Question for the guys who have been around for a while...

ejfudd

More ads please!
Banned
How much has recruiting is So. Florida changed since the Jimmy Johnson era? Specifically, how many programs would chase quality kids coming from Dade and Broward then versus now?

Advertisement
Not really answering your question, but it was schnelly that really exposed the talent of inner city so fla. Are subsequent success led to schools spending more time and resources in the area. I think, however, schools have always come down here to get the studs. It's certainly on a much grander scale now.

Not true. In tho early days Miami only had to battle with a few major programs and Florida schools for recruits. There was no internet and scouting services and coaches had to travel and spend loads of time here in Florida. I think those two have hurt us most. The net and scouting services brought on by the net.

None. Schools have always come to Fl for top prospects especially the northern schools. It may seem like more now b/c the state of fl produces more players than it did back in the day. has a little bit to do with population shift and all that jazz but it's relatively the same IMO.

Last edited:
Probably we could have a better picture, if we pull a list from nfl with the south florida players and the college in which they played. That because I imagine that a list with all the guys that played at college level is more difficult to get for that period.

Advertisement
The business have increased exponentially and with that the pressure to get the best guy out there, and the amount of resources to get it. I doubt the level of competition to sign the best guy, does not have increased everywhere. And south florida is one of those hot bed, so ....

I agree, but more schools do come to Florida than before. Rutgers has a frickin office down here. I think the biggest difference is back then alot of huys that have the opportunity to go to school today couldn't go to a major school back then and simply went the DIV II route. Bethune and Famu, UCF and FIU, as well as FAU picked up alot of these players. The best or top of the classes always found their way to FSU, Florida, Miami, AUburn, Georgia, LSU and yes even The HO Tide! Our problem with recruits can be solved one simple way... WINNING!!!

Advertisement
Back