Off-Topic Vidja Games...Whatcha playin'?

Phenomenal RTS from a group of developers who in large part made up the talented group behind the original Command and Conquer; Westwood Studios. Some of the best ‘longboat’ warfare and a game that even without mods I would emphatically recommend to any RTS fan and doubly so for any Star Wars fan. A remaster or a sequel to Empire at War is absolutely at the top of my dream game list... Right above a proper epic-scale Lord of the Rings RPG and a sequel to the Marvel Ultimate Alliance franchise (No, MUA 3: The Black Order does not count.) I was actually able to play Squadrons recently and I can confidently say if you enjoy games like Elite Dangerous, you will absolutely love it. The depth of gameplay and customisation really shocked me in the best possible way. Feel free to ask any questions you have about it, I am pretty sure I can talk freely about everything but the campaign!
awesome stuff. I’ll pm you later man.

Advertisement
I recently finished final fantasy 7. Went back to play some of 15 too. Mostly been on the division and destiny. Today I’m going to pull out my Xbox 360 and go old school and play some fable for the weekend.
Sadly FF is not something (besides XIV) that I ever got too into. Division will always have a place in my heart but as I mentioned in a previous post, I use controllers for shooters on PC so my enjoyment with the more RPG-esque ones is diminished... Old school RPGs are so much fun to revisit because most hold up surprisingly well today, Fable inlcuded. I just got on an RPG kick, played some of the under-appreciated masterpiece from McFarlane (Spawn creator), big names who worked on Oblivion and R.A. Salvatore called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. There is a remaster coming in a few months, could not recommend more if I tried... Now I am on to try to tackle, finally, Dragon Age Inquisition... It’s been slow going so far xD I think I heard there was a new Fable project on the horizon? Interested in that as well?

Sadly FF is not something (besides XIV) that I ever got too into. Division will always have a place in my heart but as I mentioned in a previous post, I use controllers for shooters on PC so my enjoyment with the more RPG-esque ones is diminished... Old school RPGs are so much fun to revisit because most hold up surprisingly well today, Fable inlcuded. I just got on an RPG kick, played some of the under-appreciated masterpiece from McFarlane (Spawn creator), big names who worked on Oblivion and R.A. Salvatore called Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. There is a remaster coming in a few months, could not recommend more if I tried... Now I am on to try to tackle, finally, Dragon Age Inquisition... It’s been slow going so far xD I think I heard there was a new Fable project on the horizon? Interested in that as well?
All the ff games aren’t good but the good ones are really good. 9 to me is the best but 7 is the most complete one. And yeah they announced a new fable yesterday or the day before at the Xbox event. I want to get back into PC gaming as an adult, as a kid I was big on Guild Wars

All the ff games aren’t good but the good ones are really good. 9 to me is the best but 7 is the most complete one. And yeah they announced a new fable yesterday or the day before at the Xbox event. I want to get back into PC gaming as an adult, as a kid I was big on Guild Wars
I have heard that exact thing from many of the people I would play XIV with. Though there was never a consensus on exactly which games -were- good minus VII and I think X? Or one of the spinoffs of X?
Oh wow, Guild Wars... One of the only MMOs that ever really got combat somewhat right. Loved my Thief when I played, did double dagger/double pistol. Still waiting for the one to do it exactly right but that might be a pipe dream at this point. Seems for whatever reason that MMOs just cannot have that Witcher/Souls/For Honor style of really tight, responsive and weighty combat... **** shame, truly.
Anyways, should you ever need any help when it comes to PCs, there are a few people on here that have built some pretty impressive rigs @5ringshowboutu is one that comes to mind and I can also be of service there. I just love sitting down and advising or helping others in regards to PC gaming setups so feel free to hit me up and we will talk in depth about the state of things and what I would, personally, recommend!

