OT: UM Researchers Develop 30 min Coronavirus Test

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
This is what is really killing the us with regards to fighting the outbreak. Ready available tests and tests that work. It's pretty much how S Korea was able to get ahead. They developed tests quickly and they developed A LOT of them.

The hidden dangers in all of this, besides the obvious, is who is going to take care of the sick IF the medical community and first responders get the virus?
FOR THE RECORD.

John Campbell getting the Corona Beer Virus does not mean Nelson is a "starter".

I'm just saying...hahahaha.

BS85

Recruit
Like Trump or not, he is hard taskmaster and has way of forcing these places to move faster. I've seen some stuff that indicates this virus gets in the nose somewhere-- effecting taste and smell. As you say, the accuracy of the test matters. If it lets virus slip though it is limited use.
Not sure if joking

NDE

Sophomore
Banned
Like Trump or not, he is hard taskmaster and has way of forcing these places to move faster. I've seen some stuff that indicates this virus gets in the nose somewhere-- effecting taste and smell. As you say, the accuracy of the test matters. If it lets virus slip though it is limited use.
You are delusional, LOL. This guy is the reason why additional thousands will be killed in the US. This clown has had numerous, numerous failures in addressing this pandemic. Let's start with his speech where he publicly stated that the COCID-19 pandemic was a "DEMOCRATIC HOAX". This is not my quote but a direct quote of this Clown of a President we have.

This is where the blame belongs. His delay has killed hundreds, and soon thousands.
MEDIA=youtube]

ilovelamp51

Be a cheeseburger
You are delusional, LOL. This guy is the reason why additional thousands will be killed in the US. This clown has had numerous, numerous failures in addressing this pandemic. Let's start with his speech where he publicly stated that the COCID-19 pandemic was a "DEMOCRATIC HOAX". This is not my quote but a direct quote of this Clown of a President we have.

This is where the blame belongs. His delay has killed hundreds, and soon thousands.
MEDIA=youtube]
You sound ridiculous.. It’s a good thing you have 4 1/2 more years to convince me of this crazy talk.

WR Cane

Junior
Emmert and the NCAA already thinking of ways to put the Death Penalty on Miami if this passes.

Gatorhater

All-American

MEDIA=youtube]
Delayed what? Exactly what did he delay that cost lives? The "hoax" he spoke of is exactly the bs you are spraying here that somehow he delayed some unknown action that allowed this to happen. Hell the almighty NYT actually called it Trump virus. So I ask again, what actions did he delay? Please don't try the crap about the slow testing that was in fact caused by those wonderful all seeing "experts" who created the system over many years that failed.

I will agree that he was a week late closing down flights from Europe and maybe should have just left everyone there if that is what you mean. More recently what the hell are all the New York heroes dong running down here to get away from their beloved city. If you think Trump should have shut down NY like China did the origin of this, then we could agree. We are sending everything there but the sick people are coming to Florida. Are those mistakes Trump made?

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
Delayed what? Exactly what did he delay that cost lives? The "hoax" he spoke of is exactly the bs you are spraying here that somehow he delayed some unknown action that allowed this to happen. Hell the almighty NYT actually called it Trump virus. So I ask again, what actions did he delay? Please don't try the crap about the slow testing that was in fact caused by those wonderful all seeing "experts" who created the system over many years that failed.

I will agree that he was a week late closing down flights from Europe and maybe should have just left everyone there if that is what you mean. More recently what the hell are all the New York heroes dong running down here to get away from their beloved city. If you think Trump should have shut down NY like China did the origin of this, then we could agree. We are sending everything there but the sick people are coming to Florida. Are those mistakes Trump made?
He's going to keep repeating the hoax lie even though he's been given enough evidence to the contrary. He has no interest in the truth. It's all about repeating the lie enough that it becomes the truth.

He'll also have you believe that we're all getting Covid in 3 weeks and it has an 8% fatality rate.

Gatorhater

All-American
He's going to keep repeating the hoax lie even though he's been given enough evidence to the contrary. He has no interest in the truth. It's all about repeating the lie enough that it becomes the truth.

He'll also have you believe that we're all getting Covid in 3 weeks and it has an 8% fatality rate.
US mortality rate is currently 1.3%. Not sure where you are getting your numbers. #of deaths/number of cases = mortality. 859/61808 at this moment. That is up a little from 1.1% a couple day ago but he highest I've seen it was about 3% when all those Washington State deaths hit before the testing raised the # of cases. Maybe you are looking at Italy which is running around 10%. I assume the combination of some really stupid politicians, a very old population and large number Chinese residents(only a factor if many of them were in China for the New Year and maybe brought virus back -- nothing to do with being Chinese just likely travel) We would have close to 5000 dead if it was 8%. Did you see a body count like that on some news program?

