Question re: Trayone Gray

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
What's the word on Gray this year? Is he ready to get some meaningful carries? I know he came in VERY raw and his ball security made Bryce Brown look like Jim Brown... Anyone have any thoughts on his potential contributions this season?

Advertisement
I've only counted one fumble so far (on a handoff), although full-tackling will be the true measure of his progress.

He looks much, much more confident out there. None of the running backs have really separated themselves, but Gray has had the most spectacular runs. I'd like to see him get involved on KR and in the Wildcat.

What's the word on Gray this year? Is he ready to get some meaningful carries? I know he came in VERY raw and his ball security made Bryce Brown look like Jim Brown... Anyone have any thoughts on his potential contributions this season?

This stteph is on its way out, so it might as well not get ridiculously conservative in the face of the usual unimaginative play calling.

Flex him out wide

Put him on the slot

I've only counted one fumble so far (on a handoff), although full-tackling will be the true measure of his progress.

He looks much, much more confident out there. None of the running backs have really separated themselves, but Gray has had the most spectacular runs. I'd like to see him get involved on KR and in the Wildcat.

Wow didnt know that...Hopefully he starts runnign like a running back and not a running quarterback

Advertisement
As I've said before, Gray will most likely be the #4 RB. I'll be surprised if he gets meaningful carries this year. We'll need him on STs, though (coverage units as well).

I dont think Gray has the mindset for ST coverage units at all. That's not a knock on him but do we really think he brings good blocking and tackling skills to the team? We better be getting that from backup linebackers and fullbacks, h backs, etc

I think Al says he has a chip on his shoulder regarding the fumbles last year.....He is a Huge back that would be a number 2 or even a number one on some ACC teams like VT or UNC that likes bigger fast backs....give this kid a chance and he might surprise you

he won't get meaningful carries ahead of yearby, gus or walton. not like we don't have a lot of great wr's either. he should take the redshirt this year that he should have taken last year. i don't think we'll need him this year. we lose scott and waters next year, so maybe he could get some burn there.

Advertisement
I think it can safely be assumed at this point that at best, he is 3rd on the depth chart, and who knows if Walton jumps him by years end. I don't think the 3rd or 4th running back on ANY team gets "meaningful" carries without major injuries.

I am in no way writing him off as someone who will never produce this early in his career, but the depth chart needs to clear out in front of him in all likelihood.

If he's not scared he could be a really really nasty kickoff return guy with his size and wiggle.

Advertisement
I'd still like to see him at WR, but good news he's progressing at RB. In some way he should have the ball in his hands a couple times a game.

Advertisement
Really pulling for Trayone to make plays like a Cane this year. I could see him having a Jason Geathers like season in 2001 . Easy young man to root for....

Go Canes!

I dont think Gray has the mindset for ST coverage units at all. That's not a knock on him but do we really think he brings good blocking and tackling skills to the team? We better be getting that from backup linebackers and fullbacks, h backs, etc

Who's to say he doesn't? We always field WRs, RBs, FBs on special teams coverage units. He's nasty, long, fast, etc. - he could be useful. I'd also like to see him get touches returning kicks but with Coley, Elder, et al, I don't know if he'll get those chances.

Advertisement
Back