Anyone see the halo infinite demo yesterday? I’m getting it regardless but it felt a bit underwhelming to me

Advertisement
I have heard that exact thing from many of the people I would play XIV with. Though there was never a consensus on exactly which games -were- good minus VII and I think X? Or one of the spinoffs of X?
Oh wow, Guild Wars... One of the only MMOs that ever really got combat somewhat right. Loved my Thief when I played, did double dagger/double pistol. Still waiting for the one to do it exactly right but that might be a pipe dream at this point. Seems for whatever reason that MMOs just cannot have that Witcher/Souls/For Honor style of really tight, responsive and weighty combat... **** shame, truly.
Anyways, should you ever need any help when it comes to PCs, there are a few people on here that have built some pretty impressive rigs @5ringshowboutu is one that comes to mind and I can also be of service there. I just love sitting down and advising or helping others in regards to PC gaming setups so feel free to hit me up and we will talk in depth about the state of things and what I would, personally, recommend!
If you ask me the only ones I would highly recommend are 6, 7, 9, 13 and 15. Other than that I guess it’s just gamers preference but those 5 shouldn’t miss with anybody. And thanks for that! This is my first time even seeing this thread man

If you ask me the only ones I would highly recommend are 6, 7, 9, 13 and 15. Other than that I guess it’s just gamers preference but those 5 shouldn’t miss with anybody. And thanks for that! This is my first time even seeing this thread man
It is absolutely my pleasure! I will look into as many of those as I can, thank you. Yeah, I have been around for a year or so as a reader, love the community here but outside of some UGA football friends who are still very involved with the program’s going ons, I have very little to add to the whole football side of things here and I am by no means an insider like Cribby, yourself and a few others... So when @Dan E. Dangerously set this thread up, it was very exciting because I could actually speak about something I did know about! As my profile says, I got interested in Miami because of Coach Richt through knowing him pretty well during my time at UGA so when he went to Miami, I became a fan and now I am approaching the level of super fan I think, I know all the players, all the coaches and a lot of the legends by heart and nothing gets me more excited than the Miami Hurricanes football program! Though I am still a neophyte when it comes to the Xs and Os of the sport of football xD

It is absolutely my pleasure! I will look into as many of those as I can, thank you. Yeah, I have been around for a year or so as a reader, love the community here but outside of some UGA football friends who are still very involved with the program’s going ons, I have very little to add to the whole football side of things here and I am by no means an insider like Cribby, yourself and a few others... So when @Dan E. Dangerously set this thread up, it was very exciting because I could actually speak about something I did know about! As my profile says, I got interested in Miami because of Coach Richt through knowing him pretty well during my time at UGA so when he went to Miami, I became a fan and now I am approaching the level of super fan I think, I know all the players, all the coaches and a lot of the legends by heart and nothing gets me more excited than the Miami Hurricanes football program! Though I am still a neophyte when it comes to the Xs and Os of the sport of football xD
I was a coach richt fan during his years at Georgia. I always watched games he had some really good teams. My grandpa was a coach and I come from a pretty athletic family so I just naturally gravitated towards sports although coaching/recruiting was more of my passion even tho I was pretty good at the hs level. Video games were my moms way of keeping me busy I grew up in a tough neighborhood and after school all my friends did other things. If I made good grades she brought me another game or something to play.. it wasn’t until I was in like 8th grade she loosened up lol

Anyone see the halo infinite demo yesterday? I’m getting it regardless but it felt a bit underwhelming to me
So I think the issue that the game had from a technical perspective was due to the fact that, as Microsoft is discovering, even with these new consoles 4K 60 is very hard to achieve. Especially at that low of a price point. So, because that gameplay was at 4K 60, you are seeing Infinite’s graphics be scaled back to achieve that frame rate... The reason I believe this is the sheer difference between some of the world lighting, the particle effects and the bloom being crisp and very high visual fidelity (which usually speaks to the quality of the engine at large) and the fairly low poly textures and shaders of the grass, vehicles and certainly the skin and bodies of the creatures. Even Chief looked a little low-rez. It was a bad look but I truly do think it was because Microsoft has their priorities backwards as far as what people actually desire. No point in having a game running at a much higher resolution of your textures and shaders are lower resolution. It actually makes the game look even worse than if it was just done at 1080 or 1440. The gameplay itself was very Halo 3... Which will divide the Halo community but I think overall it is a good direction. The pseudo-open world aspect is concerning... I played Gears 5 and while I loved the game overall, I felt the ‘open world’ parts were unnecessary and detracted from the overall flow of the title. The same may occur here if 343 has not done their Ubisoft homework with ‘bigger isn’t always better’. Overall it looked like a fairly good title but I am with you, in almost every way minus the gun variety shown, it was underwhelming for a flagship next-hen launch title. Thankfully it will be on PC though so at least it should look better on release on certain rigs!

