Tyler Aronson, QB ‘24

If he ain't a mobile QB then pass. We will never see a 10 win season with a statue in the pocket.
racist wonder showzen GIF

Advertisement
I remember way back in the day, before recruiting was the national phenomenon it is now with websites and pictures of recruits, reading about a guy named Joe Cohen out of Palm Beach that was a DL recruit. I was sure the ****** high schooler from Palm Beach would sign with Miami. He signed with UF, and I’m not sure my mental image of a guy named Joe Cohen could have been more off.
Cohen was from melbourne Palm bay... not exactly a cane breeding grounds. Kid was soft as shjt when wr played them in the state championship. Only player really worth it on their team was Reggie Nelson who carried them. They also had Xavier Carter who really seemed like just a decoy who could run straight, but very very fast

Advertisement
Cohen was from melbourne Palm bay... not exactly a cane breeding grounds. Kid was soft as shjt when wr played them in the state championship. Only player really worth it on their team was Reggie Nelson who carried them. They also had Xavier Carter who really seemed like just a decoy who could run straight, but very very fast
I remember Joe Cohen. I certainly don't think he was ******. Over the years, I have seen names of African-American athletes with names that were originally and clearly ****** surnames. Years ago, UF had a LB named Willie Cohens. There was a RB named Charles Levy and another named J.T. Levine. I don't think any were ******, although there have certainly been ****** African-Americans. (Like Tiffany Haddish, Drake).

I remember the Joe Cohen recruitment really well. That Palm Bay team had a lot of talent, among them Cohen and Reggie Nelson. Joe Cohen was very very coveted. I recall Larry Coker spent almost the entire afternoon and evening at the family house. Stayed for something like nine hours. Still, he couldn't seal the deal. I think Cohen was one of those who turned out less impressive than you might have thought from his HS reputation. I think Cohen was one of the highest-rated recruits in the country.

I also recall Xavier Carter very well. His father tried to start a recruiting newsletter. I spoke to him once. Carter was potentially world-class in the sprints, I think, but something went off the rails with his track career after arriving at LSU.

When I was in HS in Brevard County in the mid-60's, there was no Palm Bay. Of course, there were still segregated schools. Any potential Black talent would have been mostly playing in segregated schools. A kid who broke the color barrier at Cocoa High in 1964 was Charlie "Catman" Wilson, who later played LB at Penn State. If Wilson had not played at Cocoa, I don't know if I would have even heard of him. I could never name the segregated Black high schools in Brevard. I had a vague awareness of some of the all-Black segregated high schools when I lived in Dade just before moving to Cocoa Beach. One all time stud who played in a segregated high school I believe was Willis McGahee's father, who was a DL.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kid is throwing dimes. I'd like to see more out of structure and on the move. He's basically just throwing from the pocket with a good offensive line.

Advertisement
Back