Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
Novice here, is this the signal of the stock market crash?

More of a sign of inflation and a dollar "crash". Rising prices in commodities lead to stunted growth and tightening margins which will eventually show up in the equities market. The new round of stimulus could actually drag the market to new highs.

intel could be done. nvidia amd Tesla the new chip makers
They actually had a good earning reports, it’s just the delay announcement that made their stock tank. Despite this delay, Intel still owned 95% of the market in the first quarter despite AMD shipping those same chips for a year now.

They give out dividends too. Ex-dividend date is next week.

More of a sign of inflation and a dollar "crash". Rising prices in commodities lead to stunted growth and tightening margins which will eventually show up in the equities market. The new round of stimulus could actually drag the market to new highs.

I don’t know what’s going to happen but if this view is correct, I’m making as much money as I can now.

Advertisement
I don’t know what’s going to happen but if this view is correct, I’m making as much money as I can now.

This is a very simple video put together by Ray Dalio to help people have a better grasp of the economy and all it's moving parts and cycles. Skip the first 9 minutes and you'll get to meat of what's going on now. It's important to be ahead of the cycles and recognize when the trend is changing. A deleveraging event is on the horizon imo.

Last edited:
This is a very simple video put together by Ray Dalio to help people have a better grasp of the economy and all it's moving parts and cycles. Skip the first 9 minutes and you'll get to meat of what's going on now. It's important to be ahead of the cycles and recognize when the trend is changing.

I understand, theoretically, where you’re coming from. I guess what I’m saying is that I’ve been very aggressive, and incredibly fortunate, for the last several years, and I’m starting to position myself more defensively. If not for the possible dollar tanking, but just generally in terms of a possible pending cyclical shift. We could be due. I grapple with it, because of, quite frankly, greed, due to becoming accustomed to very high returns...and as we all know, nothing lasts forever.

I understand, theoretically, where you’re coming from. I guess what I’m saying is that I’ve been very aggressive, and incredibly fortunate, for the last several years, and I’m starting to position myself more defensively. If not for the possible dollar tanking, but just generally in terms of a possible pending cyclical shift. We could be due. I grapple with it, because of, quite frankly, greed, due to becoming accustomed to very high returns...and as we all know, nothing lasts forever.

It will be hard lesson for many that bull markets don't last forever, this one being the longest in history. Personally a bear market at my age excites me. There are a lot of once in a lifetime opportunities that come up in those cycles. I wish i was smart enough to capitalize on the 2008-2012 housing market, i won't make a similar mistake in the next cycle i guarantee that.

Wow, you sound really good at investing in stocks. Would you be up for making a couple of specific recommendations that we could all follow? You know, because of all your very high returns.

Thanks,

-A fellow investor

Advertisement
Wow, you sound really good at investing in stocks. Would you be up for making a couple of specific recommendations that we could all follow? You know, because of all your very high returns.

Thanks,

-A fellow investor

Be nice:encouragement:

Thanks,

-A fellow investor

You just can’t quit me.

Enjoy reviewing my yearly return. Again.

BC8A8270-6DE5-439F-9913-E00BA0D53D9A.jpeg

It will be hard lesson for many that bull markets don't last forever, this one being the longest in history. Personally a bear market at my age excites me. There are a lot of once in a lifetime opportunities that come up in those cycles. I wish i was smart enough to capitalize on the 2008-2012 housing market, i won't make a similar mistake in the next cycle i guarantee that.

Exactly. Timing is a bltch, though.

Speaking of housing, right now, that market is doing very well.

I’m looking at a couple of properties now (for income) that I’m going to either have to shlt or get off the pot

Advertisement
Have to cut that dividend.. no?

@Bird4um - the dividend held up as I had hoped. So based on where I bought and we discussed, it is giving us a 20%+ yield. Up another 5% in aftermarket right now.

Energy Transfer Announces Quarterly Cash Distribution and Earnings Release and Earnings Call Dates
4:15 PM ET, 07/28/2020 - Business Wire
DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul. 28, 2020-- Energy Transfer LP (NYSE: ET) today announced a quarterly cash distribution of $0.305 per ET common unit ($1.22 on an annualized basis) for the second quarter ended June 30, 2020. The announced quarterly distribution is consistent with the distribution for the first quarter of 2020 and will be paid on August 19, 2020 to unitholders of record as of the close of business on August 7, 2020.

Last edited:
@Bird4um - the dividend held up as I had hoped. So based on where I bought and we discussed, it is giving us a 20%+ yield. Up another 5% in aftermarket right now.

Energy Transfer Announces Quarterly Cash Distribution and Earnings Release and Earnings Call Dates
4:15 PM ET, 07/28/2020 - Business Wire
DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul. 28, 2020-- Energy Transfer LP (NYSE: ET) today announced a quarterly cash distribution of $0.305 per ET common unit ($1.22 on an annualized basis) for the second quarter ended June 30, 2020. The announced quarterly distribution is consistent with the distribution for the first quarter of 2020 and will be paid on August 19, 2020 to unitholders of record as of the close of business on August 7, 2020.

Sorry to quote myself, but FYI the ET bonds (29278NAB9) are really attractive right now. Especially as equities are getting fatter and fatter . At $73.25 they are yielding over 9% and I think there is a good chance at 10% cap appreciation over 12 months. Making 19%+ on a flight to safety play sure sounds good to me.

Advertisement
I’ve owned annaly for over ten years. Sold last month. I think REITS get killed pretty soon. Gonna see lots of vacant buildings

NLY. solid numbers. affirmed book value $8.4. love it.

$7.63 in after hours

05:06 PM EDT, 07/29/2020 (MT Newswires) -- Annaly Capital Management (NLY) reported Q2 core earnings of $0.27 a share, up from $0.25 a share in the same period of 2019, while the consensus on Capital IQ was for $0.22 a share.

Net interest income rose to $398.8 million from $177.4 million a year ago, and ahead of the Street's view for $395.8 million, if comparable.

Last edited:
Depends on what interests you and what your strengths are.

There are lots of investment types out there - real estate, debt, equities, brick & mortar businesses, on-line businesses, etc.

For Americans, I think that real estate and stocks are definitely still ways to gain wealth and become financially independent.

And assure yourself of being able to retire (possibly early if you want) - maybe with a lot of cabbage if you've investing wisely.

But finding ways to make cabbage off the Internet has proven to be quite profitable for loads of folks - so this could be an area to explore, too.

If you have an interest in stocks but not a lot of interest in the details, then stock indices will work just fine.

You invest your money and if the S&P 500 goes up 10% this year, for example then that's about what you'll get (slightly lower).

If you have an interest in outperforming stock indices, then there are plenty of companies to help you do it.

Some have been mentioned earlier.

But those companies are best as long-term investments.

If you're not interested in long-term investing, then those companies won't help as much.

I invest in stocks long-term because I think it's one of the best ways to outperform the stock markets - especially with the amount of time you put into it.

I can go long periods without researching anything and still beat up the stock indices pretty well annually.

However, I do read a lot - 6 newspapers a day or so plus magazines, journals, etc.

More scanning than reading - unless it's an article of interest which seems rare nowadays.

I haven't mentioned specific companies because I don't think that'll help you too much.

Learning where and how to fish rather than be given the fish is a better plan I think ( I shared some things I look for on an earlier page).

I prefer to share general ideas with how I invest, for example so that folks can figure out the specific companies on their own.

Because you may turn out to be a better stock investor than me given time to soak it all in.

So what should I invest in?

Advertisement
Back