Off-Topic Lets see some summer fish shots

@Silver King @RVACane @JeddTheFisch. @1LuvCane ....and others, little story about this...
In 2003 I was Hunting artifacts along side a Central/North Fl River....where the Limestone/Karst is very close to the river bottom....above the Limestone was a 2ft layer of Peat....then approx 2ft of water to the surface...
Whenever I walk...I take a walking Stick...the one I have I made out of a Cypress branch. This particular day I was walking in 1ft of water, and jabbing through the Peat with the stick, and the stick hit something odd feeling, so I stopped...and started groping through the Peat to see what I hit....and find this Skull laying upside down, on top of the Limestone, with the Peat above it....after pulling the skull up through the Peat...(it was covered and embedded with it) I took it up to the shoreline and started cleaning it off. As I turned the skull over to continue cleaning off the Peat....I find this.....A 5,000yr old Spearhead sticking out of the skull...To make a long story short, after pulling the spearhead out (came out easily)...I took it to an Archaeologist friend of mine at UCF...who was completely blown away....The Skull was Carbon Dated to be between 4,500-5,500 yrs old...He went on to say that although the Spear wound is what killed the Gator....it most likely got away, before eventually succumbing to the wound (since spearhead was still intact, and still lodged in skull) Without question....my most extraordinary find in 27yrs of hunting.....View attachment 138645
Bro, this has to be close to an academic funded type of find. You've reached pimp status in the Fl. Archaeologiass.world. Completely bad ***...

Advertisement
@Silver King @RVACane @JeddTheFisch. @1LuvCane ....and others, little story about this...
In 2003 I was Hunting artifacts along side a Central/North Fl River....where the Limestone/Karst is very close to the river bottom....above the Limestone was a 2ft layer of Peat....then approx 2ft of water to the surface...
Whenever I walk...I take a walking Stick...the one I have I made out of a Cypress branch. This particular day I was walking in 1ft of water, and jabbing through the Peat with the stick, and the stick hit something odd feeling, so I stopped...and started groping through the Peat to see what I hit....and find this Skull laying upside down, on top of the Limestone, with the Peat above it....after pulling the skull up through the Peat...(it was covered and embedded with it) I took it up to the shoreline and started cleaning it off. As I turned the skull over to continue cleaning off the Peat....I find this.....A 5,000yr old Spearhead sticking out of the skull...To make a long story short, after pulling the spearhead out (came out easily)...I took it to an Archaeologist friend of mine at UCF...who was completely blown away....The Skull was Carbon Dated to be between 4,500-5,500 yrs old...He went on to say that although the Spear wound is what killed the Gator....it most likely got away, before eventually succumbing to the wound (since spearhead was still intact, and still lodged in skull) Without question....my most extraordinary find in 27yrs of hunting.....View attachment 138645
"Bingo, Dinosaur DNA!"

How on earth was this preserved that long?

Advertisement
Thanks for sharing man, that is absolutey the coolest / oldest man/animal artifact I've seen. The gator must have flinched right, he just missed dead center of the sweet spot for the kill. When I was getting recruited for NAIA out in Dodge City, they took me through the Boot Hill Museum - they had a coupe of skulls in the basement, not on display - one had a raised bone chip that had been scalped, another had an arrow head stuck in it ie that.

The Gator skull hasn't changed much in 5,000 years, found this on Peace River while fishing - decorated for the holidays!
DSC_1157 (1).jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back