Playing defense with 10 guys??

onplane

Freshman
With Manny's constant blitzing from the secondary that NEVER gets home, not even close, it sure looks like we are. Is this guy blind?

Advertisement
It's frustrating to watch because it never works.

Our front four is great. There's no need for the gimmicks.

9 TFL and 4 sacks. Gave up 200 yards in the air and most was on MEs. Kill yourself.

9 TFL and 4 sacks. Gave up 200 yards in the air and most was on MEs. Kill yourself.

So you don't see all the horrible blitzes from 20 yards away ? That leads to automatic third down conversions? There's a reason we're so awful on third downs, because Mr cutie pants has to show how he's such a genius. Then brings a db from Panama City on a late blitz.

He almost single handidly lost us that game. A true Fr qb making his third start looked like Charlie ward in the fourth quarter.

There was missed tackles and blown coverages all game but dudes play calling can be god awful at times. His reputation as a gimmicky guy out to prove how smart he is seems more true than false.

KISS.....keep it simple stupid. We have a great Dl, man up , 2 deep man and let them eat. At least on third and freaking forever.

Advertisement
The blitzes from 20 yards away and the blown coverages in the secondary need to be addressed. I realize the latter is on the players but at some point Diaz needs to make sure it gets corrected.

The blitzes from 20 yards away and the blown coverages in the secondary need to be addressed. I realize the latter is on the players but at some point Diaz needs to make sure it gets corrected.

Yep. Last time I checked Diaz is the one putting guys like knowles on the field. I'm tired of these marks making excuses for his retardation.

The blitzes suck, but repeatedly sticking people like Knowles in the rotation is insane. No chance smith or Carter are bad enough to blow coverages every other play

complaining about our aggression after 4.5 years of frog stance DL's, DE's covering WR's, LB's 8 yards off the line of scrimmage on 4th and 1 and 12 yard cushions from our DB's

Advertisement

Yep. Last time I checked Diaz is the one putting guys like knowles on the field. I'm tired of these marks making excuses for his retardation.

The blitzes suck, but repeatedly sticking people like Knowles in the rotation is insane. No chance smith or Carter are bad enough to blow coverages every other play
I'm with you guys on the poorly timed blitzes yesterday and against spread sets vs Toledo. Can get into that in detail on another thread.

But, what in the **** is this narrative about Knowles? Redwine got hurt. We're freakishly thin at Safety. We knew this before the season. Diaz didn't exactly have a lot of options to toss out there. This wasn't part of the forced rotation stuff, which is a fair argument. In hindsight, Amari Carter may or may not have done better, but there was already film of him getting lost in previous games. The dude is a true frosh. So, Finley or Carter as other options. Not exactly murderer's row.

I'm with you guys on the poorly timed blitzes yesterday and against spread sets vs Toledo. Can get into that in detail on another thread.

But, what in the **** is this narrative about Knowles? Redwine got hurt. We're freakishly thin at Safety. We knew this before the season. Diaz didn't exactly have a lot of options to toss out there. This wasn't part of the forced rotation stuff, which is a fair argument. In hindsight, Amari Carter may or may not have done better, but there was already film of him getting lost in previous games. The dude is a true frosh. So, Finley or Carter as other options. Not exactly murderer's row.

Everyone with eyes knows Knowles is slow, no hips and plodding. He's not Miami caliber , so why even put him in? Like I said, I'd roll with any of the Fr over this guy. He should never be on the field. The safety position is not so thin that this guy should ever be on the field. Ever.

I mean people from his own hs program says he has no business at Um.

complaining about our aggression after 4.5 years of frog stance DL's, DE's covering WR's, LB's 8 yards off the line of scrimmage on 4th and 1 and 12 yard cushions from our DB's

It's not aggression bringing a S from 20 yards away at snap dude. Especially on third and long , matter a fact ...it never make sense. It's just idiotic.

Pull Diaz's dong from your mouth, it's fair criticism. Lets not act like he was facing Winston, Manuel or Ponder. It was a true Fr making his third start. That's scouting shows he's great against the blitz and awful against playing coverage. Yet we bring these lame brain blitzes.

LOL at the OP . We have a **** good D with a totally new secondary . Mistakes are to be expected but overall this D is nasty . We gave up some runs which surprised me but to be fair FSU has a freaking stud freshman at RB who was the best RB in all of HS last season and the other RB is huge and mobile. I have no complants about our D . It is a work in progress and still is a top 20 D .

