what happens with Evidence Njoku in terms of WR/TE/flex.

WR
This one pretty much revolved around Jeff Thomas. I think he's unique, as I've said elsewhere. Incredible speed, but even better change of direction. A potential immediate impact guy at multiple spots on the field. I think Harley is understated, as his skill set has been sorely missing around here. Evidence Njoku looks like an intriguing prospect, but will wait to see how he grows to make a call on what happens. Either way, guys like him often play flex'd out or out wide. Want to see him get separation at the next level and see how he gets out of his breaks. We shall see if Deejay Dallas plays here, or hopefully (my wish) gets tried out at multiple spots.

DL
What we got is spectacular, I think. DJ Johnson is a certified top recruit. Garvin is intensely underrated and still growing. Jon Ford will be relied on after his first year. This class, however, I think will depend on landing someone like Logan. I thought we needed a 2nd DT in anticipation of our entire 2-deep possibly leaving after next season. If that happens and we don't land a transfer like Logan, we're left with Ford, Martin and question marks. In any case, looks like we're potentially great at DE.

LB
After last year's magic, this wasn't going to be a position most people focused on. I still think we did very well in pulling Steed. He's a great, great fit for what Diaz's defense asks and has time to get fully healthy. Probably something we'll look back on and say "hey, wish I had appreciated that more." Wilder and Jennings are "wait to see" guys for me. Someone like Wilder immediately helps on special teams, I think.

DB
Mostly led by a late surge in expectation, this is mainly where the disappointment came in '17. Taking a step back, I think we missed on guys like Davis (S) and Henderson at important positions. Henderson is the type of recruit we need to stick going forward. We don't know what he'll turn out to be, but it's raw talent we can't consistently miss on. Even if you bring up "next year," we must begin to stack players. That said, Dean probably saves this group. If he can do what I think he can do, which is step right into a primary role, he changes the entire dynamic of the secondary. We don't have to rely on a true Frosh to necessarily contribute. We can move pieces around. Etc. It's very important stuff. Add that to Bandy, who almost immediately gets a look at Nickel, and it's already a decent class. Then you have guys like Carter (possible starter next year over Finley) and Smith at Safety. Finally, Deejay Dallas, to me, is someone who should get a strong look at CB/DB, but we shall see how it plays out.

P
We needed Feagles. Plain and simple.

FyreHam

Freshman
In summary, very good class, on par with 2016 and more players.

Both classes had a composite above 88. Top 15 back to back years.

Some people would expect a first year bump and want a top five class. That's not an unfair expectation, but not realistic for a team with Miami's recent track record.

They absolutely hit big on the OL, QB and WR, three of the four big needs, and struck out for the second straight year at CB. Though it's not one of those big needs, RB was also a fail. Everything else is either good or great.

Another stellar DL class, a LB class that doesn't project to be more than depth at any point besides Steed.

A masher at TE to fit the offense.

SoCalPete73

Freshman
Yes, many of us were hoping for something different: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/99/116475

QB

We seemingly got what we wanted: a high potential guy and a talented guy who could surprise. Both are different in their games and film. With the staff supposedly so big on Perry and no one on our current roster with a stronghold on the position, not difficult to see that Perry/Weldon could swing this class' outcome.

RB
Losing McFarland was a problem here mainly because of Burns' injury history and our depth chart. We now have 3, maybe 4 if rumored transfers stay on the team, RBs on the roster. Two (2) of those are either recovering from injury or injury concerns. McFarland would have served to push up the first two guys. And, now we pray for health, which is a less than ideal position. Watching Burns' old highlights is exciting because of that outstanding burst, but we'll simply have to wait and see.

OL
Great class! Love the complementary players and types. Have tough, interior guys like Corey Gaynor and high potential guys like Hillery outside. Most importantly, have Donaldson as an EE and could contribute inside at Guard next year before moving outside. Herbert was one of the #watchthefinish guys and an understated piece to the overall line. We'll see what Dykstra offers. George Brown was brought in to immediately compete at a position of need. Excellent stuff here. Surprising it comes at this position instead of what we'd imagine is more of a South Florida-type position (DB).