By the way, Dr Fauci, beloved of the media for some reason, has said several time that mortality for this virus is expected to be 1%. He is probably right, once we get better handle on number of cases. We know the deaths fairly well but more cases will bring the rate down. It just math. IT does concern me the rate started back up the last couple days. It will probably average out over the long run and Fauci will be right. Now understand, the total number of deaths will increase with the spread of infection. That is why they should have prohibited travel from NY, NJ and surrounding areas. Those people will carry the virus to place like where I live in FL and the elderly down here will die because of them!

I am still waiting to hear exactly what thing Trump delayed doing that caused anything, anything at all. Heck I fed you a couple but you fail mention them.

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
US mortality rate is currently 1.3%. Not sure where you are getting your numbers. #of deaths/number of cases = mortality. 859/61808 at this moment. That is up a little from 1.1% a couple day ago but he highest I've seen it was about 3% when all those Washington State deaths hit before the testing raised the # of cases. Maybe you are looking at Italy which is running around 10%. I assume the combination of some really stupid politicians, a very old population and large number Chinese residents(only a factor if many of them were in China for the New Year and maybe brought virus back -- nothing to do with being Chinese just likely travel) We would have close to 5000 dead if it was 8%. Did you see a body count like that on some news program?

By the way, Dr Fauci, beloved of the media for some reason, has said several time that mortality for this virus is expected to be 1%. He is probably right, once we get better handle on number of cases. We know the deaths fairly well but more cases will bring the rate down. It just math. IT does concern me the rate started back up the last couple days. It will probably average out over the long run and Fauci will be right. Now understand, the total number of deaths will increase with the spread of infection. That is why they should have prohibited travel from NY, NJ and surrounding areas. Those people will carry the virus to place like where I live in FL and the elderly down here will die because of them!

I am still waiting to hear exactly what thing Trump delayed doing that caused anything, anything at all. Heck I fed you a couple but you fail mention them.
@NDE, @brcane1, and @Number1CanesFan have been littering this forum with doom and gloom predictions, false accusations, and political vitriol.

I was responding to your response to NDE.

brcane1

Sophomore
Banned

Specifically ramping up testing capacity so that we could have isolated and responded tactically to the virus in the early stages. We're months into this and are still not testing enough people to get a read on where this thing is going. It's the uncertainty caused by this lack of testing capacity that has been so problematic.

We also were slow to react in ramping up public/private partnerships for other equipment, but the early testing and intervention could have kept this from rising to the point of needing tens of thousands of ventilators/masks/etc. Unfortunately Trump's primary concern in February was to keep the numbers damn, unnecessary lives lost be damned.

Gatorhater

All-American
Specifically ramping up testing capacity so that we could have isolated and responded tactically to the virus in the early stages. We're months into this and are still not testing enough people to get a read on where this thing is going. It's the uncertainty caused by this lack of testing capacity that has been so problematic.

We also were slow to react in ramping up public/private partnerships for other equipment, but the early testing and intervention could have kept this from rising to the point of needing tens of thousands of ventilators/masks/etc. Unfortunately Trump's primary concern in February was to keep the numbers damn, unnecessary lives lost be damned.
The test problems were CDC problem with the fact that they always had control of the tests. Made them by the dozens in lab in Atlanta. That has been their system for years. Why is for anyone to venture opinion but that was the problem The system need to be remade on the fly. We really do not have comparables for ramping up private/partnerships so you can say it was slow and I can say it was miraculously fast. It was something to pint to and media jumped. Three things caused the increases: Someone slipped infected Americans onto the charter flights bringing Americans back from China when they were suppose to fly separately, the cruise ship the Japan screwed up with hold it off coast forever, and Europe, either because they didn't stop flights from China or Trump didn't shut down flight from EU fast enough.

Much of the testing stuff is red herring. It is useful but it only effects spread if you can, as you mention, predict the hot spots. Early on we not only didn't have enough useful test but we also did not have enough infected people. Those low death counts cannot be separated from the number. Low death equals low infection. The number only got big enough as travelers brought the virus from Europe. You didn't really need test to guess where the hot spots would be then. You had flight and passenger records. Where those people went would tell the tale. Now we don't need to est FL to know we are next because frigging Cuomo did right thing to lock down state but then let everyone run for the hills with the infection. Thousands came here with it. I do not need to be super doctor to know what that means. I understand math and that is enough. Florida is next.

Tests are for modellers. They need lots of data to pick from. Unfortunately, they are not necessarily honest brokers and how you lick data and how you use it makes big difference. Like a good lawyer, a good model creator's answer to how much is two plus two is "what do you need it to be" Stay safe my Cane brother.