Prospect vs. Freshman: Cunningham and Waters

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
A breakdown between 2013 University School WR Jordan Cunningham and Miami Freshman WR Herbert Waters

Size: Cunningham
While Cunningham is listed at 6'3, he is closer to 6’1. Waters stands at about 6’0 so the size advantage for Cunningham is slight, but he uses his body very well and plays bigger than 6’1. Both players need to bulk up though to be able to sustain a full season at the college level.

Explosiveness: Waters
This one isn’t even close. Lack of top-end speed is the biggest knock on Cunningham, but Waters has plenty of it. When you watch him play, it doesn’t look like he’s running all that fast, but he just glides past defenders. He is very smooth with his cuts and can turn a short pass into a long gain.

Route Running: Cunningham
At this point in their careers, Cunningham is ahead of Waters in this category. I would say that Cunningham is one of the best route runners in the country. He does a good job of disguising his pattern until the last possible second, which is a very useful ability. Waters definitely has the ability to get to that next level because he shows extreme fluidity. Coach McDonald has a great athlete to work with.

Versatility: Waters
This is another are where Waters wins in a no-contest. Cunningham will primarily line up on the outside, but Waters has the ability to play outside, in the slot, return kicks and punts, and maybe even play corner. I am in the boat that thinks his highest upside is actually at corner because he has great hips, speed, and long arms. Even if he stays at receiver, which is more likely, he shows more versatility.

Ball Skills: Cunningham
It has become obvious at this point that I believe Cunningham is the more natural receiver of the two. He has the ability to go up and get the ball at its highest point and can snag it even if it is poorly thrown. This isn’t a knock on Waters, it is just something that Cunningham excels at. This is another area that Waters will develop with more experience at the position. He played a lot of QB at Homestead.

Upside: Waters
I believe Waters is the better “football player” of the two. He has already shown the ability to make big plays and he has done it while being very raw as a receiver. Once he gets the college coaching, he can be special. Cunningham is a possession receiver. There is definitely room for those guys, as they are often the most reliable receivers on the team (Allen Hurns for example), but as far as “upside”, Waters has more of it.

Waters Junior Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvPNUjHkPJk&feature=fvwrel

Waters Senior Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGg1MHMS1Y

Cunningham Sophomore Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIQGb984PU

Cunningham Junior Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diS7F7oQ30

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some time ago, in a place where the Miami Hurricanes were a good football team, someone like Herb Waters would be an ideal RS candidate.

i like the freshman WRs that golden has brought in. i think its a solid group that willl be a great building block for the next 4 to 5 seasons

Herb is definitely an athlete playing football right now. He has a nice skillset just needs some fine tuning. It didn't look like he was running that fast but he was eating up some angles there.

Cunningham was abusing them boys. What kind of competition is he playing against?

Advertisement
Some time ago, in a place where the Miami Hurricanes were a good football team, someone like Herb Waters would be an ideal RS candidate.

Lol great point

I could see Waters shirting this year. Scott, Dorsett, Hurns, Malcom Lewis, Lockhart, Crawford, Thompkins will all be our 'active' WRs this season IMO. I could see Waters getting that redshirt this season.

crossover22[]_[];678459 said:
i like the freshman WRs that golden has brought in. i think its a solid group that willl be a great building block for the next 4 to 5 seasons

Agreed. And McDonald is the best position coach on staff so I see them developing to their potential

I dont see how he DOESNT shirt this year. You think he's in the top 5?

He may be used in the return game, but he's definitely on the outside looking in right now. If he would have been here in Spring, it might have been a different story

Advertisement
i think cunningham is also explosive not as much as herb but still cunningham has speed and versatality he can go deep and get it. kinda like a reggie wayne type receiver with a lil more speed maybe idk

Everything I hear about Cunningham's speed makes me think Aldarius....well, except brains and work ethic.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];678459 said:

Agreed. And McDonald is the best position coach on staff so I see them developing to their potential

Agreed about McDonald. That was my favorite move and he is living up to my hopes. Can't wait to see what he can do with Lewis/Lockhart/AJL.

Advertisement

I dont see how he DOESNT shirt this year. You think he's in the top 5?

He may be used in the return game, but he's definitely on the outside looking in right now. If he would have been here in Spring, it might have been a different story

We need to shirt him...We got 10 frosh that can handle the return game

Advertisement
Back