Owens Excited for 2014 Class

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Oakleaf (Fla.) linebacker Darrion Owens has been working out with his team and individually in hopes of finishing his senior year the best way possible.

“Right now, we are just working out. Monday through Thursday like working out in the weight room and then after we will go out and run around. I also workout with my brother and we use his gym and do stuff in there.”

Owens hasn’t always been a linebacker as he was a safety last year for his team. Despite the change, he feels there are certain things that help him make the transition easier.

“I can cover a lot better, since I worked as a DB and also I know what’s going on behind me and I know what I have to do and not worry about what’s going on behind me.

The 6’4 222 pound linebacker gave his pledge to the University of Miami early in the summer and has stayed in contact with the coaches ever since.

“My commitment is still strong since the day that I committed. I always talk to them through emails and stuff and I’m going up there to visit on August 11th for the barbecue.”

August 11th happens to be Senior Day for the Hurricanes and the Oakleaf product is excited to not only meet up with future teammates but also enjoy his time in Miami.

“I’m just looking to have a good time and meet up with some of my future players and teammates.”

Owens has payed attention to the Hurricanes recruiting efforts and truly believes this team can compete at the national level.

“I found out that we were number 4 in the rankings, I was really excited about that. So I was thinking around our junior year or senior year of college we won’t be able to be stopped. I know our linebacking core is going to be really strong too.”

Owens has a trip planned for Miami and August 11th, but it seems like he won’t be taking anymore after that.

“I’ll probably just gonna go to Miami for a visit and thats it.”

Advertisement
This dude is a ******* beast. Of all the guys we have committed on the defensive side of the ball right now, I think he's most likely to decapitate somebody during his stint here.

Whenever I look at his profile on a recruiting site, and I see that he is the 177th ranked SS, I do this:

280.gif

Advertisement
Need to hold everyone off for this kid. Think he is one of the top guys currently committed.

+1 I think with his brother being at FIU helps us a lot imo. Love our LB class, him and Young could be my fav players in this class.

I would like to see him stick.. Great size.. love his film

Great frame to add weight.

Advertisement
Dude was a huge *** safety. Just those numbers (height, weight) make me think of watching Brian Cushings highlight tape his senior year in high school playing all over the field defensively. Owens is goin to be huge here!!!! []_[]

14_954394.jpg

Entire elbow to the face of an OL trying to block him?

Yes please. Every down, if possible.

Preferably, at a Mark Richt Football Camp...

thanks

Wow. What a great class so far... This kid is going to rock! Maybe the next great Cane LB?

Advertisement
Out of all our LB commits, this looks like the only one that can step in and play right away. His coverage awareness and closing speed is legit. Not really a big fan of Young from the highlights i've seen. I LOVE Smith's pass rush, but i don't think he's played LB before...so coverage will probably take awhile for him to pick up.

Advertisement
One of my favorite prospects in this class. 5 star IMO

Happy to read that his commitment is strong

Advertisement
Back