QB Jeff Godfrey - "I want to go to Miami"

HurricaneinLA

Senior
​The former star quarterback from Miami Central Senior High who broke Jacory Harris' passing record, is leaving the University of Central Florida after following his breakout freshman season with a sophomore slump.

Jeffrey Godfrey, who had requested a release from his scholarship, can transfer to any school that is not in the Conference USA or the Big East, says Miami New Times columnist Luther Campbell, who mentored Godfrey when the kid played little league football and starred at Miami Central, where he passed for more than 7,000 yards.

"I just got off the phone with his dad," Campbell says. "He is the process of finishing up the semester and looking at other schools. He would prefer to come to the University of Miami. The question is would Al Golden want him?"

Last year, Godfrey led the UCF Knights to a Conference USA championship and a Liberty Bowl win over Georgia. But this season, the team posted a 5-7 record and Godfrey struggled with Coach George O'Leary's demands to stay in the pocket instead of scrambling under pressure. He was inconsistent leading the offense.

The UCF athletic program was also rocked by scandal. Miami native and former Orange Bowl committee executive Keith Tribble resigned as the school's athletic director following allegations that he violated NCAA rules when he attempted to provide an "improper inducement to the mother of a prospective student-athlete," as well as giving false and misleading information to NCAA investigators.

The Hurricanes have been actively recruiting two-sport star David Thompson from Westminster Christian, who has committed to the University of Miami, where he expects to play football and baseball.

Advertisement
We're probably only gonna take one QB next year. Olsen should be the top guy.

I'd take him and have him play slot. Kid is a he'll of an athlete. Would also bode well for future recruits at Central

he's a die hard cane......always wANted to be a cane....

I dunno..i think i'd take him.....i think he would be valuable for us....add another dimension....

i think he brings more to the table than Ryan Williams in my opinion...

Advertisement
Everybody forgets how fast this kid is

He was the Roscoe Parish of Dade county in high school. Same exact player. Remember, Roscoe Played QB at Miami high.

Id take his *** now and put the ball in his hands somehow

Advertisement
If he wants to play CB he can come here. If he doesn't, then he can kick rocks.

Advertisement
I thought I saw that he was inelligible for the spring semester ( can't remember where I saw this or why he was inelligible)

I dunno..i think i'd take him.....i think he would be valuable for us....add another dimension....

^^^^

This.

Advertisement
If Jeff Godfrey ever got a QB start at UM, we'd be in sad shape. If he can play WR or DB, I'm all for it.

Kid's 6' - 180 lbs and runs a legit 4.6.

If Jeff Godfrey ever got a QB start at UM, we'd be in sad shape. If he can play WR or DB, I'm all for it.

Kid's 6' - 180 lbs and runs a legit 4.6.

Bring him in as an athlete and let the chips fall as they may. We are bringing in a huge class, we have the room and with guys going pro more spots are opening up.

Best case scenario he moves to WR or CB and can contribute after his redshirt year.

Worst case he's a scout team QB that get's us ready for all of these schools that run the spread.

Godfrey, who started 24 games at UCF and was the 2010 Conference USA Freshman of the Year, wants to transfer to the University of Miami. “Godfrey’s first preference is to go to Miami to be closer to the family, but if he has to go somewhere else, then he has to do what he has to do,â€￾ said Luther Campbell, Godfrey’s former high school coach and mentor. The 5-foot-11, 182-pound sophomore wants to continue playing quarterback in college, but “would be openâ€￾ to a position change if he has to according to Campbell. There has been a discussion with the Miami coaches about bringing in Godfrey, but that appears unlikely at this point. Unless things change with Miami in the next couple of weeks, Godfrey will be headed elsewhere. He is considering Arizona, Washington State, Florida State, and FIU. Godfrey left the high school ranks as the leading passers in Miami-Dade County history with 7,251 yards, which was bested a year later by future Marshall quarterback Rakeem Cato. Per NCAA transfer rules, Godfrey would have to sit out the 2012 season and would have two years of eligibility remaining.

It would be a crap load of QBs comin in if they ever really do consider it.

Advertisement
Back