Q&A with Aquinas head coach Roger Harriott

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
Roger Harriott and his St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders came through Miami Dolphins high school media day last weekend as one of the main attractions. With 14 of his top players accompanying him, Harriott fielded questions for nearly an hour from numerous media outlets including myself. Below is our brief Q&A session.

Nash Williams: Coach, it's your first year at St. Thomas, but you've also won a state title at University School, what are your expectations for the team and for yourself this season?

Roger Harriott: Well, for the team to play with camaraderie and as a family. I expect them to produce positive results. Not only on the field, but also off the field and within their family structure and within the classroom. As a result I think that will lead to wins on the field.

NW: You guys have a tough schedule this year, you open up with Booker. T Washington in week one and it's tough from there on out, how do you plan on keeping your guys level-headed throughout the season?

RH: We obviously want to take an approach of humility, but we need to remain competitive at the same time. We will take it week by week and right now we are focused on Dillard for the kickoff classic. We have to get ready for them because they really are a formidable opponent and we don't need any letdowns as we approach the following week. I also encourage our guys to practice with an attitude that they need to have on game day. Every game for us has to be a state championship effort. That's obviously the goal, but we have to meet our daily objectives at practice for us to be successful.

NW: Everyone knows guys like Sam Bruce and Nick Bosa, who are some of the unsung heroes on your team that will be key in St. Thomas repeating as state champions?

RH At St. Thomas Aquinas, we firmly believe in the method of interdependence, we expect every unit to pull their weight. All of us coaches have hold high standards among all of our players whether they be first or second string. We are fortunate to have a ton of depth but they need to make sure they are doing what is expected of them from a character standpoint and a philosophical standpoint in order for us to produce optimal results on the field.

NW: As an Aquinas alum, what does it mean for you to come into your alma mater with a chance to win a state championship?

RH: It means the world to me. Coach George Smith did a great job of inspiring those who he led during his tenure and I'm honored to take over the reigns and I'm hoping to make St. Thomas Aquinas proud.

NW: You spent a season at FAU as the running backs coach and assistant head coach, what did you learn from that season and that staff that you will bring with you back to the high school ranks?

RH: The staff at FAU are a bunch of extraordinary individuals. (Head coach) Charlie Partridge is an amazing leader and I learned a ton from him from an administrative standpoint and I wish them all the best in the 2015 season.

NW: Toughest opponent this season and why?

RH: The opponent for that week (laughs).

Harriott currently has three UM commits on his team, 2016 wide receivers Sam Bruce and Michael Irvin Jr., as well as 2017 linebacker Tyler Dunning. The Raiders kickoff classic will be against Dillard on August 20th at St. Thomas Aquinas.

Advertisement
They are loaded at every spot. May have more D1 guys than last year. 4 star qb, Bosa, Bruce, 4 D1 receivers, 4 out of 4 rbs withoffers or are committed. Big time.

NW: Coach, Aquinas has a fairly decent reputation when it comes to recruiting and not attempting to bias their kids toward or against specific colleges. Have you cleared your anti-Miami agenda with the administration or is that something you'll just attempt to execute on your own?

RH: Sorry, Nash. Can you repeat that? I was just texting Sam Bruce some awesome Gator emojis.

Good stuff, Nash.

Dorsett and Linder have been representing well for the pipeline. Hopefully it continues with Harriott. Wish we hadn't snubbed Skai Moore and Quincy Wilson.

I can never forgive them on Skai dmoney. That one was a colossal f up.
Quincy Wilson is a um caliber player...you recruit that kid as well. The crazy part is he is the big corner they covet. And if not could flip to safety... He'll were recruiting 4.8 safeties anyway

Advertisement
Does anyone know anything on our attempts to recruit Bosa? I feel like we haven't had a 5 star recruit commit to Miami in ages. Better yet, when was the last time we had multiple 5 stars? I know its not all about the rating, but still..

He's a shady lil' fvcker...

But this dude is gonna take STA to heights they've never seen before.

Watch.

He's gonna blow Smith and Casullo out of the water for two reasons...

