OT: UM Researchers Develop 30 min Coronavirus Test

3rd-43

All-American
nice. FDA will approve this quick, never been a bottleneck to progress only a facilitator.

Canesfan1899

All-American
Hopefully they can speed this through. Get more people tested so we can eventually get back to business as usual.

The key is making sure there are no false negatives, and I’m sure that’s what the FDA will look at, among other things. Hopefully they can fast-track this, but the FDA has always moved slowly.

I’m guessing it would be recommended that this test would be followed up with a confirmatory PCR type test.

Just think about if you’ve ever been tested for strep throat - there’s a rapid test in the doctors office that gives you a positive or negative, but is always followed up by a more specific confirmatory test a couple of days later

Gatorhater

All-American
30 minute simple test would be huge. if it is economical, you could test every day before work or before you get a table in restaurant and we can start getting things fired back up. GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gatorhater

All-American
The key is making sure there are no false negatives, and I’m sure that’s what the FDA will look at, among other things. Hopefully they can fast-track this, but the FDA has always moved slowly.

I’m guessing it would be recommended that this test would be followed up with a confirmatory PCR type test.

Just think about if you’ve ever been tested for strep throat - there’s a rapid test in the doctors office that gives you a positive or negative, but is always followed up by a more specific confirmatory test a couple of days later
Like Trump or not, he is hard taskmaster and has way of forcing these places to move faster. I've seen some stuff that indicates this virus gets in the nose somewhere-- effecting taste and smell. As you say, the accuracy of the test matters. If it lets virus slip though it is limited use.

Martycane

Sophomore
Like Trump or not, he is hard taskmaster and has way of forcing these places to move faster. I've seen some stuff that indicates this virus gets in the nose somewhere-- effecting taste and smell. As you say, the accuracy of the test matters. If it lets virus slip though it is limited use.
Uh, Trump hesitated for at least two months to get seriously involved (other than the flight shutdown) and he made things worse by saying there was no big problem even as late as a few weeks ago.
A hard taskmaster? I don't think so.

Acane4ever

Freshman
Uh, Trump hesitated for at least two months to get seriously involved (other than the flight shutdown) and he made things worse by saying there was no big problem even as late as a few weeks ago.
Other than the flight shut down? Moving on.

reef1515

Freshman
Couple questions for anyone that may know.
After a person gets Corono virus and recovers, how long are they still contagious? Are they then immune to Corona after recovery?
For example, can Mayor Suarez , who got the virus maybe 2 weeks go about his business now without fear of infecting others or being infected again?

blushrts

Sophomore
Couple questions for anyone that may know.
After a person gets Corono virus and recovers, how long are they still contagious? Are they then immune to Corona after recovery?
For example, can Mayor Suarez , who got the virus maybe 2 weeks go about his business now without fear of infecting others or being infected again?
I'm not sure they know yet if you are in the clear if you recover.

Fawk_U Haters

Junior
This is what is really killing the us with regards to fighting the outbreak. Ready available tests and tests that work. It's pretty much how S Korea was able to get ahead. They developed tests quickly and they developed A LOT of them.

The hidden dangers in all of this, besides the obvious, is who is going to take care of the sick IF the medical community and first responders get the virus?

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Is it reproducible at scale?

Is it perishable?

What is estimated false positives (early flu rapid types were notorious)?

Gatorhater

All-American
In case you didn't notice, shutting down the china flights had the whole thing under control until new cases from Europe came in. Had they done the same as we did, this would be all but over once the cruise ships were handled. Japan cause a big problem by locking up thousands of healthy people on a ship with couple sick ones and let is fester. Then we bought ours home. You could argue that Trump should have left those and all the Americans in Europe to their fate if you want but I doubt you will. Now we have New Yorker fleeing the lockdown up there by flying to FL. We will be next hotbed. Make sure you blame Cuomo for letting his people get out. Shutting down the flights was the best thing done by anyone.