Practice Time

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
Call me fickle, but I truly believe one of the biggest mistakes Folden made (I know there were a zillions mistakes, but hear me out), was choosing not to practice in the thick heat of South Florida weather...

I was always coached under the old-school sentiment, of: "Fatigue will make a punk outta you." And that's exactly the product Folden produced, by chosing to make these guys comfortable by practicing in the morning, and at night. Maybe Folden chose to do so, because his Pennsylvanian thin skin was peeling in the heat or something...??

Anyhow, I really really REALLY hope CMR utilizes the opportunity to make these guys battle tested, by making em fight through the humidity, ant bites, gnats, and itchy grass Miami has to offer.

You can't tell me for one minute our OL doesn't need to be out there in the heat, pushing the sled!!!

CMR, provide plenty of water, and work/coach the f&#k outta this team!!

What do you guys think?? Along with competent coaching, does practicing in the heat of the day provide an added edge, in making a tougher team or nah?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know all the parameters around the H Knighton situation. But if plenty of water breaks is incorporated, guys can practice in the heat. Problems only tend to happen when guys don't have enough fluids in their system.

didn't Hunter Knighton almost die because of that?

Advertisement
They say they changed it because of the thunderstorms and bad weather in the afternoon. It will have to stay that way through the spring due to class schedules already made in November, set for the afternoon, but I could see it changing for fall camp, as the weather isn't as bad in August as March and April.

We have turf now so rain is no issue. We just need that idpf in case it does thunderstorm. We could either practice in the Miami afternoon heat, or if needed go into the facility and turn off the AC and it would be hotter than outside.

Also, I've heard Richt intends to change it to the afternoon. The reason was because he wants all of his coaches to be able to wake up and spend the early morning with their family and kids. Eat breakfast, take kids to school, etc and not miss out on family life. Sounds legit. We shall see. But like I said, nothing he can do until at least fall camp

They say they changed it because of the thunderstorms and bad weather in the afternoon. It will have to stay that way through the spring due to class schedules already made in November, set for the afternoon, but I could see it changing for fall camp, as the weather isn't as bad in August as March and April.

We have turf now so rain is no issue. We just need that idpf in case it does thunderstorm. We could either practice in the Miami afternoon heat, or if needed go into the facility and turn off the AC and it would be hotter than outside.

Also, I've heard Richt intends to change it to the afternoon. The reason was because he wants all of his coaches to be able to wake up and spend the early morning with their family and kids. Eat breakfast, take kids to school, etc and not miss out on family life. Sounds legit. We shall see. But like I said, nothing he can do until at least fall camp

I'd be damned if that was true, all them local moms gotta love Richt. What a gentleman and a scholar.

The reason they don't schedule the majority of the practices in the middle of the heat is because half those practices would end up cancelled due to weather. Mandatory lightning safety protocols were adopted across the country at all levels of competition and practicing in the rain increases the risk of injury.

Advertisement
Blah blah. It's not like lightning was just invented 5 years ago. I don't recall Michael Irvin or Ed Reed ever being struck by lightning.

Maybe during the summer you can have practice times around 1-3 when it's the hottest outside but during the weekday when they have school there just is no way they can make that happen. These students all have classes and it'd be impossible to schedule 85 students to not have class between 1 and 4 or whenever the practice would be.

Most classes at UM have classes twice a day. (Or at least they did 20 years ago) Practices were in the afternoon. Lots of players were in AM classes.

Advertisement
Blah blah. It's not like lightning was just invented 5 years ago. I don't recall Michael Irvin or Ed Reed ever being struck by lightning.

It's not the old days anymore. Things are mandated by the NCAA now. If you recall, the players couldn't take the field for 30 minutes after a lightning strike that happened miles from the stadium in one of our games this year. If the players are practicing and lightning strike happens anywhere near the field then it will be 30 minutes from the LAST strike. You could easily lose whole practices playing that game.

It's not the old days anymore. Things are mandated by the NCAA now. If you recall, the players couldn't take the field for 30 minutes after a lightning strike that happened miles from the stadium in one of our games this year. If the players are practicing and lightning strike happens anywhere near the field then it will be 30 minutes from the LAST strike. You could easily lose whole practices playing that game.

They should just ignore the NCAA and practice anyway IMO

Advertisement

or build an indoor practice facility...

Are you 8 years old?

Advertisement
Back