Advertisement
I was a coach richt fan during his years at Georgia. I always watched games he had some really good teams. My grandpa was a coach and I come from a pretty athletic family so I just naturally gravitated towards sports although coaching/recruiting was more of my passion even tho I was pretty good at the hs level. Video games were my moms way of keeping me busy I grew up in a tough neighborhood and after school all my friends did other things. If I made good grades she brought me another game or something to play.. it wasn’t until I was in like 8th grade she loosened up lol
Wow. That is so cool! I am from England originally and being a female I didn’t really get a chance to play a lot of the higher impact sports. I did tennis and some footy (soccer) but nothing else. No rugby or the like but even growing up I watched some European Football... I think the Galaxy and Fire were my two favourite teams so I was very sad when that league ended and the only real football I got to watch was when the teams would play their games at Wembley a time or two a year. Coming to the US wasn’t really my choice but it let me get more involved in football from a fan perspective and as I said, I met some great guys during my time at UGA and I am honoured to still be friends with a few of them and grateful they taught me some of the basics because I didn’t even understand all the positions on the field when I watched back in England! On the part of getting video games as an incentive for good grades? That is so cool! My parents were similar though they never really let me play any games that weren’t rated E so I missed out on a loooot of great older games. Thankfully when I was 14 I started being able to buy my own games but before then, yeah, same deal... My parents strictly controlled what I played... Well, minus MMOs. For some reason a game where I can interact with a bunch of strangers who were way older than me without filters as a 12 years old girl was A O K with them! Go figure... That is so neat that you were ‘pretty good’ at a high school level! I cannot imagine what it is like for these kids, all this attention, all this pressure and all the spotlights, knowing the decision they make will possibly impact them for the next decade or two... My best friend is in the NFL now and he was not very highly rated coming out of HS but he talked about his recruitment and it still sounded insane. What was it like for you, the pressure and such? How did you deal with it?

Wow. That is so cool! I am from England originally and being a female I didn’t really get a chance to play a lot of the higher impact sports. I did tennis and some footy (soccer) but nothing else. No rugby or the like but even growing up I watched some European Football... I think the Galaxy and Fire were my two favourite teams so I was very sad when that league ended and the only real football I got to watch was when the teams would play their games at Wembley a time or two a year. Coming to the US wasn’t really my choice but it let me get more involved in football from a fan perspective and as I said, I met some great guys during my time at UGA and I am honoured to still be friends with a few of them and grateful they taught me some of the basics because I didn’t even understand all the positions on the field when I watched back in England! On the part of getting video games as an incentive for good grades? That is so cool! My parents were similar though they never really let me play any games that weren’t rated E so I missed out on a loooot of great older games. Thankfully when I was 14 I started being able to buy my own games but before then, yeah, same deal... My parents strictly controlled what I played... Well, minus MMOs. For some reason a game where I can interact with a bunch of strangers who were way older than me without filters as a 12 years old girl was A O K with them! Go figure... That is so neat that you were ‘pretty good’ at a high school level! I cannot imagine what it is like for these kids, all this attention, all this pressure and all the spotlights, knowing the decision they make will possibly impact them for the next decade or two... My best friend is in the NFL now and he was not very highly rated coming out of HS but he talked about his recruitment and it still sounded insane. What was it like for you, the pressure and such? How did you deal with it?
I’ve been dying to go to England. My girlfriend had been twice already but that was before we met. As far as being recruited I wasn’t a very sought out recruit because of injuries towards to the end or my high school career but track I was pretty dang good. Won my district in the 100m every year and I was recruited for that. But both of my younger brother got recruited pretty heavily and for them they learned to get new hobbies to take their phones out of their hands lol mom and I handled a lot of their recruit memes and our dad took them everywhere they needed to be but they just wanted to be normal kids they weren’t really big on attention. I’m around a lot of recruits still do to my dad being a 7 on 7 coach and part of what I do to help is helping them manage those relationships and still feel like a regular kid because it’s very overwhelming for a lot of them

