Prospect vs. Freshman: Collins and Duke

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Here is a breakdown between 2013 South Plantation RB Alex Collins and Miami freshman RB Duke Johnson.*

Size: Collins
Collins has prototypical size for a running back at 5'11 and now reportedly up around 200 lbs. if there was one knock on Duke, it would be his size, but he isn't expected to carry the load so that shouldn't be an issue.*

Speed: Duke
This one was easy, but Collins can't be sold short here either. He has a great burst, especially for somebody his size.*

Power: Collins
This one is Collins mostly because of his size. Duke has very surprising power and is a better between-the-tackles runner than people give him credit for. The thing that separates Collins here is that he will be able to run through people at the college level. Duke has one of the best stiff-arms I've ever seen.*

Quickness: Duke
Duke's change of direction and cutting ability is unmatched. He seemingly lulls defenders to sleep before making a devastating cut, leaving them in the dust. This is an area that Collins would beat most at, but not Duke Johnson.*

Versatility: Duke
This one is a no-brainer. We are already hearing that Jedd Fisch has different formations just for Duke, where he will be lined up all over the field. He is an extremely precise route-runner and can be deadly in the slot. Collins is more of a true running back.*

Upside: Duke
This one was tough. With "upside", I am using the word in college terms. I think that Duke's style translates extremely well in today's wide-open game at the college level. If this was about NFL outlook, Collins would get the nod. He has the size of an NFL back right now and he hasn't even hit a college weight room.*

Bottom Line: Both of these guys are absolute studs and will be a deadly combination if Collins sticks with the Canes. Another aspect of their games that is exceptional is their vision. I believe both will have very productive college careers.*

Advertisement
Lethal combination if we can manage to hang on to Collins (I think we will)

Collins is going to be a scary college running back once he gets in to a top notch S&C program.

Well, we have alot of time to come up with a better nickname than "Thunder and Lightning" for them. Any suggestions?

The Wind and The Rain. Relate it to Hurricanes, and while the Rain pounds on you the first few quarters and softens you up (Collins), the Wind will run right by you leaving you with no idea what happened (Duke).

Cheesy--but best I could come up with offhand.

Advertisement
I offered this for Lamar Miller & Mike James, but it never caught on, and it applies to these two:

Spaghetti & Meatballs.

Duke Johnson is Spaghetti because he can wiggle his way through traffic, just like spaghetti wiggles its way through sauce. He's impossible to tackle, slippery, just like spaghetti when you try to pick it up with your fork and it keeps sliding through the tines.

Alex Collins is Meatballs because he's the heavy hitter; he'll leave you in a coma after he runs through you, just like how you feel after you eat two pounds of meatballs. He's also deceptively fast, just like how you don't think you can handle another ball, you're feeling slow, yet you quickly polish off the last one and amaze even yourself.

I think Duke is going to shock some people this year. Duke could have played D-1 his Junior year in HS. That boy has skills beyond his years. Duke at 185lbs is perfect right now. Having him behind the giant O-line we have is going to give defenses fits. If he gets lost back there watch out.

Advertisement

Collins is going to be a scary college running back once he gets in to a top notch S&C program.

And then Sony in 2014. We goin bigtime son!

Scary thing about Sony is he is built like Collins but faster. If something falls apart with Sony though it would be nice to be able to go forward with a Collins/Duke combo.

i hope and pray to have them lined up just like this... start of 2014 season

Duke- swift, fast
Dillard- maybe a fullback 1 day 6'1, 205lbs needs to redshirt and add 25-30lbs

Collins- size and exactly the type of back golden likes (big)
who? RL3/Green/Turman I really dont think we need to take another RB in this class 1 is good enough. 2014 has what we need.

Sony- speed and size/ if he stays healthy he can be the best player in Florida
Cook- speed and good balance, your prototypical Miami RB... can RS

Advertisement
Advertisement

And then Sony in 2014. We goin bigtime son!

Scary thing about Sony is he is built like Collins but faster. If something falls apart with Sony though it would be nice to be able to go forward with a Collins/Duke combo.

I'm greedy I need them both, would be the best backfield in the country, and rival the day of Portis, Gore, McGahee, and Davenport.

Advertisement
Back