Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

I think I’m going back into cash tomorrow. 100% I’ll make it back when it retests the lows. If you look back, I called 2300. It’s time to fly again. 🦅 💵

you called S&P at 2300? What did you get for your Amazon shares? You think you can buy it back for less?

Advertisement
I am amazed how some people think they can time the market when the people that do this for a living can’t. Buy and hold is not as passive as it sounds, when the market tanked we took cash from my cash accounts and rebalanced my a portfolio in order to recover faster and take The opportunity.

Actually, we are about +/- $60T+ in debt when Federal, State, and Local UFLs are taken into account.

Unemployment has already been announced at/near 25% as of earlier this week.

Our public fiscal outlook over the next 25 years is not good.

We need to start annexing other countries or printing funny money (like we don't already).

No other way possible.

I suppose undersea and/or off-world mining might get it, but almost laughable (at this time) to consider.
You can add another $30T+ when you include business and househould debt. Which you should since the taxpayer has to pay that down too. All we can do is enjoy the time we have left until China realizes that the dollar is dead.

Advertisement
You can add another $30T+ when you include business and househould debt. Which you should since the taxpayer has to pay that down too. All we can do is enjoy the time we have left until China realizes that the dollar is dead.

You bring up an excellent point:

What happens when the world's de facto currency (USD via barrels of oil) no longer has that role?

OUCH.

Not exactly stock market related, but I recently qualified for my 401K plan at my new job.

Company will match my contribution up to 4%.

Currently, the market volatility has been ******** employees 401K's because most opted for an aggressive investment plan.

After seeing what happened in 2008, and 2020, I will opt for the guaranteed 1% interest on my money. I'm saving this money for retirement, I don't want to see my money ****ed away.

I won't pretend to be a financial expert. I make my living driving a milk truck, lol. Certainly not a Motley Fool. But some of the best advice I ever got for investing was from my ex boss who owned a chain of pawn shops.

"Tommy, invest in gold coins, undeveloped real estate, American firearms made before 1985, and American guitars made before 1970. Put your money in those and you'll have highly liquid assets that won't depreciate a lot; if at all."

I took his advice, with the exception of the guitars, because they are terribly expensive. Good investments, but I simply could not drop 5k+ on one guitar.

I invested in silver and gold coins, American and German firearms (recently was able to procure a G3), and buying some real estate at the end of this year.

Anyway, I do feel bad for people that got stung again by the stock market. No one wants to see their hard earned money melt through their fingers.

Just some basic top line info on AMZN

SPOT ON , Amazon is building a huge facility at Beacon lakes.

This project is already in motion , thru competitive biding I've been fortunate in getting a piece of this project 480 acre area of construction other companies like Ryder are building there along with retail stores restaurants a huge areas.

Advertisement
Wow. I know people in nyc working in hospitals. This sht isn’t a hoax. Nursing homes down here are getting hit hard. Nyc had this in the community and had no clue it was there until sht hit the fan and it was too late.
The subways and all those people packed in together is a totally different way of life than Most of America.
Sofla has the bulk of deaths in the state for that same reason. No politics at all man. Metropolitan cities are the bulk of the deaths. Don’t see Kalispel Montana getting hit for a reason.
Exactly. All of this ☝! The OP has no idea wtf he's talking about. I have two cousins that got the **** in late December, before anyone knew it was here, or what the **** it was. An elderly uncle was diagnosed in late Feb. Thankfully, both of my cousins recovered. My uncle wasn't so lucky. RIP Uncle B! :n9zngvnqolxlw9kll8.jpg: People are phuccing dying up there, and he's talking about a **** hoax? Just because he ain't been personally affected by it? FOH!

Exactly. All of this ☝! The OP has no idea wtf he's talking about. I have two cousins that got the **** in late December, before anyone knew it was here, or what the **** it was. An elderly uncle was diagnosed in late Feb. Thankfully, both of my cousins recovered. My uncle wasn't so lucky. RIP Uncle B! :n9zngvnqolxlw9kll8.jpg: People are phuccing dying up there, and he's talking about a **** hoax? Just because he ain't been personally affected by it? FOH!
My condolences brother. Stay safe.

Bro there's a lot of unknown with this novel virus. Is it worse than the flu... probably but it being new makes a big difference especially with fatalities. Diseases wiped out the Indian populations in the new world because the viruses were new to them and they had no antibodies.
But it ain't the end of the world... however, it's clear that politics is dictating how people perceive everything these days. The fact is the country can't continue to be locked down without major consequences… why can't everybody agree on that? Why... politics. It's pathetic.

I think the parallel to the flu is what it COULD be once we know more and implement a vaccine and deal with it potentially seasonally (or maybe just every few years). The problem is that right now it is not the flu due to stage of knowledge of transmission, risk factors, lack of vaccine, and even current lethality, etc.

I keep old 401ks in index funds. Vanguard to be precise. I also own some "annuities" that have been called foolish investments.
I cashed one in last year that doubled its value in 12 years. Guarantied doubled if left alone for 12 years. Nice payday that I reinvested in more index funds. And some cash to have some fun with. I have two more that will be doubled in 2024. Thats my big payday. Hope I make it.
Not all annuities are created the same. As long as you do not touch them and get a guarranty pay back, let them do all the work. You just wait for the money. I'm 63.

