OT Fields at OSU

DTP

Commander of The Great Heathen Army
Premium
Just saw the numbers from Ohio State's spring game. Justin Fields: 4-14 131 yards. 98 of those came on one bomb to Binjamin Victor who was being covered by a walk-on corner. Maybe struggling learning a new offense at a new school isn't just limited to Tate Martell.

Advertisement
Difference between Fields situation and Martell's is there is no true QB position battle going on at OSU. Everyone knows Fields will be the starter come game 1. That is not the case for Martell. Martell is entrenched in a 3 way battle royale to be the starter here.

And being introduced to a system that is completely alien to him. That is certainly true for Perry and Williams as well. I doubt any of these three took a real snap under center since youth ball. For Perry, it was taking a snap out of I-formation and handing it off to Choc about a half dozen times.

Advertisement
All three are adjusting. They all have their pains. Fields is the unquestioned starter so that is unique. But he’s far and away better than his comp. can’t say the same about tate

Just saw the numbers from Ohio State's spring game. Justin Fields: 4-14 131 yards. 98 of those came on one bomb to Binjamin Victor who was being covered by a walk-on corner. Maybe struggling learning a new offense at a new school isn't just limited to Tate Martell.

But, but , but transferring and getting comfortable in your new new city and having chemistry with tour teammates has nothing to do with producing on the field.

Transfer qbs rarely pan out, if UGA knew the kid was a monster they wouldnt have let him leave
Pretty sure they wouldn’t have been able to block his transfer. NCAA did away with that.
I’m in the camp that thinks the kid is a great talent but also might not be the leader necessary to bring a championship. Fromm might not be Peyton Manning but he is a good leader from what I’ve heard

Advertisement
Pretty sure they wouldn’t have been able to block his transfer. NCAA did away with that.
I’m in the camp that thinks the kid is a great talent but also might not be the leader necessary to bring a championship. Fromm might not be Peyton Manning but he is a good leader from what I’ve heard
Bruh UGA would of did all to keep him, they would of moved mountains to keep him. My guess is they saw him at practice and saw enough and maybe the game was to fast for him. UGA practices are almost bama level by now already and no one lets savages walk away especially at QB, its rare. Chances r the kid sucks its highly probable hes all camp warrior. Not saying your wrong u could be right as well but this is usually the case with these schools/athletes

But, but , but transferring and getting comfortable in your new new city and having chemistry with tour teammates has nothing to do with producing on the field.
I know you want him to win the QB battle BUT transferring to a new city does not affect how accurately you pass the ball, transferring to a new city does not affect how you read defenses ......... learning a new offense does (which all the QB's are going through).

Advertisement
I know you want him to win the QB battle BUT transferring to a new city does not affect how accurately you pass the ball, transferring to a new city does not affect how you read defenses ......... learning a new offense does (which all the QB's are going through).

Actually yes they do. If you're not comfortable u won't be confident. If you're not confident it will throw every aspect of your game off. Same thing with a shooter in basketball. Once they get hot and their confidence builds it's hard to miss. It's like Curry turning his back before the ball is even in the rim. He is confident it's going in.

Yes all 3 are learning a new offense but the other two has chemistry with their teammates. Idk if you've ever played a sport but u have to earn the respect of your teammates. If u earn their respect and become their leader the lineman will block harder for u, WR will run a route harder over the middle bc he knows u wont set him up to get layed out.

The battle will be won this summer. The other two QBs have shown they have character issues in the past.

Martell is going to play. Whether it's dependent on down and distance or other factors he will play. He is not a pocket passer. His run, pass option and running ability are his strengths. Hard to discern in touch practice scrimmages.
With the RB's, TE's and fast WR's on this team a run option QB will be dynamic. We have all watched other team QB's run for a 1st down on 3rd and long because they spread it out and clear running lanes for a running QB and it takes a lot out of a defense.
This is why I think it's either Perry or Martell. Unless we somehow are able to have a really good pass blocking O-Line, Jarren better learn how to play action with the best or he does not fit.

Advertisement
Actually yes they do. If you're not comfortable u won't be confident. If you're not confident it will throw every aspect of your game off. Same thing with a shooter in basketball. Once they get hot and their confidence builds it's hard to miss. It's like Curry turning his back before the ball is even in the rim. He is confident it's going in.

Yes all 3 are learning a new offense but the other two has chemistry with their teammates. Idk if you've ever played a sport but u have to earn the respect of your teammates. If u earn their respect and become their leader the lineman will block harder for u, WR will run a route harder over the middle bc he knows u wont set him up to get layed out.

The battle will be won this summer. The other two QBs have shown they have character issues in the past.

I hope you're right because I didn't see him throw a single spiral in the scrimmage. Doesn't seem like just a confidence/timing/chemistry thing. Time will tell.

Advertisement
Back