OT: Freaky ****. United flight loses engine. A miracle that plane didn’t go down.

Advertisement
I used to collect all the commercial die cast airlines as a kid as well as all the little wing pins the captains would give the kids. Good ole days.

Not if you double mask, tho.
My mom is a glorious mask supporter and she had a tough time on that long *** flight. They expect us to wear them playing hockey. There’s only 1-2 guys that have them above their chins all game.

Pelican or Turkey Buzzard?
I’m sure it was neither. I live up in Maryland. Probably just one of those **** birds that fly around. Never saw it. No time for me to draw an d shoot back. Of course I had nothing to draw.

Live long enough and the odds are it might happen to you.

I don’t even know what a Turkey buzzard is.

Advertisement
Look, I’m gonna be transparent here. Back when the housing bubble popped I had a house in Pinellas County that I couldn’t get rid of. There were times when I wished something would fall off an airplane and just obliterate it.
With your luck you’d probably just get a big chunk of frozen **** that were known to fall from the sky.

86A62FF4-7F65-43DE-A04B-B54ACC27B149.jpeg

Advertisement
CaneinOrlando is a straight up B*tch in ref to flying....Do I when necessary??....Yes....Do I get a case of Angina every time I do??....You betcha.....
As you know, I fly in and out of the country often - and I’m a total flight puss. A little turbulence and I’ll try to hold the hand of whoever’s sitting next to me, whether it a dude, an old lady or a toddler.

As you know, I fly in and out of the country often - and I’m a total flight puss. A little turbulence and I’ll try to hold the hand of whoever’s sitting next to me, whether it a dude, an old lady or a toddler.
TURBULENCE????.....Maannnn, if that sh*t happens I start reciting the Torah

Right the engine is still functioning but the entire cover is gone whatever it’s called nacelle, cowling, whatever.

Bear in mind, I’m speaking as a non-pilot and a layman, basically only just a consumer of airline services, that’s the extent of my flight knowledge, other than obviously understanding the principles of aerodynamics and the actual principle of flight.

I know nothing about actual flight procedures, what’s good on that engine, what isn't, etc.

But, just to me, common sense tells me that that whole engine covering/contraption is there for a reason, and I would think one of those reasons is to protect the engine from the huge forces of the air pushing on it.

I mean the engines are covered for a reason aren’t they? That plane is flying at least, what? 300/400/500 miles an hour. The incredible forces of the air pushing on that naked engine as it flies through the air would seem like to me, to not be conducive to that engine staying functional or even staying on the wing. You see what I’m saying?

I’m just spitballing here, but obviously they cover those engines with those contraptions for a reason, they are not meant to fly through the air like that.

At least the struts and the parts holding the engines onto the wing, and the outside of the engine, aren’t meant to withstand those forces, and that’s why they’re covered, I guess.

I do understand that the air does ram through the center hole of the engine and that’s part of the reason why it spins and it works I guess.

So I understand the engine can handle, and the turbines can handle that, but I would think it’s dangerous to subject the fittings and the other things to that type of shaking that would be created by just the naked application of flying through the force of an air at that speed.

it’s just curiosity on my part. Being as that I do fly a lot. And I’ve got several big trips planned over the next few months, including some long haul over the ocean, 12+ hour flights.
The nacelle is there for some small aerodynamic aspects but also has kevlar to contain engine parts from damaging the rest of the plane is the number one reason if there is a engine failure like this. Doesn't appear to be damage to the rest of the plane.

Yes it is still running Jet engine are tough. It probably producing thrust which is good. The other issues are the they probably had a fire warning and lesser issue the vibration, So one guy flies and talks to get you back to the airport . The other guy slowly and methodically goes through the checklist to secure the engine. If you rush you make mistakes and shutting down the operating engine would be a bad thing.

Here in the US we go back every 9 months and train and get tested on all these issues for hours in the simulators. Seems like the UAL guys did great everyone is safe and not hurt and once the change the engine and a few parts the plane is reusable.

The NTSB will put a report out in 6 -12 months and you can read what happened and how the crew did. Right now its' al MMQB stuff. The will dig into the black boxes and get the answers.

Got to run shower and head to work.

Advertisement
Twink, your only reason to participate in this thread was to follow me around and try to throw a little shade like the over-emotional little simpleton that you are.