TE
Polendey seems like a contributor, but I think we missed an opportunity here to fill in Njoku's role. Personally, I would have gone hard after the Southridge kid (Gamble), but not sure the story there. When we didn't get Mckitty, I shook my head at the recruit because it'd have been a fairly seamless fit. In any case, we'll see what happens with Evidence Njoku in terms of WR/TE/flex.

WR
This one pretty much revolved around Jeff Thomas. I think he's unique, as I've said elsewhere. Incredible speed, but even better change of direction. A potential immediate impact guy at multiple spots on the field. I think Harley is understated, as his skill set has been sorely missing around here. Evidence Njoku looks like an intriguing prospect, but will wait to see how he grows to make a call on what happens. Either way, guys like him often play flex'd out or out wide. Want to see him get separation at the next level and see how he gets out of his breaks. We shall see if Deejay Dallas plays here, or hopefully (my wish) gets tried out at multiple spots.

DL
What we got is spectacular, I think. DJ Johnson is a certified top recruit. Garvin is intensely underrated and still growing. Jon Ford will be relied on after his first year. This class, however, I think will depend on landing someone like Logan. I thought we needed a 2nd DT in anticipation of our entire 2-deep possibly leaving after next season. If that happens and we don't land a transfer like Logan, we're left with Ford, Martin and question marks. In any case, looks like we're potentially great at DE.

LB
After last year's magic, this wasn't going to be a position most people focused on. I still think we did very well in pulling Steed. He's a great, great fit for what Diaz's defense asks and has time to get fully healthy. Probably something we'll look back on and say "hey, wish I had appreciated that more." Wilder and Jennings are "wait to see" guys for me. Someone like Wilder immediately helps on special teams, I think.

DB
Mostly led by a late surge in expectation, this is mainly where the disappointment came in '17. Taking a step back, I think we missed on guys like Davis (S) and Henderson at important positions. Henderson is the type of recruit we need to stick going forward. We don't know what he'll turn out to be, but it's raw talent we can't consistently miss on. Even if you bring up "next year," we must begin to stack players. That said, Dean probably saves this group. If he can do what I think he can do, which is step right into a primary role, he changes the entire dynamic of the secondary. We don't have to rely on a true Frosh to necessarily contribute. We can move pieces around. Etc. It's very important stuff. Add that to Bandy, who almost immediately gets a look at Nickel, and it's already a decent class. Then you have guys like Carter (possible starter next year over Finley) and Smith at Safety. Finally, Deejay Dallas, to me, is someone who should get a strong look at CB/DB, but we shall see how it plays out.

P
Well done. Very even-handed w/ non-emotional...I'm not OVERWHELMED by this class (needed better RB & DB depth, could use another top WR - assumes Smith isn't coming here) but overall I'm pleased...LOVE the OL class, and I really like the DBs we did get. And the DL class is very exciting too.

Go Canes!

Canes_

Sophomore
Good analysis.

We definitely addressed needs at WR, OL, and QB. Love what we did there.

On the Dline we did a great job on the outside, I think both guys will play next year, which speaks to their talent as we already have a strong group. Would have liked to add one more big guy in the middle though.

DB recruiting obviously hurts, particularly when a rival is basically getting most of your top targets. The situation isn't as dire as it may seem right now though. Of the guys we "lost", Henderson is the only one I'd consider to be a better prospect than what we're bringing in, and that's all due to his potential and not how good he is now. The kids we did bring in immediately upgrade our talent level on the back end and I think we'll add a grad transfer. We appear to have good DB coaching and it's imperative Rumph builds off the developmental progress we saw last year.