1. He's gonna have more talent. Dude and his staff are stud recruiters. Bar none, best in South FLA.
2. They're finally gonna be running the spread offense instead of that garbage they've been running the past two regimes.

Does anyone know anything on our attempts to recruit Bosa? I feel like we haven't had a 5 star recruit commit to Miami in ages. Better yet, when was the last time we had multiple 5 stars? I know its not all about the rating, but still..

Multiple 5-stars in 2011:
Chickillo
The DT from Goreman

Multiple 5-stars in 2012:
Duke
T. Howard

Chad Thomas

Last edited:

Watch.

1. He's gonna have more talent. Dude and his staff are stud recruiters. Bar none, best in South FLA.
2. They're finally gonna be running the spread offense instead of that garbage they've been running the past two regimes.

Shady??

Please tell us more?

Advertisement
We have some this year... Chad Thomas Tracy Howard. Duke Johnson chickillo

Watch.

Sta had a "middle school camp" last month. Basically like um u day so sta can get the jump on all the top middle school talent in the area. I'm really trying to understand how he has has TWO div 1 coaching jobs and has returned to coach high school ball in less than a yr.

Good stuff, Nash.

Dorsett and Linder have been representing well for the pipeline. Hopefully it continues with Harriott. Wish we hadn't snubbed Skai Moore and Quincy Wilson.

Gift that keeps on giving. I have never seen one recruiting decision--which everyone knew was stupid AS IT WAS HAPPENING--backfire in so many ways. Dollars to donuts, it will end up costing us Scarlett, Bruce and Marco Wilson, just off the top of my head. Like a slow motion car crash.

KC McDermott was a 5 star as well....

Advertisement

Watch.

Shady??

Please tell us more?

*Sitting in our stands during our last game of the season wearing his U-School gear. (scouting our kids)

*Calling my players in the middle of our season, trying to poach them away from us. (while we had a 6-0 record too, lol)

*I was at a local gym a couple years ago and saw a Cooper City football player who's dad that I was friends with. He's on the phone, hangs up the phone and approaches me to say hi. I ask him how his season at Cooper City is going and he proceeds to tell me that he just got off the phone with U-School.
"They called you in the middle of your season at Cooper?"
"Yeah coach, they want me bad."

Slimy a$$ **** bro. I couldn't even bring myself to do that. I've known kids at other programs and when I see them I simply ask them how everything is going. I could never see myself trying to persuade some teenager to come to my school.

Watch.

Shady??

Please tell us more?

*Sitting in our stands during our last game of the season wearing his U-School gear. (scouting our kids)

*Calling my players in the middle of our season, trying to poach them away from us. (while we had a 6-0 record too, lol)

*I was at a local gym a couple years ago and saw a Cooper City football player who's dad that I was friends with. He's on the phone, hangs up the phone and approaches me to say hi. I ask him how his season at Cooper City is going and he proceeds to tell me that he just got off the phone with U-School.

Slimy a$$ **** bro. I couldn't even bring myself to do that. I've known kids at other programs and when I see them I simply ask them how everything is going. I could never see myself trying to persuade some teenager to come to my school.

Dam serious business i guess

Watch.

Sta had a "middle school camp" last month. Basically like um u day so sta can get the jump on all the top middle school talent in the area. I'm really trying to understand how he has has TWO div 1 coaching jobs and has returned to coach high school ball in less than a yr.

Dude hates the college life. Never seeing your family, long hours, and he had jobs at two teams that weren't getting **** done

Advertisement

Watch.

Shady??

Please tell us more?

Dam serious business i guess

Yeah. From what I hear, he's a good guy though. *shrug*

Kids and families love him.

Chickillo
The DT from Goreman

Duke
T. Howard

Chad Thomas

Thank you. Though I don't think Chickallo was a 5 star.

You might want to contact the Browns & Steelers and let them know of Duke & Chicks plans.

Chickillo
The DT from Goreman

Duke
T. Howard

Chad Thomas

Thank you. Though I don't think Chickallo was a 5 star.

He was on one recruiting service, as was KC McDermott.

Advertisement
Back