Advertisement

Everyone with eyes knows Knowles is slow, no hips and plodding. He's not Miami caliber , so why even put him in? Like I said, I'd roll with any of the Fr over this guy. He should never be on the field. The safety position is not so thin that this guy should ever be on the field. Ever.

I'm not disagreeing with you on his ability. It's not unreasonable to plug him in yesterday because the other alternatives, who may be better athletes, may just not have shown to be ready. The second Redwine went out, I looked over at my friends and said "oh ****."

It was a big game and it's possible to be hesitant to toss a true Frosh who'd already shown missed plays this season. Of course, in hindsight, it's easier to call. Ironically, despite his experience, Knowles didn't get smoked because of his athleticism issues. He was inexplicably lost and lacked instinct on the last TD. Even if he missed the coverage call, you don't let the WR go vertical there. He robotically read the #2 WR as his assignment without any consideration for context of game, down and distance. And, that's the problem I have with giving too much credit for "film study prowess." Games are games. Some guys process quickly and have instincts; some guys don't.

I'm not disagreeing with you on his ability. It's not unreasonable to plug him in yesterday because the other alternatives, who may be better athletes, may just not have shown to be ready. The second Redwine went out, I looked over at my friends and said "oh ****."

It was a big game and it's possible to be hesitant to toss a true Frosh who'd already shown missed plays this season. Of course, in hindsight, it's easier to call. Ironically, despite his experience, Knowles didn't get smoked because of his athleticism issues. He was inexplicably lost and lacked instinct on the last TD. Even if he missed the coverage call, you don't let the WR go vertical there. He robotically read the #2 WR as his assignment without any consideration for context of game, down and distance. And, that's the problem I have with giving too much credit for "film study prowess." Games are games. Some guys process quickly and have instincts; some guys don't.

I'll be bringing this up later this week. It doesn't matter if you even miss the call, you have to realize to go with the vertical man and then figure it out from there.

Secondary is my background as a player and I was moved to S from CB and this was always forced fed into our brains...know the situation and adjust from there.

It was a big game and it's possible to be hesitant to toss a true Frosh who'd already shown missed plays this season. Of course, in hindsight, it's easier to call. Ironically, despite his experience, Knowles didn't get smoked because of his athleticism issues. He was inexplicably lost and lacked instinct on the last TD. Even if he missed the coverage call, you don't let the WR go vertical there. He robotically read the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] WR as his assignment without any consideration for context of game, down and distance. And, that's the problem I have with giving too much credit for "film study prowess." Games are games. Some guys process quickly and have instincts; some guys don't.

I'll be bringing this up later this week. It doesn't matter if you even miss the call, you have to realize to go with the vertical man and then figure it out from there.

Secondary is my background as a player and I was moved to S from CB and this was always forced fed into our brains...know the situation and adjust from there.
Same. Started playing Corner; ended up playing FS (and some SS/"monster" because of an injury). You just don't let the vertical route go there. Off simple instinct. The outside WR didn't even fake across or anything. He went directly vertical. Again, Knowles was too robotic in his tunnel vision for the #2 (inside) WR who had motion'd over.

Advertisement

It was a big game and it's possible to be hesitant to toss a true Frosh who'd already shown missed plays this season. Of course, in hindsight, it's easier to call. Ironically, despite his experience, Knowles didn't get smoked because of his athleticism issues. He was inexplicably lost and lacked instinct on the last TD. Even if he missed the coverage call, you don't let the WR go vertical there. He robotically read the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] WR as his assignment without any consideration for context of game, down and distance. And, that's the problem I have with giving too much credit for "film study prowess." Games are games. Some guys process quickly and have instincts; some guys don't.

Same. Started playing Corner; ended up playing FS (and some SS/"monster" because of an injury). You just don't let the vertical route go there. Off simple instinct. The outside WR didn't even fake across or anything. He went directly vertical. Again, Knowles was too robotic in his tunnel vision for the #2 (inside) WR who had motion'd over.

It was just terrible and I was ready to jump out a window watching that play.

FSU and duke were 10-34 on third down... so uh... idk what some people in this thread are talking about. i swear most posters on this board don't even pay attention to the games.

i wasn't a huge fan of the blitzes on the last drive either but we weren't getting home with the front four. i think both teams had lines that were gassed, it is what it is.

may have been poorly timed blitzes but those poorly timed blitzes resulted in 9tfl and 4 sacks. proper tackling and angles would have resulted in even more

toledo i blame diaz for, FSU all on the players. They were all over the place and not filling holes/coverages properly

Advertisement
Back