Off-Topic Vidja Games...Whatcha playin'?

Advertisement
On my rig, which admittedly is quite good even by today’s standards, the game ran very well for an unoptimised product. There is no doubt it was polished and Crystal Dynamics/Eidos as they often do put a lot of effort into the visuals and animations but there were obvious rough edges where they had yet to optimise certain areas or ability usage. Nothing close to unplayable mind you and again it was an ‘earlier’ build of the game so I fully expect those areas to be fixed by launch. Regardless I still pointed these out when I found them during my playtime. I am confident that both the current gen and next gen consoles will offer smooth gameplay though at what FPS I cannot say. The game does look very nice with everything turned up to max so I fully expect some corner-cutting on both the current (dynamic resolution, possibly FXAA and some other things like lower lighting and shaders) and the next gen ones (frame rate and possibly some dynamic resolution for intense areas of enemies). As with most games, if you have a good PC, play on PC so you can remove film grain (which the build I played had plenty of by default) motion blur (all three types), bloom, depth of field, chromatic aberration and lens flare. It can look a bit J.J. Abrams-y at times which among other things can cost frames and visual clarity.

But does it have a geralt hair setting?

Never played a modern video game.

I do love a vintage pinball machine though.

Play Pinball Arcade on Steam. Has all the old tables from yesteryear.

Gives me great joy to play High Speed on a virtual table. I used to feed quarters by the truckload into the real table when I was a kid.

I've always been teetering on the fence about getting a gaming PC. If I still played Destiny 2 as much as I used to I probably already would have because of the frames.

If you ever decide to do it, I'd be happy to give you advice about it. I build my own custom PC's (typing this on one connected to a 42" TV in the living room, and it's a hobby I happily enjoy. I actually have a custom IR sensor wired into the board where I can turn the PC on/off remotely. xD

Play Pinball Arcade on Steam. Has all the old tables from yesteryear.

Gives me great joy to play High Speed on a virtual table. I used to feed quarters by the truckload into the real table when I was a kid.

Man this takes me back to Rockys Replay. The old heads on the pinball. The Honda kids on the initial D and tekken 5 tournaments.

I used to get down on the lord of the rings pinball machine.

Advertisement
If you ever decide to do it, I'd be happy to give you advice about it. I build my own custom PC's (typing this on one connected to a 42" TV in the living room, and it's a hobby I happily enjoy. I actually have a custom IR sensor wired into the board where I can turn the PC on/off remotely. xD

Arduino? We wired a remote to an electric nail. Used to be a stoner trick to end all stoner tricks when the nail was hot before we even got in the house.

Arduino? We wired a remote to an electric nail. Used to be a stoner trick to end all stoner tricks when the nail was hot before we even got in the house.

They sell prefab IR sensors that you can code to a universal remote. It's really not too big of a deal.

I build my for function rather than form. Mine has no flashing lights, no neon stuff.

Like fast cars that I like, it's about going fast and max performance.

It does not. Though the hair is classic Squeenix. Especially Black Widow’s. Unsurprisingly reminds me of Lara Croft’s 😄

I actually fired up an old playststion version of Laura the other day. The polygons!
They sell prefab IR sensors that you can code to a universal remote. It's really not too big of a deal.

I build my for function rather than form. Mine has no flashing lights, no neon stuff.

Ah pci-e wireless switch. I'm pretty sure the ewelink app will control some of those.

Advertisement
Killing floor 2 is a great time waister. Other than that, been playing bannerlord and scum on PC, as well as the show on ps4 and nfs heat on Xbox.

So, for those of you interested, I was able to go hands-on with Marvel’s Avengers recently and I will be posting an in-depth impressions... post in the coming days. Until then, if anyone does have any questions, I can answer about what has been shown in official videos and what will be available in the upcoming betas. In a sentence, what I can say is this game is the (albeit somewhat limited in roster scope at the launch) Marvel superhero toybox that so many people have been dreaming of in almost every aspect. I very much look forward to getting to share my full impressions when the embargo lifts in the coming weeks! Thank you for being so awesome and welcoming to someone who is continuing to pursue their passion as a side-project. ❤️
I got around to watching the War Table today and it has turned my excitement level up to a 10 for Avengers. I can’t wait to get my hands on the beta.

I’ve played Fortnite for the last 2 and half years because how bad the COD games have been but Fortnite has gotten to the point where you can’t play on console. Downloading Ghost of Turishima tonight can’t wait to play.

