OT: Freaky ****. United flight loses engine. A miracle that plane didn’t go down.

Those NTSB reports take several months to come out, don’t they? It’s going to be interesting to see what was the ultimate cause of this.

And I realize many people, especially those with piloting/flying/industry experience almost see this as routine, but for the rest of us that are part of the flying public, it is interesting it also shows really how well trained American commercial pilots generally are.
Not routine at all , thankfully

Advertisement
Having been in a squadron, I sleep like a baby. We had pilots land jets after troubleshooting landing gear malfunctions. We even had a pilot land a jet after being knocked unconscious by a lightning strike. Many commercial pilots are former military so they’ve trained to land worse

Not routine at all , thankfully
Routine from simulator training. Not routine in the airplane.... thankfully, as you say.

I’ve been twice a year for 15 years, but I still think Level D motion sims are the coolest things around.

I’m wondering if the flames were from a friction fire (metal on metal in a mangled engine) as opposed to actual fuel continuing to be fed to the engine. I would certainly think with an explosive failure like that they would have engaged the FW shutoff... but then again who knows what they actually saw in the ****pit. The fire indication in most engines is triggered by a pressure sensor in a closed gas loop... so they may not have gotten a fire warning for that engine.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Pilots handled it just as they should - and made it a non event for passenger safety, just how it should have gone. Good stuff there!

Advertisement
Routine from simulator training. Not routine in the airplane.... thankfully, as you say.

I’ve been twice a year for 15 years, but I still think Level D motion sims are the coolest things around.

I’m wondering if the flames were from a friction fire (metal on metal in a mangled engine) as opposed to actual fuel continuing to be fed to the engine. I would certainly think with an explosive failure like that they would have engaged the FW shutoff... but then again who knows what they actually saw in the ****pit. The fire indication in most engines is triggered by a pressure sensor in a closed gas loop... so they may not have gotten a fire warning for that engine.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Pilots handled it just as they should - and made it a non event for passenger safety, just how it should have gone. Good stuff there!
We don't know what point this video was taken, but I'd guess soon after the first sign of a problem because at the beginning you see a piece fall off. If you notice the flames die out so that may be when the fuel stopped flowing and what was left was friction.

An F-15 lost a wing in a mid-air collision and managed to fly and land safely. Not saying this could happen with an airliner because it wouldn’t.

What happened to the pilots of the other plane, the one the one-wing survivor collided with? I wonder if they were able to eject and survive.

I’m sure it was neither. I live up in Maryland. Probably just one of those **** birds that fly around. Never saw it. No time for me to draw an d shoot back. Of course I had nothing to draw.

Live long enough and the odds are it might happen to you.

I don’t even know what a Turkey buzzard is.
Turkey buzzard the unofficial bird of Miami...

Not unexpected, not a good look on back shop processes/staff👇

United plane's fan blade had multiple cracks; last inspected 4 years ago: NTSB

Advertisement
Yet another reason why I'm probably not flying again.

No, not scared to fly, but between the airport security bull****, and that, **** no.

Only time I might fly is if I ever make that trip to Tokyo. If I want to go across the country, I have a first class ticket on a train.
I've flown close to a million miles and have had some real tense moments. When something happens out of the ordinary, I watch the flight attendants. If they're not concerned then neither am I.

Advertisement
Back