I’ve been dying to go to England. My girlfriend had been twice already but that was before we met. As far as being recruited I wasn’t a very sought out recruit because of injuries towards to the end or my high school career but track I was pretty dang good. Won my district in the 100m every year and I was recruited for that. But both of my younger brother got recruited pretty heavily and for them they learned to get new hobbies to take their phones out of their hands lol mom and I handled a lot of their recruit memes and our dad took them everywhere they needed to be but they just wanted to be normal kids they weren’t really big on attention. I’m around a lot of recruits still do to my dad being a 7 on 7 coach and part of what I do to help is helping them manage those relationships and still feel like a regular kid because it’s very overwhelming for a lot of them
Oh my God I can only imagine... That is a wonderful thing you do honestly and I am positive those young men appreciate it immensely. I ended up at UGA on an equestrian scholarship but it didn’t work out. Prior injuries I had really hurt me (would not recommend getting trampled by a horse) but I remained, mostly due to the people I met and the fact that I wasn’t exactly the most familiar with the country as a whole. As far as England is concerned, that would require an entire separate conversation but suffice it to say I do recommend visiting whenever you are able. God willing, next year! The one thing you will be immediately awed by is the history and the age of the buildings you will go into. Most of them, especially in the west of London or, say, really any of the lowland shires will have houses and businesses that go back to the 14-1500s. I have a funny little story about when I went to Jamestown, Virginia on a trip at UGA... We were going through the colonial area up there and the tour guide said ‘this blacksmith you see here was built over two-hundred years ago!’ and I, honest to God, scoffed and said ‘big deal, my besties flat had a toilet that was three-hundred.’ I got a lot of very mean looks that day... I forget how young the US is so for most people over here, 200 is ancient xD Oh and the other big difference will be the pace of life. The US is much more brisk, I have learned. Do try to get up north though. That is where I am from. You will not regret it! (Far less touristy with just as much to see)

Advertisement
Oh my God I can only imagine... That is a wonderful thing you do honestly and I am positive those young men appreciate it immensely. I ended up at UGA on an equestrian scholarship but it didn’t work out. Prior injuries I had really hurt me (would not recommend getting trampled by a horse) but I remained, mostly due to the people I met and the fact that I wasn’t exactly the most familiar with the country as a whole. As far as England is concerned, that would require an entire separate conversation but suffice it to say I do recommend visiting whenever you are able. God willing, next year! The one thing you will be immediately awed by is the history and the age of the buildings you will go into. Most of them, especially in the west of London or, say, really any of the lowland shires will have houses and businesses that go back to the 14-1500s. I have a funny little story about when I went to Jamestown, Virginia on a trip at UGA... We were going through the colonial area up there and the tour guide said ‘this blacksmith you see here was built over two-hundred years ago!’ and I, honest to God, scoffed and said ‘big deal, my besties flat had a toilet that was three-hundred.’ I got a lot of very mean looks that day... I forget how young the US is so for most people over here, 200 is ancient xD Oh and the other big difference will be the pace of life. The US is much more brisk, I have learned. Do try to get up north though. That is where I am from. You will not regret it! (Far less touristy with just as much to see)
Thank you for all of that! I have been dying to get there and I actually have money saved up dedicated for the trip so I’ll make it there hopefully early next year. I plan on seeing Switzerland as well. I know the US is relatively young and that’s insane to think about but I’m pretty into history

Finally went back and played Minerva’s Den from Bioshock 2. What a game series.
Ah yes, BioShock. What a cutesy, sunshine-pumping surface level game... That is actually one of the most mind bending and psychologically twisted retrofuturistic journeys ever put into video game form. Fabulous series. Hopeful at some point it gets continued... Ah, would you kindly 2K?

