Off-Topic Vidja Games...Whatcha playin'?

I'm following this with detached interest. I been playing Civilization since the first version but no online. I prefer play against the AI and like games that don't require fast hand eye action(not good on the screen stuff. Also, don't like conflict unless it really matters. Since I have bad temper I just stay away from it. But my wife plays with one of our grandsons and I've told her she needs to get gamer equipment. We bought a pair of other grandsons a pair of laptops they picked out for didn't think to get one for her. The she plays with doesn't need any. She had been shopping and the pricing is steep. I can't let her see the stuff you guys are rocking -- looks expensive.
In almost every instance there are off-brands that do just as well as the really expensive eye candy. The only places I would never skimp on would be crucial hardware... So if you go aftermarket for a GPU? Don’t just grab the cheapest one. Do your research. The GPU is by far the most important investment outside your CPU but you don’t really have many options there so never sacrifice there. Just be on the lookout for flash deals or if you have a Fry’s nearby, they often run sales to compete with the online retailers so you can win big at brick and mortars from time to time. For me personally, I am fine going ASRock on my mobo but my GPU is ASUS. I pay about $150 less for an ASRock mobo over say an ASUS or a MSI because ASRock isn’t a big brand name but I get the same specs and quality. The same goes for things like mice, keyboards, headsets, microphones and cases. Make sure the product is good through reviews but don’t always feel you need to go for the big name brands when the off brands work just as well or sometimes even better and will save you hundreds on any build or upgrade!

Advertisement
I'm following this with detached interest. I been playing Civilization since the first version but no online. I prefer play against the AI and like games that don't require fast hand eye action(not good on the screen stuff. Also, don't like conflict unless it really matters. Since I have bad temper I just stay away from it. But my wife plays with one of our grandsons and I've told her she needs to get gamer equipment. We bought a pair of other grandsons a pair of laptops they picked out for didn't think to get one for her. The she plays with doesn't need any. She had been shopping and the pricing is steep. I can't let her see the stuff you guys are rocking -- looks expensive.
To add? Laptops are always going to make your pay a premium for the luxury of portability. However, because they are far less demanded, sites often run deals on very good to great gaming laptops that can easily compete with mid-range gaming PC setups for about the same price or a little less. I helped a friend buy a $2,200 for $1,400 and it had the specs to match that original price tag a few months back. It’s a bit of a scavenger hunt when it comes to electronics but if you do your due diligence, you will find some great deals that make going with a laptop in the right circumstances significantly more palatable!

Walked into my favorite goodwill and my favorite employee said he had a 20 dolla Holla with my name on it.
20200727_180752.jpg

I've always been teetering on the fence about getting a gaming PC. If I still played Destiny 2 as much as I used to I probably already would have because of the frames.

I've always been teetering on the fence about getting a gaming PC. If I still played Destiny 2 as much as I used to I probably already would have because of the frames.
I teetered tottered on this for years. Ended up building a PC almost 3 years ago, haven't turned the console on more than 15 times since. I sucked with KB&M at first and still struggle at times but, it truly is the master race.

Advertisement
Finished The Last of Us, took a God of War chaser, then finally went through The Last of Us Part II. I can understand criticisms of it, but overall, I felt the game play and level construction was so much better than the first, and I at least now, from a distance, appreciate what they were trying to do with the story. But after all that darkness, I need some fun. Think I'm going to pick up Just Cause 4 and drive some cars into a tornado.

I figured I would post this link here, I don’t know how interested any of you are in the next line of cards for a new build but I do know some posts here have been to that effect so here is a link to an updated page containing every leak and rumour about the upcoming 30 series of Nvidia cards. Do keep in mind that none of this is verified beyond some preliminary architecture benchtesting but if these are valid, the Ampere line is looking extremely promising (and absurdly powerful) without breaking the bank. If you would like, I can also post updates to information I find as well! Enjoy: https://gamerant.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-release-date-price-performance-rumors-leaks/

I'm heavily considering making the switch to PC instead of doing the next gen consoles. I would be interested in this

Finished The Last of Us, took a God of War chaser, then finally went through The Last of Us Part II. I can understand criticisms of it, but overall, I felt the game play and level construction was so much better than the first, and I at least now, from a distance, appreciate what they were trying to do with the story. But after all that darkness, I need some fun. Think I'm going to pick up Just Cause 4 and drive some cars into a tornado.

