Quarterback Offer Breakdown: Max Johnson

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Max Johnson is a silky smooth southpaw from Watkinsville, Georgia. Piloting Oconee County High School, the now junior's recruitment is obviously set to take off. Johnson is the son of former NFL quarterback Brad Johnson. Listed at 6'3 1/2" and 214 pounds, Johnson already obtains the prototypical frame to play at the next level and beyond. Let's take a look at a future riser in this week's edition of QB offer breakdown.

Max Johnson HUDL

Footwork/Rhythm: Johnson's footwork is superb at this level. He has great tempo in his drop backs and remains tall after delivery. Does not over stride and has great command of his front foot. Will occasionally throw flat footed but seems instinctual when it's predicated on the rhythm of the play. In terms of rhythm, it is outstanding for me. Ball is out on time consistently. Receivers are still in their breaks as the ball is being delivered. Johnson's understanding of footwork and rhythm show a higher level understanding of the game.

Accuracy/Arm Strength/Mechanics: Great ball placement. Johnson delivers the ball in tight windows where only his receiver can catch them. Good feel and touch on deep balls down field. Would not classify Johnson as a power thrower at this moment. Upper extended range on film is around 55 yards. Note a little drop off at the tail end of throws but it is offset by his impeccable timing within his offense. Very confident thrower. Will throw deep outs repeatedly with conviction. Good repeatable deliverer of the football that will elongate ever so slightly on some deeper throws. Good release point and uses his height effectively to create leverage.

Mobility: Johnson would classify as a traditional pro style quarterback. He is asked to roll out heavily in his play action pro style offense and does so effortlessly. Will get his body in the direction of the target. Although Johnson is not a home run threat to run, he is very slick and adept at extending plays within the pocket. He utilizes a subtle side step or simply steps up in the pocket to create time for himself. Johnson can also extend the play horizontally and finds the escape route when the pressure mounts.

Roman Rank: I wish other high school quarterbacks would play with the rhythm for the game that Johnson possesses. Dad obviously has coached him up and it is very evident on film. When Johnson hits his back step in his drop he knows exactly where that ball is going. If the first read isn't there, he progresses, resets and fires with authority. His sophomore film is some of the finer film in that regard.

Other notables was when Johnson called an audible to his field side receivers yet delivered a stop to opposite side of the field. You ask me and I think that was a fine example of gamesmanship and manipulating a defense. Johnson will look off defenders, he will open up with his shoulders square thus keeping the safety in the middle of the field. So much refinement in Johnson's game that I am excited to see how he progresses this year.

Ultimately it's not all rainbows and butterflies. Max Preps lists a 10 TD and 10 INT total last year and the negative 4 yards for rushing in a career could use bolstering. But these stats are part of the picture just not "the whole picture." Mark Richt offered his nephew when he was still in the eight grade. Uncle Mark obviously sees something in the young man that goes far beyond nefarious nepotism. The lefty has skills. InSight will definitely check back in this year to follow up on Johnson. Rank: 4 Star

Advertisement
I'm not sure who the last lefty was that Miami had.

But Johnson could be our guy at QB from the '20 class.

Already solid size for a QB and he'll probably be bigger in the future.

His pappy was 6'6" and probably 225 - 230 when he played at FSU. About the same in the NFL with the Bears, I think.

His pappy was 6'6" and probably 225 - 230 when he played at FSU. About the same in the NFL with the Bears, I think.
Daddy went to FSU, more than likely JR ends up there!

I don't think so.

If we want him, we'll get him.

Jennings and Weldon also went to FSU.

And their sons are here.

Max Johnson will likely be the 3rd FSU legacy to come here.

There will be more.
No doubt, there will be more, but to say if we want him, we will get him is just wishful thinking. There were/are lots of players past and present we wanted that went elsewhere.

Advertisement
Yep.

If you can't pull a family member, then perhaps you should try another profession.

If we want him, I'd hope Richt can pull his Nephew. As long as we try to get the best that we can get I'll be happy.

But were they the nephew of our head coach?
Since becoming a CANE fan in 1978, I've seen kids go against what their Momma's wanted. Just because he's the nephew of CMR doesn't mean a thing, except hopefully he and his Father will listen to what our program can offer him.

Advertisement
CMR his uncle plus we got 3 ridiculous weapons committed in the 20” class with Don Chaney coming soon. If he doesn’t want to play in a “family” environment with these weapons I wouldn’t know what to say other than “best of luck to you”...

His cousin would be his position coach and his uncle would be his head coach. I've always wondered how recruiting him works in the eyes of the NCAA. If its thanksgiving and they're all together, can Mark Richt ask his sister where her son is going to school? Can he give his opinion as long as he doesn't talk about football? Does Max have to leave the room if Mark, Jon and Brad get into a debate about which school is better for QBs?

His cousin would be his position coach and his uncle would be his head coach. I've always wondered how recruiting him works in the eyes of the NCAA. If its thanksgiving and they're all together, can Mark Richt ask his sister where her son is going to school? Can he give his opinion as long as he doesn't talk about football? Does Max have to leave the room if Mark, Jon and Brad get into a debate about which school is better for QBs?

😂😂😂

Advertisement
CMR his uncle plus we got 3 ridiculous weapons committed in the 20” class with Don Chaney coming soon. If he doesn’t want to play in a “family” environment with these weapons I wouldn’t know what to say other than “best of luck to you”...
Exactly! Hopefully he will see the opportunity he has at Miami and be a part of it.

download.gif

Advertisement

Dad was drafted by the Vikings, Redskins for a couple of years, went to Bucs where he won a Super Bowl, then Dallas for a cup of coffee.

Advertisement
Back