Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Advertisement
I am enjoying reading this thread, and since its focused on public equities, here is something different: For the QP's on here, look into pre-ipo funds. Due to Dodd Frank rules and other factors, many if not most of the successful companies that have gone public since the Great Recession were pre-ipo. Some recent examples are Peloton, the fake meat providers, and lots of biotechs.

All good points. Going into their own chips versus Intel is going to improve their margins, no doubt about that.

There’s another wildcard, if they can figure out a way to measure blood sugar accurately with their current or modified Apple Watch technology, that’s gonna be a game changer
I would argue that what has made Apple and Amazon so attractive, versus the Palm Pilot of which I owned one, is their diversification. Apple is still a product company, for now. Amazon still sells goods. And these are still their core businesses, but as others on here have noted, these companies do so much more that I don't think they will fall victim to a better product like Palm Pilot did.

I would argue that what has made Apple and Amazon so attractive, versus the Palm Pilot of which I owned one, is their diversification. Apple is still a product company, for now. Amazon still sells goods. And these are still their core businesses, but as others on here have noted, these companies do so much more that I don't think they will fall victim to a better product like Palm Pilot did.

Everything you said is correct. I just use the palm pilot as an example because it was personal. I used one and thought they were the wave of the future. And they actually were. Maybe they were 10 years too early. But you’re also right in that they were a one trick pony company. Kind of like blackberry. Having diversification obviously puts you in a better standing for the future and changes in trends and usages. But one thing about Apple that we can’t forget right now, is that I think something like 60 to 70% of theit revenue is from the iPhone. I probably need to look that up but that’s the number that pops into my head. Still a great company though and with enough diversification to last, even if there are bumps along the way. The palm pilot is just an extreme example of how a technology item can sometimes go straight into the twilight zone as time progresses

Everything you said is correct. I just use the palm pilot as an example because it was personal. I used one and thought they were the wave of the future. And they actually were. Maybe they were 10 years too early. But you’re also right in that they were a one trick pony company. Kind of like blackberry. Having diversification obviously puts you in a better standing for the future and changes in trends and usages. But one thing about Apple that we can’t forget right now, is that I think something like 60 to 70% of theit revenue is from the iPhone. I probably need to look that up but that’s the number that pops into my head. Still a great company though and with enough diversification to last, even if there are bumps along the way. The palm pilot is just an extreme example of how a technology item can sometimes go straight into the twilight zone as time progresses

Blackberry had a similar early cult following like apple. If apple ever falls too behind on innovation through R&D they have a mountain of cash to innovate via acquisition.

Advertisement
@Bird4um
2nd warning, DXY bounced off support on my last call but has since made a big move down again towards that long term support of 96.4ish. There looks to be an obvious correlation of gold testing long term resistance and dxy testing long term support at the same time. Walk up your stop losses and protect yourselves things could get really ugly quick again in the broader market if the USD breaks down.

Appreciate the heads up.... keep them coming

Appreciate the heads up.... keep them coming

Dxy bounced, gold got rejected. But the dow took another dump. Seems more covid related than dxy but thats the 2nd time the dow dumped big when dxy tested support. Something to monitor.

Advertisement
Their like BASF. They don't invent the product, they make it better.

Advertisement
Bought gold and silver stocks today, and will be buying hard silver....

We just broke the last major resistance 1795. A close above 1800 and its clear skies to retest the all time high of 1920 which really isnt even a resistance. Exciting times especially since dxy is still holding steady. I wouldnt be surprised to see 2200 in 6-9 months

Attachments

• 20200630_112020.jpg
    20200630_112020.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Gold guys. I don't follow gold and I want opinions from you guys who do on AUY. I've doubled my money in the last couple years and I'm thinking of cashing out.

Gold guys. I don't follow gold and I want opinions from you guys who do on AUY. I've doubled my money in the last couple years and I'm thinking of cashing out.
Sit tight. 2100 isn’t far away. There’s less than 300 left for the S&P to run. On the market pull back gold will push even higher. I’d be a seller when the S&P hits 2600. You have plenty of time. You’ll get two hard pushes in here. 2800/3000 if the Democrats take the presidency, house and senate wouldn’t surprise me. Enjoy the ride. I’d buy Apple & Amazon, keeping an evenly weighted position in gold, when they pull back to 325 and 2200. The **** show of the two years following the election is going to be good for gold.

Last edited:
Advertisement
TFWIW.
Apple-Q1-2020-8-640x386.jpg

Apple-Q1-2020-1-640x570.jpg

Diversify conservatively and dip into bonds , haven't lost money yet thanks to government bonds purchases , haven't gone negative yet. The roller coaster ride has been good inching up all so slowly.

Advertisement
Back