Phillips update

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
We are hearing that there is definite interest on the part of Miami. It has already been established that Phillips has Miami at the top of his choices, but there had previously been some speculation as to whether or not an offer would be extended.

The staff is looking into his situation, talking to his coach for information. They are trying to figure out some background stuff and see if it's even worth trying to get him in. They want to be 100% sure that he will be able to qualify before fully diving into things with him.

We will keep you updated as things progress.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];619864 said:
Do we even have scholly space for him? I thought we were full with the last class.

This is part of evaluating the situation, but if the staff really wants him, they will find a way

I wonder if he will take Dillard's schollie. If Dillard qualifies, we are at the max 85 kids - if we want to get Phillips in then we will have to let a player go (we have plenty of deadweight candidates and one of several 5th year SRs who already should have their degrees could be let go early - Ben Jones, Thompkins, Davon Johnson - kinda sucks though to do it right before the season starts but it must be done). If Dillard doesnt qualify, then no need to kick anyone off.

How do you feel about Phillips? Do you believe your Gator friends who insist that Dante isn't that good, and that if Muschamp really wanted him, they would have found a way to get him enrolled?

What's funny is everyone keeps screaming about our supposed lack of depth at DT - in reality, there are a TON of DTs taking up schollies on our roster. Even without Dante.

I wonder if he will take Dillard's schollie. If Dillard qualifies, we are at the max 85 kids - if we want to get Phillips in then we will have to let a player go (we have plenty of deadweight candidates and one of several 5th year SRs who already should have their degrees could be let go early - Ben Jones, Thompkins, Davon Johnson - kinda sucks though to do it right before the season starts but it must be done). If Dillard doesnt qualify, then no need to kick anyone off.

How do you feel about Phillips? Do you believe your Gator friends who insist that Dante isn't that good, and that if Muschamp really wanted him, they would have found a way to get him enrolled?

What's funny is everyone keeps screaming about our supposed lack of depth at DT - in reality, there are a TON of DTs taking up schollies on our roster. Even without Dante.

I have to watch more of Phillips to give you an accurate answer as far as his game, but yes I do believe the Gator people I talked to about him. They were telling me these things while he was committed to them (about him not being overwhelming), so it's not like they just made it up now that he's not heading there. Like I said, I need to watch more of him personally to form a more accurate opinion, but this info is from people that I trust who followed his recruitment and senior season closely.

Advertisement

I have to watch more of Phillips to give you an accurate answer as far as his game, but yes I do believe the Gator people I talked to about him. They were telling me these things while he was committed to them (about him not being overwhelming), so it's not like they just made it up now that he's not heading there. Like I said, I need to watch more of him personally to form a more accurate opinion, but this info is from people that I trust who followed his recruitment and senior season closely.

Thanks. I think the real question that should be asked is: Is Phillips as good a prospect as Keith Bryant, Bostwick, or Bain? I think it's a complete waste of space to stock 11 DTs on the roster and if we're going to take Phillips AND the three B's, we should be looking at sending some of the current kids who will end up as dead weight packing.

Down the stretch when it looked like we may have a shot at him, lots of Canes guys were less than impressed with him as well.

Faith in Golden though at this point.

Thanks for the update.

any chance we want him on the OL? I know he played OL in high school and he was actually listed as OL on scout. we seem to be in a great spot with Bain Bostwick and Bryant and with Ivery, Moore and Briscoe already in, I dont know that we need another DT

any chance we want him on the OL? I know he played OL in high school and he was actually listed as OL on scout. we seem to be in a great spot with Bain Bostwick and Bryant and with Ivery, Moore and Briscoe already in, I dont know that we need another DT

+1000. Would love to see more OL added before DL. We have literally 18 DL for the 4 DL spots, and a ton of underclassmen proportionately. OTOH, we have only 14 OL for 5 OL spots, with almost half of them upperclassmen that will be gone in two years.

Advertisement

Was thinking the same thing.

+1000. Would love to see more OL added before DL. We have literally 18 DL for the 4 DL spots, and a ton of underclassmen proportionately. OTOH, we have only 14 OL for 5 OL spots, with almost half of them upperclassmen that will be gone in two years.

I think, like the TE #'s, we are going to have to see what our roster looks like in the fall before we know those things.

But I do agree that I would like to see him get a look on OL just like I think Kerr will.

I just watched the only highlights that I could find of him on youtube. He looks like a really nice athlete and he's put together well. He just doesn't seem like a football player. He's pretty soft and needs to add a lot of strength.

And I don't think Kerr will move to the line. I rather see him play his position as he brings another dimension to that position at TE.

Advertisement
And I don't think Kerr will move to the line. I rather see him play his position as he brings another dimension to that position at TE.

If he isnt an OT in the making, then he is a wasted June offer. You dont need to offer blocking TEs in June when you will have a smorgasbord of slowfooted, nonathletic 6'5 240lb types who would likely cream their pants at a Cane offer in January and promptly decommit from Tulane, East Carolina, and Duke to come here. The only way a Kerr offer as a TE makes sense is if we are already planning to let go of White, Perry, and Dye.

If he isnt an OT in the making, then he is a wasted June offer. You dont need to offer blocking TEs in June when you will have a smorgasbord of slowfooted, nonathletic 6'5 240lb types who would likely cream their pants at a Cane offer in January and promptly decommit from Tulane, East Carolina, and Duke to come here. The only way a Kerr offer as a TE makes sense is if we are already planning to let go of White, Perry, and Dye.

Did the coaches tell you it was a waste or is this just speculation on your part?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back