Advertisement
Okay, I've bought the dips.

I'm just not quite sure how this will help my investing.

But I'm a believer.

Buying the Dips.jpg

Buy the dips.

I keep old 401ks in index funds. Vanguard to be precise. I also own some "annuities" that have been called foolish investments.
I cashed one in last year that doubled its value in 12 years. Guarantied doubled if left alone for 12 years. Nice payday that I reinvested in more index funds. And some cash to have some fun with. I have two more that will be doubled in 2024. Thats my big payday. Hope I make it.
Not all annuities are created the same. As long as you do not touch them and get a guarranty pay back, let them do all the work. You just wait for the money. I'm 63.
Just FYI, but the average annual return for the S&P 500 over that approximate time period was over 10%, basically it's historical average. Your money would have tripled if you'd put it in SPY or IVV. I get the risk of the annuity was, theoretically lower, just offering for comparison.

The market views the risk/reward ratio in equities as relatively good to fixed income/cash.

I wouldn't touch buying equities with a 30 foot poll right now and remain short.

But if you're not a long-term investor and you're coming here for input, you might as well just put your cash in a barrel and burn it.

Turbulent markets break inexperienced traders.

How are those shorts working out?
"Don't fight the Fed" has taken on new meaning.

Its literally just silly season right now.

Has been since at least 2007. I wasn't really actively a market participant until then, so I can't really say before that. But, yeah, it seems that money has become meaningless and no one cares, just as long as asset prices never go down. Don't even bother to bring up what that means for everyone but the top 0.1%, who try to build wealth through saving, owning a house, and putting a few bucks here and there into a 401(k) or IRA.

I used to get upset about it. There's no point in even questioning it anymore. Just know that's what the game is, and you can either try to piggyback along for the ride, or get left behind.

Advertisement
Actually, we are about +/- $60T+ in debt when Federal, State, and Local UFLs are taken into account.

Unemployment has already been announced at/near 25% as of earlier this week.

Our public fiscal outlook over the next 25 years is not good.

We need to start annexing other countries or printing funny money (like we don't already).

No other way possible.

I suppose undersea and/or off-world mining might get it, but almost laughable (at this time) to consider.
There is a safety restart button. The funny money is just that. Printed by Federal Reserve Board, not the US Treasury. Take close look and you we see it no longer says, Back by the full faith and credit of the United States of America. Just print enough and buy all those "Treasury" instruments everyone loves so much. Then declare Fed note are no longer legal tender.

Treasury can take the printing press back and issue new Greenbacks that are back by full faith and credit. Would need to figure how to make sure American CITIZENS are not screwed, well except all the really rich ones who think that a global citizens any way. FED can take a bankruptcy and pay off all those dollars being held around the world for pennies on the dollar. Oh all **** would break lose but who cares.

Not going to happen, but entirely workable. Heck, China owes trillions of dollars in Chinese Bonds that the Commies refused to acknowledge when they took over. They might even be forced to take our side in World Court to avoid having to honor their own debt. What I suggest at least has the color of legitimately.

How are those shorts working out?

Has been since at least 2007. I wasn't really actively a market participant until then, so I can't really say before that. But, yeah, it seems that money has become meaningless and no one cares, just as long as asset prices never go down. Don't even bother to bring up what that means for everyone but the top 0.1%, who try to build wealth through saving, owning a house, and putting a few bucks here and there into a 401(k) or IRA.

I used to get upset about it. There's no point in even questioning it anymore. Just know that's what the game is, and you can either try to piggyback along for the ride, or get left behind.

Imagine jumping into a stock market discussion and thinking you have any point whatsoever over the short term.

I'm looking for Q2 earnings, which will be a DISASTER. Further, I'm assuming you don't remotely understand the difference between "shorting" and "being short."

Sounds like you think you're some kind of glorified day trader because you made some money buying Amazon in a bull market. Y'all are a dime a dozen, and bear markets mop the floor with your type.

I'm an investor. There's a difference. But please, do let me know when you've been a professional investment manager for the largest bank in the country, and then maybe something you have to say on this matter will hold my glass of water.

Just FYI, but the average annual return for the S&P 500 over that approximate time period was over 10%, basically it's historical average. Your money would have tripled if you'd put it in SPY or IVV. I get the risk of the annuity was, theoretically lower, just offering for comparison.

Look at this revisionist history.

I was exactly right. Attribution bias at its finest. "I put money in a bull market and made money so I must know what I'm talking about."

You're showing your WILD ignorance comparing return on equities to an annuity without even looking at risk-adjusted returns. You're offering a comparison where there is none.

Buy the dips.

Is what someone who took a 30-minute online "Stock Trading for Dummies" class would say. Without having any understanding of support or resistance, let alone proper financial/capital market analysis.

You "buy the dips" if you believe the position is undervalued. Not if the position is just down. Market (SPX) is trading at 21x earnings right now vs. a historical average of roughly 15x.

DUUUUHHHHHHRRRRRPPPPPP BuY dA DyPs!

Advertisement
Back