OT:Trevor Lawerence regressed?

305to954

All ACC
Trevor Lawrence comple
was last night the first Clemson game you watched? He has had accuracy issues all year. He has all the tools but if he doesn’t become more accurate he will be another Josh Allen at the NFL level.

From what I have seen he has more of a chance to be Sebastian Telfair or Freddy adu then Lebron James.
Lawrence completes 66 percent of his passes

ThomasM

Senior
I just never saw Lawrence as the sure fire can't miss once in a lifetime player. Those are TV ratings catch phrases.

He's a good QB, but not the best I have ever seen. Since I'm under 50 years old, I think it's safe to say he's not the best prospect in 50 years.

BloodEunsOrangeAndGreen

Redshirt Freshman
And tuas is 72% vs a much harder schedule so not really seeing your point. Throwing stats out there tell me you haven’t watched him other then Osu and LSU. Last night was not the first time he has missed open deep throws consistently. He actually threw a lot more picks in the beginning of the season. I’m just saying don’t crown the dude as “best ever” when he has not performed like that.

g8rh8rMD

Junior
For context because I see a lot of people talking about last night and having one bad game.

A couple of things:

1) clearly he is the top QB prospect. Regardless of how “sold” you might be on him. No GM sitting around 1 is going pass on him. His ceiling is too high. With that being said he has not actually performed at the “generational talent” standard.

2) His performance last night was poor but it’s not limited to just last night. I’ve watched a lot of Clemson and a lot of Trevor Lawerence. I’m not an all or nothing numbers guys, he’s got good numbers. but his numbers aren’t better than DeShaun Watsons (playing on far superior team talent wise in a much more watered down conference) for someone who is supposed to be better that’s an eye raiser.
But furthermore there are clear limitations to his game today. Limitations that if not corrected will not allow him to have success at the level many expect him too in the NFL.

I get that he’s 19 but in the last 15 years we’ve seen several soph. QBs crush it.

Imo if he’s “that” guy. Next year I’d like to see record setting numbers to cement the hype.
Because right now he’s getting hype for being 29-1 but it’s a team game.
Well said.

moshated305

Senior
I was more disappointed in Higgins and Ross than Lawrence. LSU DBs had them locked down. Credit to them. Lawrence also played his worst game of his career. Kid is still a great talent and will still be the #1 pick next year. Also, he's always been considered just so far ahead of others his age which is why he gets all the hype and he's backed it up to this point. Who says he won't continue to get better? Players get better, go figure.

moshated305

Senior
For context because I see a lot of people talking about last night and having one bad game.

A couple of things:

1) clearly he is the top QB prospect. Regardless of how “sold” you might be on him. No GM sitting around 1 is going pass on him. His ceiling is too high. With that being said he has not actually performed at the “generational talent” standard.

2) His performance last night was poor but it’s not limited to just last night. I’ve watched a lot of Clemson and a lot of Trevor Lawerence. I’m not an all or nothing numbers guys, he’s got good numbers. but his numbers aren’t better than DeShaun Watsons (playing on far superior team talent wise in a much more watered down conference) for someone who is supposed to be better that’s an eye raiser.
But furthermore there are clear limitations to his game today. Limitations that if not corrected will not allow him to have success at the level many expect him too in the NFL.

I get that he’s 19 but in the last 15 years we’ve seen several soph. QBs crush it.

Imo if he’s “that” guy. Next year I’d like to see record setting numbers to cement the hype.
He's taken care of the ball better than Deshaun did who threw double digit picks in both his last two years. Deshaun also threw more passes because he played in closer games so he threw for more yards. Even with that their numbers are fairly close. Next year, if Lawrence is healthy he will surpass every number Watson put up for his career early in the season.

raytiller

5 STAR WB

A couple of things:

Yeah and he’s lead them to 29-1 that’s why he gets the hype... not sure if you know but Clemson was literally asking a lot of him last night a lot of them throws he missed on the sideline where hard throws he throwing the ball 30-40 yds to the sideline those aren’t easy passes to complete. Clemson got out coached in both phases of the game and lost.

TemplarCane

Nothing will change if there are no changes
Clemson's OL, and OTs in particular, were below average. LSU DEs were rushing into Lawrence's face on the regular. I doubt he is used to seeing that much pressure, and his WRs on lockdown. A learning experience.

Dghustla

Junior
He's taken care of the ball better than Deshaun did who threw double digit picks in both his last two years. Deshaun also threw more passes because he played in closer games so he threw for more yards. Even with that their numbers are fairly close. Next year, if Lawrence is healthy he will surpass every number Watson put up for his career early in the season.
Not exactly apples to apples DeShaun got hurt and only attempted 137 passes his freshman year and Lawerence 397.

if you applied Deshauns career average per attempt and evened their attempts freshmen year. Trevor Lawerence would need to pass for 5k yards to pass him.

I get that’s not a perfect way to look at it but it proves my point. Which is that Trevor Lawerence needs a monster year next year to live up to the hype.

Last edited:

g8rh8rMD

Junior
Not exactly apples to apples DeShaun got hurt and only attempted 137 passes his freshman year and Lawerence 397.

if you applied Deshauns career average per attempt and evened their attempts freshmen year. Trevor Lawerence we need to pass for 5k yards round pass him.

I get that’s not a perfect way to look at it but it proves my point. Which is that Trevor Lawerence needs a monster year next year to live up to the hype.
To live up to the hype, Trevor Lawrence needs to throw for 5k yards next year and for the next 15-20 consecutive years after that, win 8 or 9 Super Bowls and set every football record there ever was.

People aren't saying the kid sucks. We're just saying this notion that he's the best football player to come along in 50 years is ridiculous. He's got obvious limitations to his game.

It's not blasphemous to suggest that maybe people tap the breaks on stating that he's already better than Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Barry Sanders, etc.
And it's not crazy, to bring this back to the original question of the thread, to say, "no he hasn't "regressed", he was just never really quite as good as he was hyped up to be".

ddann

Sophomore
To live up to the hype, Trevor Lawrence needs to throw for 5k yards next year and for the next 15-20 consecutive years after that, win 8 or 9 Super Bowls and set every football record there ever was.

People aren't saying the kid sucks. We're just saying this notion that he's the best football player to come along in 50 years is ridiculous. He's got obvious limitations to his game.

It's not blasphemous to suggest that maybe people tap the breaks on stating that he's already better than Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Barry Sanders, etc.
And it's not crazy, to bring this back to the original question of the thread, to say, "no he hasn't "regressed", he was just never really quite as good as he was hyped up to be".
Barry Sanders??? LOL.

Okay, okay, I will admit it. Trevor Lawrence is not as good of a RB as Barry Sanders was.

g8rh8rMD

Junior
Your words, don't act like you didn't say them:

Baga played into his hands last year letting him eat them up in single coverage on deep passes along the sideline, and his receivers made amazing catch after amazing catch, Mossing the DB's all game long.
Again, not sure what LSU's receivers have to do with whether or not Trevor Lawrence is the greatest football player of the past 50 years.

I'm not acting like I didn't say anything. I just have no idea what your responses have to do with anything involving this topic of whether or not TL may have been over-hyped. Is this the "I know you are, but what am I?" debate tactic?

g8rh8rMD

Junior
LOLing at a nonsensical comparison?

No, that was easy.
So, you do or don't disagree that TL is hands down the best football player of the past 50 years? Or what is your stance? And why are you @'ing me?

Go back to cuddling with your Dabo pillow.