I couldn’t jump into any serious game after TLOU2. I started playing Spyro on the Switch just for a happy buffer

Advertisement
I'm heavily considering making the switch to PC instead of doing the next gen consoles. I would be interested in this
Any questions or concerns, let me know! I can even send you a link to a site that will let you add items to aid in building your new rig. Calculates compatibility too.

To add? Laptops are always going to make your pay a premium for the luxury of portability. However, because they are far less demanded, sites often run deals on very good to great gaming laptops that can easily compete with mid-range gaming PC setups for about the same price or a little less. I helped a friend buy a $2,200 for $1,400 and it had the specs to match that original price tag a few months back. It’s a bit of a scavenger hunt when it comes to electronics but if you do your due diligence, you will find some great deals that make going with a laptop in the right circumstances significantly more palatable!
Thanks. My wife seems to be working on something similar. She is a deadly combination: suma *** laude smart, decades of high level corporate experience, bored, motivated to play with grand kids and cheap by nature.

Thanks. My wife seems to be working on something similar. She is a deadly combination: suma *** laude smart, decades of high level corporate experience, bored, motivated to play with grand kids and cheap by nature.
That sounds somewhat familiar... Luckily the last nature doesn’t preclude from putting together a banger of a rig... It just complicates things. Here is the site that I mentioned earlier to @Lokest, should help in compiling your(her) wish list, let me know if I can be of any further assistance for brand comparisons and the like; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Advertisement
Th
That sounds somewhat familiar... Luckily the last nature doesn’t preclude from putting together a banger of a rig... It just complicates things. Here is the site that I mentioned earlier to @Lokest, should help in compiling your(her) wish list, let me know if I can be of any further assistance for brand comparisons and the like; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/
Thanks. I will let her know.

So, for those of you interested, I was able to go hands-on with Marvel’s Avengers recently and I will be posting an in-depth impressions... post in the coming days. Until then, if anyone does have any questions, I can answer about what has been shown in official videos and what will be available in the upcoming betas. In a sentence, what I can say is this game is the (albeit somewhat limited in roster scope at the launch) Marvel superhero toybox that so many people have been dreaming of in almost every aspect. I very much look forward to getting to share my full impressions when the embargo lifts in the coming weeks! Thank you for being so awesome and welcoming to someone who is continuing to pursue their passion as a side-project. ❤️

Advertisement
So, for those of you interested, I was able to go hands-on with Marvel’s Avengers recently and I will be posting an in-depth impressions... post in the coming days. Until then, if anyone does have any questions, I can answer about what has been shown in official videos and what will be available in the upcoming betas. In a sentence, what I can say is this game is the (albeit somewhat limited in roster scope at the launch) Marvel superhero toybox that so many people have been dreaming of in almost every aspect. I very much look forward to getting to share my full impressions when the embargo lifts in the coming weeks! Thank you for being so awesome and welcoming to someone who is continuing to pursue their passion as a side-project. ❤
Waiting for that one! Idk which platform to buy it on. Pc, Xbox or ps....I’m thinking pc

Waiting for that one! Idk which platform to buy it on. Pc, Xbox or ps....I’m thinking pc
On my rig, which admittedly is quite good even by today’s standards, the game ran very well for an unoptimised product. There is no doubt it was polished and Crystal Dynamics/Eidos as they often do put a lot of effort into the visuals and animations but there were obvious rough edges where they had yet to optimise certain areas or ability usage. Nothing close to unplayable mind you and again it was an ‘earlier’ build of the game so I fully expect those areas to be fixed by launch. Regardless I still pointed these out when I found them during my playtime. I am confident that both the current gen and next gen consoles will offer smooth gameplay though at what FPS I cannot say. The game does look very nice with everything turned up to max so I fully expect some corner-cutting on both the current (dynamic resolution, possibly FXAA and some other things like lower lighting and shaders) and the next gen ones (frame rate and possibly some dynamic resolution for intense areas of enemies). As with most games, if you have a good PC, play on PC so you can remove film grain (which the build I played had plenty of by default) motion blur (all three types), bloom, depth of field, chromatic aberration and lens flare. It can look a bit J.J. Abrams-y at times which among other things can cost frames and visual clarity.

Advertisement
Back