I responded to your post in a measured way, and of couse, like an over-estrogenated female, you respond emotionally numerous times.

If you ever have kids, assuming you could ever get it up for a female, which is highly unlikely due to your sissified nature, it’s going to be sad karma if one of them ends up being on the spectrum, or worse.

Fantastically lame deflection, for you anyway, being a narcissistic, paranoid, thin-skinned head-case who is most certainly on the spectrum, Spectrum.

1- Think everything is about you (your narcissism never fails).
2- Try to change the subject by acting like a three year old to... once again, your obsession with my dlck ("why don't you have a seat over here and tell us more about that dream, son.") Also, I had to google "twink," and now I REALLY think you're *** too, btw. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Back to the (regrettably, for you anyway) the subject at hand...

You post dumb *** ingorant things about airplanes. Take a knee, Spectrum.

Both. He could’ve made it back to an airport with one. I’m not any expert on aviation but I know that they can fly on one engine

Maybe you know that because like three of us pointed that out on the page before this in response to your hysteria, Spectrum.

Last edited:
I hate that LAX (or other Cali city) layover when going to Hawaii. I just don’t think there any nonstops from anywhere east of Dallas or the general Texas area, to Hawaii. It’s possible Chicago has nonstops, but not sure though

Incorrect.

Chicago
Newark
JFK

All have non-stops to HNL. Maybe they are tweaking them during CV19 (or maybe not) but I've personally been on all three.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I got what you were after, I was just saying it's not necessarily a crucial part of the machine.

Kind of like your car can drive without a hood, fenders and bumper cover, but if you found yourself in that situation, you probably wouldn't want to take a long drive on I95. Not to mention the damage that must have happened when parts fly off and hit other parts at several hundred miles an hour.
Yep, the bigger issue than flying on one engine is did anything that flew off the engine hit anything important in the wing?

Fantastically lame deflection, for you anyway, being a narcissistic, paranoid, thin-skinned head-case who is most certainly on the spectrum, Spectrum.

1- Think everything is about you (your narcissism never fails).
2- Try to change the subject by acting like a three year old to... once again, your obsession with my dlck ("why don't you have a seat over here and tell us more about that dream, son.") Also, I had to google "twink," and now I REALLY think you're *** too, btw. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Back to the (regrettably, for you anyway) the subject at hand...

You post dumb *** ingorant things about airplanes. Take a knee, Spectrum.

Maybe you know that because like three of us pointed that out on the page before this in response to your hysteria, Spectrum.

I’m done with you. You have some sort of obsession with me and it’s pretty disturbing.

Stop stalking me and derailing threads.

The nacelle is there for some small aerodynamic aspects but also has kevlar to contain engine parts from damaging the rest of the plane is the number one reason if there is a engine failure like this. Doesn't appear to be damage to the rest of the plane.

Yes it is still running Jet engine are tough. It probably producing thrust which is good. The other issues are the they probably had a fire warning and lesser issue the vibration, So one guy flies and talks to get you back to the airport . The other guy slowly and methodically goes through the checklist to secure the engine. If you rush you make mistakes and shutting down the operating engine would be a bad thing.

Here in the US we go back every 9 months and train and get tested on all these issues for hours in the simulators. Seems like the UAL guys did great everyone is safe and not hurt and once the change the engine and a few parts the plane is reusable.

The NTSB will put a report out in 6 -12 months and you can read what happened and how the crew did. Right now its' al MMQB stuff. The will dig into the black boxes and get the answers.

Got to run shower and head to work.

There was somebody else I think that said that they would have immediately shut the engine off. Do you think that was the case? Or did what you say preclude that happening?

There was somebody else I think that said that they would have immediately shut the engine off. Do you think that was the case? Or did what you say preclude that happening?
I responded to you and said the engine would be shut down. The initial explosion would cause the pilots to go to checklist and a burning engine would not be left running. That video was after the explosion of course. That engine was not being supplied fuel at that point. It was on fire! I have never worked with a Pratt and Whitney brand, but the Rolls and GE cowling (nacelle) is a vital part of the fire suppression system, and of course it was gone so the system wouldn’t work properly. Pratt and Whitney guys would no that better though. Not familiar with their suppression system at all

Advertisement
Back