OT: Sequels

WaterburyCane

🐳 🐳 🐳
Premium
Trailer for Coming to America 2 dropped this week:

Not gonna lie. Im looking forward to this. The original is 80's gold. Looking forward to it. Got me to thinking of movies where the sequel was as good or better than the original.

For my money, Godfather 2 and Empire Strikes Back fit that bill and were better than the original which is saying something cause I loved Godfather and Star Wars. I get on the fence about Rocky 2. Id say as good as Rocky.

What else you got?

Merry Christmas you crazy sumbitches. (FYI, If this thread got derailed by some food **** of what's going on for dinner tonight, I wouldnt be mad)

Advertisement
Gotta go with the Cameron sequels: Terminator 2 and Aliens.

The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2), is not only a better sequel, but one of the most influential films of the last 50 years. Any post-apocalyptic film you've seen, chances are it's borrowed something from this.

Silence of the Lambs, Star Trek 2, The Good The Bad The Ugly are the others that come to mind.

Trailer for Coming to America 2 dropped this week:

Not gonna lie. Im looking forward to this. The original is 80's gold. Looking forward to it. Got me to thinking of movies where the sequel was as good or better than the original.

For my money, Godfather 2 and Empire Strikes Back fit that bill and were better than the original which is saying something cause I loved Godfather and Star Wars. I get on the fence about Rocky 2. Id say as good as Rocky.

What else you got?

Merry Christmas you crazy sumbitches. (FYI, If this thread got derailed by some food **** of what's going on for dinner tonight, I wouldnt be mad)

Empire Strikes Back is by far the best film in the series
Aliens is by far the best film in the series

I consider Terminator 2 the best movie I've ever seen

What's crazy is that Aliens and Terminator 2 STILL hold up, Aliens in particular. That film looks like it would cost about 300 million if it were made today.

Regarding Empire -- I'm a Star Wars geek (well just a genre and film geek in general tbh but Star Wars and Marvel were always my first loves), and up until about 3 years ago I was on the same page as most that Empire is the best, but man, as the years continue to pass I find myself aligning more with my mother in that the original is the best (we not counting The Mandalorian of course). Gave the original trilogy a recent rewatch, and Episode 4 is dated af, but it pretty much set the template for every action movie since it was released. I don't think anythign in the series has equaled the Death Star run.

Advertisement
What's crazy is that Aliens and Terminator 2 STILL hold up, Aliens in particular. That film looks like it would cost about 300 million if it were made today.

Regarding Empire -- I'm a Star Wars geek (well just a genre and film geek in general tbh but Star Wars and Marvel were always my first loves), and up until about 3 years ago I was on the same page as most that Empire is the best, but man, as the years continue to pass I find myself aligning more with my mother in that the original is the best (we not counting The Mandalorian of course). Gave the original trilogy a recent rewatch, and Episode 4 is dated af, but it pretty much set the template for every action movie since it was released. I don't think anythign in the series has equaled the Death Star run.
A New Hope is a very good film, don't get me wrong.

But Empire to me is in that category of films along with T2 because of the execution. It's just so well-made.

I wouldn’t claims Aliens is better than Alien. They’re just different pictures by two great directors. Alien is more sci-fi/horror whereas Aliens more sci-fi/adventure, IMO. Both great.

Terminator 2, same director as Aliens, benefits from a exponentially larger budget. I think Terminator is better. Arnold wasn’t a mega-star yet, and a low budget made Cameron rely less on effects. T2 also had humor that wasn’t in the first film. Different movies, really.

That said, I enjoy all four films.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Funny you say that because I was discussing Star Wars with a buddy if mine and he was talking about how the first is really the only one that makes sense from a plot perspective and is genuinely a great movie.

He called Empire Strikes Back, Empire "Bumbles" Back.

Lets not forget Star Wars was never suppose to have a sequel and until George Lucas realized how much $$$$$$ he could make, speaking of $$ I've been eying the lego Millenium Falcon but the GF is not keen on me spending $800 on a lego set

I wouldn’t claims Aliens is better than Alien. They’re just different pictures by two great directors. Alien is more sci-fi/horror whereas Aliens more sci-fi/adventure, IMO. Both great.

Terminator 2, same director as Aliens, benefits from a exponentially larger budget. I think Terminator is better. Arnold wasn’t a mega-star yet, and low budget made Cameron rely less on effects. T2 also had humor that wasn’t in the first film. Different movies, really.

Both Alien and Terminator are horror/scifi and sequels more action oriented. Like you said they are different types of movies, tough to say which is "better"

Advertisement

Terminator 2, same director as Aliens, benefits from a exponentially larger budget. I think Terminator is better. Arnold wasn’t a mega-star yet, and a low budget made Cameron rely less on effects. T2 also had humor that wasn’t in the first film. Different movies, really.

Aliens and T2 are absolutely tied for first, mostly because I couldn't pick just one. I'm sure Jon Cameron had a lot to do with it. Things were just better before the crutch of CGI.

A New Hope really built the foundation for everything so well yet left so much to be told and explored. But I still have ESB by a hair.

what Rihanna Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy did to the franchise was awful. Absolutely lazy. Not that Force Awakens was that good, but they completely tanked it in the last 2 for me. They shouldn’t be able to touch this franchise after what they did but of course that isn’t happening.

Favreau did a great job with Mandalorian. That last episode of season 2 was outstanding

I think The Dark Knight, was better than Batman Begins. And better than The Dark Knight Rises.

Others:

Spot on. Dark Knight is my favorite Comic movie of all time. Christopher Nolan slayed it. Ledgers interpretation of The Joker was brilliant. All 3 movies were great but that one is nearly flawless

Advertisement

That’s a bold statement right there. I’d put T2 as a sequel that was better, but I would go as far as you 😛

Funny you say that because I was discussing Star Wars with a buddy if mine and he was talking about how the first is really the only one that makes sense from a plot perspective and is genuinely a great movie.

He called Empire Strikes Back, Empire "Bumbles" Back.

Lets not forget Star Wars was never suppose to have a sequel and until George Lucas realized how much $$$$$$ he could make, speaking of $$ I've been eying the lego Millenium Falcon but the GF is not keen on me spending $800 on a lego set
Bro. Get the **** Falcon. Life is too short. If your bills are paid and responsibilities are taken care of, get it if it makes you happy

I’m not sure what your buddy is Smokin. I’ve never met anyone with a bad thing to say about ESB. That was on point. But it’s all in the eye of the beholder.

I think The Dark Knight, was better than Batman Begins. And better than The Dark Knight Rises.

Others:

Fun list. Thanks. I’m actually ashamed I’ve never seen Manhunter.

Azkahban is the best of the Potter movies

I don’t agree though about Captain America. Personally I liked the 1st better than Winter Soldier

Christmas Vacation I never felt as a sequel but I guess it is. Vacation is hilarious. CV is probably my 2nd favorite XMas movie of all time. Love CV. It’s a Wonderful Life is my XMas favorite. About as perfect a movie there is in my humble opinion. But there are so many great XMas movies out there

Advertisement
Back