Advertisement
So here it is. My first impressions of the playable heroes in Square Enix’s Marvel’s Avengers... This will be done over the next few days and keep in mind that the beta goes live for those who preordered on the 7th of August (this Friday) for those of you on PS4 and for everyone who preordered next weekend, the 14th. Before we do begin, I should mention again that my time with the game was an earlier build. Not everything was perfect and by no means was it complete so as with everything in a pre-release format, a lot is subject to change and tweaks or could work better/worse with the full game’s options at your disposal, also please keep in mind that I must keep some things vague but I will begin with a breakdown of the characters I am allowed to share with you in detail; Black Widow, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor. Both Captain America and Ms. Marvel were unavailable due to story impact reasons. So! Let us begin with:

Black Widow

Black Widow plays like you would expect. She is extremely fast, versatile and agile. She is highly acrobatic and I must say that Crystal Dynamics made it a dream to traverse fights with her. I never felt like she was at a mobility disadvantage alongside characters like Iron Man and Thor who can fly. Her kit is fairly deep and offers a wide variety of abilities and a comprehensive move set that will take a long time to master (which I am a massive fan of) For a more traditional comparison, think of her (at least without tweaking her play style significantly, which is possible) as a rogue. She attacks super fast, her punches and kicks can be combo’d and chained together to create different animations that look like they were ripped straight from the MCU and have different effects on both enemies and the environment. She has a variety of gap openers and gap closers and once you get into combat with her, it honestly just feels so good. Her movement is fast and fluid but flows very nicely. It’s extremely cerebral to move in and out of melee, stealth up, stun... Again, typical rogue things. Her weapon ****nal, both ranged and melee is quite impressive too. She has a few ranged options that let her engage completely at range if you wish (think about archer or ranger archetype for a rogue) but unfortunately I cannot tell you all of the ways she can be played because two of the three trees for her and every hero were locked off but what I did get to experience made me just want to play so much more; it was a supremely satisfying gameplay and combat loop. Black Widow’s kit, while not complete because of the aforementioned trees I did not have access to, was as follows;

[Melee]

Heavy Attack - Kick and punches (including electric batons)

Light Attack - Kicks and punches

Grapple (which she also uses to swing from objects or chain mid-air takedowns in the game sort of like Spider-Man)

Block

Dodge

Ability 1

Ability 2

Stealth

Super/Ultimate/R - At least one for every tree and a super electroshock purse was available for my tree (Think Destiny here for layout and the ability to swap these in and out)

[Ranged]

Autopistols/SMG

Semi-auto handguns

High-calibre pistol

(All these seem to be loot-based but I could be wrong here, they might be also swappable by tree or by a toggle so there may be different variants I was unable to play with)

I will be back tomorrow with Iron Man’s breakdown and my impressions but feel free to ask me any questions today and tonight about Black Widow! Friday onward I will be able to discuss different features and game types as well as things like customisation and gearing! I hope you enjoyed this and thank you again for all your interest and support ❤️

zaxxon_remake_01.png

Oh **** I'm asking u all types of **** now if I have a problem lol.

Advertisement

What's your build looking like? You didn't know that rgb adds atleast 30 fps to every game?!

What's your build looking like? You didn't know that rgb adds atleast 30 fps to every game?!
i5-4690k (Stock Cooler)
16gb Predator DDR3 RAM
EVGA Superclocked GTX 970
ASUS Z91 MBU
ASUS Xonar 7.1 Surround Sound Card
ASUS Performance Tri-Antenna Wifi Adapter
650w Corsair Modular PSU
Pioneer BD-R, DVD-RW
1x 200gb Intel 740 SSD
2x WD 1TB HDD
Windows 7

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo, 4x 120mm fans, top 200mm fan

Keep in mind my build is at least five years old.

I've heard about RGB giving me 30 frames, but I'm so obsessive compulsive about having a clean looking case for maximum air flow and ease of access, I'll live with it. xD

Next build I do is going to utilize a <3TB RAID system, <$500 GPU, <32GB RAM, and it's going to be setup for multiple boot Windows 10 and a Linux platform. The new GPU generation is just around the corner, and I'll build my rig then, but I'm trying to close on a house by next winter/spring, so all of my extra capital is going toward that goal. I should be at the # I need by November, into the house by December.

i5-4690k (Stock Cooler)
16gb Predator DDR3 RAM
EVGA Superclocked GTX 970
ASUS Z91 MBU
ASUS Xonar 7.1 Surround Sound Card
ASUS Performance Tri-Antenna Wifi Adapter
650w Corsair Modular PSU
Pioneer BD-R, DVD-RW
1x 200gb Intel 740 SSD
2x WD 1TB HDD
Windows 7

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo, 4x 120mm fans, top 200mm fan

Keep in mind my build is at least five years old.

I've heard about RGB giving me 30 frames, but I'm so obsessive complusive about having a clean looking case for maximum air flow and ease of access, I'll live with it. xD

Next build I do is going to utilize a <3TB RAID system, <$500 GPU, <32GB RAM, and it's going to be setup for multiple boot Windows 10, Windows 7, and a Linux platform. The new GPU generation is just around the corner, and I'll build my rig then, but I'm trying to close on a house by next winter/spring, so all of my extra capital is going toward that goal. I should be at the # I need by November, into the house by December.
Aye congrats on the house! Ive been needing to look into sound cards when i built mine I got accessory poor real quick.

What do you plan on doing with the new system just workstation?

I was also super against rgb until it grew on me. I had a solid white build without rgb before this one. But I like that I can sync all my colors to miami colors on game day.

Advertisement
Back