To me the biggest disappointment by far was RB recruiting. Going all in on an out of state RB (who is injured) was egregious considering the other RB commit has major injury concerns and there is a possibility of also losing three RB's on the roster. Very surprised a veteran coach like Richt allowed that to happen.

redcane

Freshman
At the end of the day, the success of this class will be determined by the QBs. If we landed a kid that can come in and be a 3-year starter and run the O well, then the pieces will be around him for success.

streetja

PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE
DB
Mostly led by a late surge in expectation, this is mainly where the disappointment came in '17. Taking a step back, I think we missed on guys like Davis (S) and Henderson at important positions. Henderson is the type of recruit we need to stick going forward. We don't know what he'll turn out to be, but it's raw talent we can't consistently miss on. Even if you bring up "next year," we must begin to stack players. That said, Dean probably saves this group. If he can do what I think he can do, which is step right into a primary role, he changes the entire dynamic of the secondary.
Do you expect Dean to be able to match or come close to the type of role Corn played for us? Corn IMO was a hugely important piece to Diaz's defense because of his tackling ability. A trait necessary in Diaz's system in order to avoid his aggressive play calling from backfiring. Have you seen anything out of Dean or even Young that makes you think there won't be that much of a drop off after we lose Corn?

AK_Cane

Junior
1 CB last year and 2 this year.. better step it up and sign immediate contributors next year

CaneSB

Freshman

Some people would expect a first year bump and want a top five class. That's not an unfair expectation, but not realistic for a team with Miami's recent track record.

They absolutely hit big on the OL, QB and WR, three of the four big needs, and struck out for the second straight year at CB. Though it's not one of those big needs, RB was also a fail. Everything else is either good or great.

Another stellar DL class, a LB class that doesn't project to be more than depth at any point besides Steed.

Struck out at DB is grossly unfair. Yes, we could have used the guys we missed on but we the guys we added - Bandy, Dean, Carter, Smith are all very good and 3 of 4 can be immediate contributors. If Dallas ends up on defense, that is a 4th guy who can play right away. Ideal haul? No. Striking out? Hardly

bshaw28

Junior
I'm happy with the class. Love Thomas, DJ Johnson & Garvin. As Lu said, the QB's will probably determine if this was a good or great class, but I like the talent.

If I'm being picky - I would have liked another big time OL & DT. I think we're going to look thin at both positions next year, and you gotta kill it at these positions every year. Henderson would've looked nice at DB. We've stacked a lot of guys with potential the last couple of years, but I don't feel any sure thing/elite talents.

canecat

Junior
Great write up. IMO last season we had a top 15 class , this season we had a top 10 class ( I don't care what the rating say). Next season after winning 11 or 12 games we should have a top 5 class . Ag

Classic

TAFKA CaneClassic
Nice write up, Lu. A great class, top to bottom. We are a CB (Hendo) and RB (McFarland) away from it being a home run, but overall I'm very pleased.

And that finish of Herbert, Harley, Dean, and Thomas won't be properly appreciated because of those Gata bytches, but it was still the best close I can remember in awhile.

FyreHam

Freshman

Struck out at DB is grossly unfair. Yes, we could have used the guys we missed on but we the guys we added - Bandy, Dean, Carter, Smith are all very good and 3 of 4 can be immediate contributors. If Dallas ends up on defense, that is a 4th guy who can play right away. Ideal haul? No. Striking out? Hardly
Yea, it's relative.

It's not striking out for North Carolina State.

But for Miami? Losing four local targets to UF is a hit. Dean saves it. It's not striking out relative to all college football.

It's just bad for Miami.

And if Dallas plays CB you brought in three corners under 5-10 the last two classes. And Dean is a two year.

Not saying they aren't takes, but more balance there is what this staff was looking for with the length of Hendo and Edwards.

tampatony21

Freshman

QB

RB

OL

TE

WR

DL

LB

DB

P
Well said. I think our hand may be forced to start Dallas on D, but we'll see.

brock

All-American
Since we closed well on defense I think deejay should get a look at cb. Thomas can also play like adoree Jackson at USC. He is excellent at db as well.

AllbouttheU

King Dingaling
Nice write up Lu.

I hate the LB group we could have done so much better IMO. All three are career backups to me.

This class was good we knocked it out of the park in the trenches on both sides, bounced back at the WR spot. The class is a little letdown though when you miss out at CB.

Hopefully we crush it in the '18 class. Can't whiff like we did on the '17.