QB and OL Still Our Albatross In '18

SmokeyRone

All-ACC
Purgatory
Yes, your horror stories about our DL concern me. But........I still say the OL and QB will make or break us in '18.

Nobody has a clue about the QB situation, which is understandable. But what about the OL? It HAS to be better. Will it? Some of y'all are wiser in the ways of the OL personnel and unit, and can probably make a educated prediction?

Having no shot at short yardage downs or first and very short goal possessions, and way too many runs for no gain IS an albatross 'round the programs' neck. It haunted us last season, and will surely cost us dearly in '18.

Tell me we got this, so I can focus on the depravity of our DL situation.

Advertisement
We're in deep **** at OT. We need 2 people to step up and provide some future depth past Herbert and St. Louis.

I know everyone is projecting Scaife at the interior but we need him more on the outside, he looked pretty athletic in the one on ones. I hope the reports about Hillary crushing it on the scout team are true. I haven't heard a peep about Tre Johnson and i'm not expecting anything out of Milo or Brown. This roster is still at least 2 full cycles from being repaired.

Zalon'tae Hillery won scout team player of the year at tackle, outperforming Herbert if I understand correctly. Donaldson also wants to move to tackle, so the competition between those three and St. Louis will be great. On the inside it's a little muddier. Gauthier probably holds his spot down at center, which leaves Mahoney, Gaynor, and Boulware the Tennessee transfer scraping it out for the guard positions, while Scaife and Reed either compete or develop.

This line will have different looks depending on where Donaldson ends up (how much weight he loses). I think that we've got more than enough talent to fill out the line either way, but wherever Donaldson isn't will be pretty thin. More than 1 injury there could be very costly.

Advertisement
I think St. Louis could be moving to LT seeing as how he's our best lineman & has played pretty well these last 2 years. Also Donaldson could be moving to Tackle as well, at least they'll see how he looks in Spring camp.

Hillery or Herbert could step up & get that RT spot, Scaife is talented enough to play Tackle as well as Guard/Center & he's an EE so he has a huge advantage in getting on the field early as a starter.

The LG spot could be Gaynor, Scaife, Reed or possibly Boulware the transfer from Tenn.

Gaynor can also play Center but I think they'll stick with Gauthier for this season.

Advertisement
Our OL will be better than it was last year. It will be more athletic and, I predict, more physical. I think Donaldson's logical progression would be to RT. Forget keeping the manimal Gaynor off the field. Lo is going to love running behind that cat. I hadn't heard about Hillery's development, but that is great news.

Our QB last year had guys wide open, all he had to do was put it on them. Whoever is QB this year will have guys wide open, just make the makable throws and we'll be fine.

Yes, your horror stories about our DL concern me. But........I still say the OL and QB will make or break us in '18.

Nobody has a clue about the QB situation, which is understandable. But what about the OL? It HAS to be better. Will it? Some of y'all are wiser in the ways of the OL personnel and unit, and can probably make a educated prediction?

Having no shot at short yardage downs or first and very short goal possessions, and way too many runs for no gain IS an albatross 'round the programs' neck. It haunted us last season, and will surely cost us dearly in '18.

Tell me we got this, so I can focus on the depravity of our DL situation.
How come you stopped coming to the WEZ, you ******* coward?

I think St. Louis could be moving to LT seeing as how he's our best lineman & has played pretty well these last 2 years. Also Donaldson could be moving to Tackle as well, at least they'll see how he looks in Spring camp.

Hillery or Herbert could step up & get that RT spot, Scaife is talented enough to play Tackle as well as Guard/Center & he's an EE so he has a huge advantage in getting on the field early as a starter.

The LG spot could be Gaynor, Scaife, Reed or possibly Boulware the transfer from Tenn.

Gaynor can also play Center but I think they'll stick with Gauthier for this season.
It would not shock me at all to see St. Louis slide over to LT. I think Donaldson will occupy RT, with Gaynor and Gauthier holding down the LG and Center spots respectively. I am not really sure who would be the best option at RG, if Donaldson indeed slides over.

Advertisement
Huh? we have like 2 QBs who will play in the NFL and another who has started like 15 games. Our OL is young but ultra talented due to great recruiting and transfers the last 2 years.

We have TWO NFL quarterbacks AND an ultra talented OL?

Pass that over here Cat.....

Advertisement
Crootin on da Oline is still not where it needs to b. Word is dat Donaldson will get a look at LT.

The '17 and '18 OL classes are actually pretty **** good. We didn't get an obvious stud LT, but other than that, I think we've done well.

QB situation will be better than last year. Perry or Williams will either push Rosier to improve, or they will take the job from him. I'm convinced Williams is the most game day ready freshman we've had in a while. Kaaya included. Him enrolling early is huge. Perry was nowhere near ready when he got here, but from all accounts he is learning and improving. It'll be a great battle, and the winner will be better than last year's version of Rosier.

The '17 and '18 OL classes are actually pretty **** good. We didn't get an obvious stud LT, but other than that, I think we've done well.
I think 17 was a start but Stefan A. just posted that Banda is taking lead on crooting Dontae Lucas..would have thought Searels.

Advertisement
Back