OT: Freaky ****. United flight loses engine. A miracle that plane didn’t go down.

Exactly. Thank you for being the voice of reason. And planes can fly just fine for a good long bit with one engine. That's why the FAA approved twin engine long-haul aircraft post-747.

Engines have fallen off jetliners before. It’s not an unreasonable question for someone that is not a pilot. Just Google it.

144D2959-5007-49B7-9307-E9F66D8ABF56.jpeg

With that history, and seeing that engine vibrating and shaking while hanging under a wing, also while being battered by the forces of 300+ mph winds without a protective cover, it is an extremely reasonable question to ask. Try harder next time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That’s a 777 so it’s not like an old plane.

Maybe a maintenance issue?

There was a plane that went down a few years ago, because the maintenance people didn’t put some screws in the tail, left the whole line out, a piece flew off in flight, the plane became uncontrollable, went straight into the ground
Actually United 777’s are 1st generation aircraft. About 20 years old with Pratt & Whitney Engines. Boeing since the early 2000’s has only sold the 777 with GE engines.

Engines have fallen off jetliners before. It’s not an unreasonable question for someone that is not a pilot. Just Google it.

View attachment 143761

With that history, and seeing that engine vibrating and shaking while hanging under a wing, also while being battered by the forces of 300+ mph winds without a protective cover, it is an extremely reasonable question to ask. Try harder next time.

1- No one was talking to you.

2- Stop stalking me. (Did I do it right, Spectrum? Isn't that what you always fall back on when someone responds to one of your feeble-minded posts and points out your idiocy?)

3- You don't have to be a pilot to have a rudimentary understating of this topic. You've proven yourself woefully ignorant more than once in this thread already. Take a knee.

Last edited:
Actually United 777’s are 1st generation aircraft. About 20 years old with Pratt & Whitney Engines. Boeing since the early 2000’s has only sold the 777 with GE engines.

Don't bother. Spectrum thinks he knows everything there is to know in the world and he's so pathologically thin-skinned he can never be wrong.

But yeah, dead on... United has been flying 777's for around 26 years already. It's hardly a new design as you said.

I have been a commercial pilot for one of UAL's competitors for 25 plus years. The plane is designed to fly with one engine, so while it is an emergency it is trained for all the time. I'm sure it got the pilots attention but after the 1st min or so tasks were divided up ( 1 flies and talks to ATC and one secures the engine and runs the checklists) after that it is a trip around the pattern to come back and land. 777 came out in the early to mid 90's and is a great jet but sometimes things break.

Well said, hombre.

Advertisement
No need, I'll clue you in. On a flight down to Siesta Key, everything seemed normal. And then BAMMMMMM, halfway through the pleasant ride the roof tore off the plane and all 17 aboard perished in swampy marsh below. Have a great trip.
#Savage

1- No one was talking to you.

2- Stop stalking me. (Did I do it right, Spectrum? Isn't that what you always fall back on when someone responds to one of your feeble-minded posts and points out your idiocy?)

3- You don't have to be a pilot to have a rudimentary understating of this topic. You've proven yourself woefully ignorant more than once in this thread already. Take a knee.

Twink, your only reason to participate in this thread was to follow me around and try to throw a little shade like the over-emotional little simpleton that you are.

I responded to your post in a measured way, and of couse, like an over-estrogenated female, you respond emotionally numerous times.

If you ever have kids, assuming you could ever get it up for a female, which is highly unlikely due to your sissified nature, it’s going to be sad karma if one of them ends up being on the spectrum, or worse.

Last edited:
Jet airplanes are designed to fly on one engine. They are designed to suffer catastrophic engine failures without catastrophic consequences.
The pilots did what they were supposed to do and the whole thing ended uneventfully - as it was designed.

AA Flight 191 changed aviation to ensure a total engine separation at the pylon would never happen again - but if it did, it would be a survivable event.

I know it’s hard to grasp, but with competent pilots, this plane was never in real danger... thanks to the evolution of aeronautical engineering and modern simulator training.

Advertisement
My parents flew to Hawaii yesterday morning from MN at 6am and had a layover in LAX. I didn’t know where their layover was so I was a bit frightened but not so much when I saw everyone was safe. My pops was an airline machinist for 25 years before teaching tool and die at one of the community colleges up here.

And as the above poster mentioned - planes will fly on one engine. It’s not ideal though. I wonder if sully had both engines fail? Or was that one?

My parents flew to Hawaii yesterday morning from MN at 6am and had a layover in LAX. I didn’t know where their layover was so I was a bit frightened but not so much when I saw everyone was safe. My pops was an airline machinist for 25 years before teaching tool and die at one of the community colleges up here.

I hate that LAX (or other Cali city) layover when going to Hawaii. I just don’t think there any nonstops from anywhere east of Dallas or the general Texas area, to Hawaii. It’s possible Chicago has nonstops, but not sure though

Advertisement
Both. He could’ve made it back to an airport with one. I’m not any expert on aviation but I know that they can fly on one engine
That’s what I thought. When my pops worked for Northwest growing up we’d fly everywhere standby for $10 a person. We went to Hawaii when i was 8 and lil sis was 4. We got bumped in LAX several times and spent 17 hours in that airport. Would have been 1988. We did good as kids then but my parents were champs. Imagine an 8 and 4 year old stuck in the airport for 17 hours.

That’s what I thought. When my pops worked for Northwest growing up we’d fly everywhere standby for $10 a person. We went to Hawaii when i was 8 and lil sis was 4. We got bumped in LAX several times and spent 17 hours in that airport. Would have been 1988. We did good as kids then but my parents were champs.

Cant beat those perks. Northwest hasn’t been around for a while. I mean it seems like 20 years ago or so. Was he able to retire out of NorthWest or did he have to go work for another airline?

Also the first time I want to HI it was on points, and the same exact thing happened to me when I was laid over forever in Los Angeles

Cant beat those perks. Northwest hasn’t been around for a while. I mean it seems like 20 years ago or so. Was he able to retire out of NorthWest or did he have to go work for another airline?

Also the first time I want to HI it was on points, and the same exact thing happened to me when I was laid over forever in Los Angeles
He has a pension coming in. Not exactly retirement. He went and got his teachers license while working at Graco for a couple years after the airlines and taught at Minneapolis Community Technical college for 15 years. So he has an airline pension, teachers state pension and social security. He told me 2 days ago he makes more now then while he was employed.

I went to community college for free because of his benefits for 2 years and had a 3.6-3.7 GPA and that got me a 3/4 ride for my last 2 years (for GPA) at a private school. Meanwhile my sister has like $30k in student loans because she didn’t want to go to a CC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back