Thank you for all of that! I have been dying to get there and I actually have money saved up dedicated for the trip so I’ll make it there hopefully early next year. I plan on seeing Switzerland as well. I know the US is relatively young and that’s insane to think about but I’m pretty into history
You and I both. My family has some seriously cool ties to the Scottish royal line and the Earls so I got very into history at a young age, being surrounded by it as I was. I consider myself more of a war buff than a history buff but I can still go into most Intellectual world history conversations, hold my own and even elicit a few ‘wows’! Switzerland has some very fascinating history windows, with their relations to Hanseatic League as well as the Holy Roman Empire (I think? Not an area of expertise for me) but certainly from a cultural perspective and to a lesser degree, the mercenaries they had fighting in just about every engagement in Central Europe during the late Industrial Age, they are absolutely a wonderful country to be intrigued by. Any particular reason you wish to go to Switzerland though?

Advertisement
You and I both. My family has some seriously cool ties to the Scottish royal line and the Earls so I got very into history at a young age, being surrounded by it as I was. I consider myself more of a war buff than a history buff but I can still go into most Intellectual world history conversations, hold my own and even elicit a few ‘wows’! Switzerland has some very fascinating history windows, with their relations to Hanseatic League as well as the Holy Roman Empire (I think? Not an area of expertise for me) but certainly from a cultural perspective and to a lesser degree, the mercenaries they had fighting in just about every engagement in Central Europe during the late Industrial Age, they are absolutely a wonderful country to be intrigued by. Any particular reason you wish to go to Switzerland though?
May sound weird but I had a reoccurring dream when I was like 15 and it happened at least once a week for about 2 months and I was always on a mountain. I described the mountain to a teacher I had who was pretty well traveled and he told me I was describing the Matterhorn lol ever since then I’ve just kind of had a thing with Switzerland

May sound weird but I had a reoccurring dream when I was like 15 and it happened at least once a week for about 2 months and I was always on a mountain. I described the mountain to a teacher I had who was pretty well traveled and he told me I was describing the Matterhorn lol ever since then I’ve just kind of had a thing with Switzerland
Ooh! Well I mean as far as reasons to visit go? That is a pretty damned enticing one. When it gets closer to time for you to take that visit, assuming we are both still around on here, make sure to let me know so I can wish you well. The Matterhorn is certainly one of the more recognisable mountains in the Alps and when you go, you have to take some pictures! I know for a fact that those landscapes are simply breathtaking and difficult to properly describe. In fact a lot of high fantasy mountain ranges borrow directly from the Alps in terms of appearance and size/scale. To swing the post back on the topic of the thread (we can derail it again later, don’t worry!), what games coming up have you interested? For me it’s Cyberpunk, Marvel’s Avengers and hopefully in the not too distant future it will be Starfield.

Ooh! Well I mean as far as reasons to visit go? That is a pretty damned enticing one. When it gets closer to time for you to take that visit, assuming we are both still around on here, make sure to let me know so I can wish you well. The Matterhorn is certainly one of the more recognisable mountains in the Alps and when you go, you have to take some pictures! I know for a fact that those landscapes are simply breathtaking and difficult to properly describe. In fact a lot of high fantasy mountain ranges borrow directly from the Alps in terms of appearance and size/scale. To swing the post back on the topic of the thread (we can derail it again later, don’t worry!), what games coming up have you interested? For me it’s Cyberpunk, Marvel’s Avengers and hopefully in the not too distant future it will be Starfield.
Personally avengers, cyberpunk, far cry 6

Personally avengers, cyberpunk, far cry 6
Glad to see we are both in agreement there. Far Cry 6 I will have to see a little more about, some gameplay and such, before I am fully invested in it but it is certainly a title to keep an eye on for me! It’s funny too, I posted earlier that I want a proper sequel to Marvel Ultimate Alliance and while I still do hope we get one, everything I am seeing from Marvel’s Avengers has me thinking that it will be a love letter to people like me who want said sequel... Just with more in-depth (hopefully) gameplay to offset a much smaller roster. Though I have it on good authority that the roster we have so far is incomplete and Crystal Dynamics are intentionally holding back on some other members of the launch roster. I fully expect the game will have the vast majority of the MCU heroes by this time next year... And if they are truly serious about the game being a live service for many years? It could end up being a more consumer-friendly version of Destiny’s business model but with Marvel heroes and villains. It’s a little hard for me to keep my excitement down here xD (I could talk about Cyberpunk but everyone knows how hyped that game is and how promising it looks and how great it could be so I don’t see the need)

Advertisement
Back