OT: Freaky ****. United flight loses engine. A miracle that plane didn’t go down.

I responded to you and said the engine would be shut down. The initial explosion would cause the pilots to go to checklist and a burning engine would not be left running. That video was after the explosion of course. That engine was not being supplied fuel at that point. It was on fire! I have never worked with a Pratt and Whitney brand, but the Rolls and GE cowling (nacelle) is a vital part of the fire suppression system, and of course it was gone so the system wouldn’t work properly. Pratt and Whitney guys would no that better though. Not familiar with their suppression system at all

Thanks that makes sense. Are those the three major engine manufacturers, Pratt/Whitney, Rolls, and GE?

Advertisement
Also the fire gets smaller as the video progresses, more fuel would definitely not have that effect. They were also dumping fuel, which would serve more than one purpose. Lighten load, as well as in case of the worst, not be loaded if it came down the hard way, if you know wat I mean. 😳

I really wish people understood these things, but like you were saying from the jump, most don’t. All you see is more bad press for Boeing, when actually, it had nothing to do with Boeing except it was bolted to a Boeing made plane. In fact, Boeing should be getting praises for the plane staying together and landing safely as a testament to the quality of the airframe.

I really wish people understood these things, but like you were saying from the jump, most don’t. All you see is more bad press for Boeing, when actually, it had nothing to do with Boeing except it was bolted to a Boeing made plane. In fact, Boeing should be getting praises for the plane staying together and landing safely as a testament to the quality of the airframe.
It could a simple negligent maintenance worker forgetting something.

Could foreign object damage do this though?

Advertisement
And when I say Rolls and GE strictly, I mean they are the only 2 options on the model We currently build at the facility I work at

Had a big discussion at work today about this and part failure is also just as likely. FOD is possible but no obvious fan blade damage from the video (that I could see). Again, so many variables here.

I’m not gonna speculate. I don’t know that engine at all. I won’t be surprised at anything though. I’m not thinking bird strike stuff as much as de-icer system maybe wasn’t working? Hard to say, it will likely take months of investigation to determine

Advertisement
Don't bother. Spectrum thinks he knows everything there is to know in the world and he's so pathologically thin-skinned he can never be wrong.

But yeah, dead on... United has been flying 777's for around 26 years already. It's hardly a new design as you said.

Do me and the rest of the board a favor and knock it off with the Spectrum stuff. Theyre are people on here whose kids and siblings are on the "Spectrum " so its personally insulting and demeaning to people.

You and @OriginalCanesCanesCanes dont get along? Thats fine.. dont respond to his posts ans he won't respond to yours

Had a big discussion at work today about this and part failure is also just as likely. FOD is possible but no obvious fan blade damage from the video (that I could see). Again, so many variables here.
Some of the shrapnel from the explosion had to go through the fan IMO, which would cause damage and throw off the balance causing the vibration. It is still spinning fast enough it appears to be counter rotating which it is surely not

Personal attacks
I’m done with you. You have some sort of obsession with me and it’s pretty disturbing.

Stop stalking me and derailing threads.

You literally started our conversation in this thread when you responded to a post of mine, Spectrum. But I am glad you know when you've made a fool of yourself, and know when to dip. Just like in the stock thread where you got emasculated and got run off. But yeah, you're being stalked. I'm raising you from a level 5 to a level 4, Spectrum. Adding an additional delusion to the diagnosis. Congrats!

Advertisement
You literally started our conversation in this thread when you responded to a post of mine, Spectrum. But I am glad you know when you've made a fool of yourself, and know when to dip. Just like in the stock thread where you got emasculated and got run off. But yeah, you're being stalked. I'm raising you from a level 5 to a level 4, Spectrum. Adding an additional delusion to the diagnosis. Congrats!

i’m done with you, I hope the moderators are too

Happened a few miles from where I live and I was actually driving through the area earlier in the day. Definite Donny Darko vibes.

But man what a bunch of babies in this thread..sack up. The chances of this happening on a flight you're on are like hitting the lotto and even then all they did was turn around and fly back to the airport. If you wanna give be your card miles cause you're too scared to fly now I'll take em..

Your out... see ya....I didnt ban you but I warned you very nicely to knock that crap off.

Advertisement
There was somebody else I think that said that they would have immediately shut the engine off. Do you think that was the case? Or did what you say preclude that happening?
Yes they would have shut it down . There are memory items that you have to know 3-4 steps to secure the situation . Then you divide up tasks one guy fly's one guy works the problem . Who know when the video was shot and what they had done yet. If the failure cut a fuel line then it could keep burning but what I have seen and heard after landing nothing was on fire and they did evacuate on runway which is a reason to use the slides. So we just have to wait for NTSB.

Those NTSB reports take several months to come out, don’t they? It’s going to be interesting to see what was the ultimate cause of this.

And I realize many people, especially those with piloting/flying/industry experience almost see this as routine, but for the rest of us that are part of the flying public, it is interesting it also shows really how well trained American commercial pilots generally are.

Watch this video from inside the plane. The whole engine cowling is gone, that’s basically the inside of the jet engine you’re looking at, vibrating and shaking, it’s a miracle it didn’t fall off or completely break apart, bringing down the plane with it.

Look at this enormous piece of the outside of the engine that tore off and landed in somebody’s front yard.

View attachment 143742

Fortunately the plane landed safely back in Denver

That plane had to have had a bye week...

Advertisement
Back