Peter: Why Jamal Carter and not Ahmad Thomas?

Hurrikane

Band
Banned
I'm curious as to why the staff prefers Carter. Supposedly he has a low football IQ. Is that correct? I personally love Carter. Thanks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm curious is to why the staff prefers Carter. Supposedly he has a low football IQ. Is that correct? Thanks.

If Burns is going to be a CB, then I'm all in for trying to get Ahmad Thomas in the fold as another safety in this class.

You just know he is going to end up doing big things at Oklahoma

I'm curious is to why the staff prefers Carter. Supposedly he has a low football IQ. Is that correct? Thanks.

If Burns is going to be a CB, then I'm all in for trying to get Ahmad Thomas in the fold as another safety in this class.

You just know he is going to end up doing big things at Oklahoma

This

ive heard Ahmad looks like a legit safety! More so then Carter, but i LOVE Carters upside! if he's able to stay healthy, he's gonna be a G

Advertisement
Carter is the better athlete and has a much higher ceiling. He is also better in coverage. Thomas is more of a run stopper.

Last edited:
Carter is the better athlete and has a much higher ceiling. He is also better in coverage. Thomas is more of a run stopper.

That's exactly from where my interest in Thomas stems. Carter is a great talent, but appears to be more of a FS. Who is the big time run support from safety for us? Burns appears to me more likely than Carter to fill that role, so if Burns is needed at CB and can handle it, I'd love to get an athletic run-stopping safety in the fold.

All I know is, for years Oklahoma has come down into Texas and taken kids that UT ignored and turned them into bad *** safeties/corners. If they like this Thomas kid enough to take him early, let's fight and try to get him back.

That's exactly from where my interest in Thomas stems. Carter is a great talent, but appears to be more of a FS. Who is the big time run support from safety for us? Burns appears to me more likely than Carter to fill that role, so if Burns is needed at CB and can handle it, I'd love to get an athletic run-stopping safety in the fold.

There are no 'strong safeties' or 'free safeties' in football today. There are just safeties. If you're a safety, run support isn't as important as being able to cover. It'd be nice to have an all-around safety who can come up in the box for run support, but you **** sure better not be a liability in coverage. Give me a safety who I can trust deep over a thumper in the box anyday.

Not saying Thomas is a liability in coverage, but I'd rather have the cover safety than the in the box safety.

Advertisement
Thomas is a limited athlete. Carter has near-unlimited upside and returns kicks, but he needs to stay healthy. If you guys are looking for a run-stopping safety that might be a better prospect than Carter, look no further than Mackenro Alexander (who also brings the added benefit of helping a school land his 5* brother).

There are no 'strong safeties' or 'free safeties' in football today. There are just safeties. If you're a safety, run support isn't as important as being able to cover. It'd be nice to have an all-around safety who can come up in the box for run support, but you **** sure better not be a liability in coverage. Give me a safety who I can trust deep over a thumper in the box anyday.

Not saying Thomas is a liability in coverage, but I'd rather have the cover safety than the in the box safety.

I see what you're saying. But, how you say it is an exaggeration. There most definitely are SS in college football today. But, it largely depends on the school's defensive scheme. Some teams have one safety always playing up on the strong side, and some teams opt for giving each safety a side of the field and having them both in charge of a wider range of responsibilities dependent upon coverage, strength, etc. (what you are referring to).

All I know is it seems like we havent had good safety run support since Kenny Phillips. And yes, Kenny Phillips is a beast and was great in coverage deep as well but if you ask me what made him elite was his instinct to diagnose run/pass quickly and be able to come up and stop the run (often times right at the LOS) without overplaying it and sacrificing coverage ability.

That is not something to be taken lightly and I wouldnt just assume any DB will support the run well

I see what you're saying. But, how you say it is an exaggeration. There most definitely are SS in college football today. But, it largely depends on the school's defensive scheme. Some teams have one safety always playing up on the strong side, and some teams opt for giving each safety a side of the field and having them both in charge of a wider range of responsibilities dependent upon coverage, strength, etc. (what you are referring to).

All I know is it seems like we havent had good safety run support since Kenny Phillips. And yes, Kenny Phillips is a beast and was great in coverage deep as well but if you ask me what made him elite was his instinct to diagnose run/pass quickly and be able to come up and stop the run (often times right at the LOS) without overplaying it and sacrificing coverage ability.

That is not something to be taken lightly and I wouldnt just assume any DB will support the run well

I agree but I also think its easier to teach the tackling and run support than it is to teach the coverage part. Just using Carter and Thomas as examples. Carter is known for being a big hitter so its not like run support is something foreign to him. Thomas plays mostly in the box and does have possess the athletic ability in coverage. In our scheme our safeties must do both. A team like WVU may have more of a need for a guy who main strength is in run support. OU likes to have a safety up as well so that is probably why he is a good fit there.

Last edited:

I agree but I also think its easier to teach the tackling and run support than it is to teach the coverage part. Just using Carter and Thomas as examples. Carter is known for being a big hitter so its not like run support is something foreign to him. Thomas plays mostly in the box and does have possess the athletic ability in coverage. In our scheme our safeties must do both. A team like WVU may have more of a need for a guy who main strength is in run support. OU likes to have a safety up as well so that is probably why he is a good fit there.

I'm a big Carter fan. But, big hitter does not equal good in run support at all though. It is an instinct/diagnosis thing paired with taking great angles. For instance, I would not consider Ray Ray to have been very good in run support at all. But he is supposedly a big hitter. I would not have considered Kenny Phillips a big hitter, but **** he got to the ball carrier at the LOS more often than not.

I've only seen Carter's highlight tape, which is mostly him returning kicks. Definitely a freak athlete with a world of potential. I hope he has run stopping ability. It is something I think most of us here easily forget about it in looking at safety prospects and is undervalued

Advertisement
OU's safeties/cbs have cost that Sooner team numerous games in the past 10 years (see TT last year). It's been a probnlem for years, they get safeties that are too big, can't cover.

Thomas is a nice player, but we are in the position this year at DB where we needed to take more high upside guys because we took a lot of "solid" guys last year. Not only is Carter better than Thomas right now, but his potential is much higher than Thomas

OU's safeties/cbs have cost that Sooner team numerous games in the past 10 years (see TT last year). It's been a probnlem for years, they get safeties that are too big, can't cover.

This is right on. Secondaries in the Big 12 are some of the worst in college football, despite an abundance of highly rated kids.

Advertisement
DMoney said:
This is right on. Secondaries in the Big 12 are some of the worst in college football, despite an abundance of highly rated kids.

+ 1

Advertisement
Back