OT/ CanesFam....dsddcane is doing Better...

It was a joke for the nose test lol
Just my two cents of what helped me out, tell her to get on Tylenol. That was the #1 thing that helped me, it instantly got rid of my fever and stopped the headaches and body aches as well. I was drinking a lot of hot tea with Splenda in it. and for food it was almost nothing but Tomato soup with bread, crackers or tuna fish sandwiches. Was the only thing that tasted good. this is what worked for me anyways.

Advertisement
You are right, Coronavirus has been around for decades. Covid-19 is a novel strain, but then again, there are new strains of the flu every year too. We should really be fighting a never-ending battle against newer and newer versions of flus and viruses each and every year.

****, one of the deans at the Baylor Med school went to Congress to get funding for innoculation trials for existing versions of Coronavirus in 2016, and he was denied.

When it comes to fighting flus and viruses in the US, we are all about checkers, not chess, the last few years. Let's just try to fix the immediate problem, while ignoring the bigger picture.

Facts!

She is in a 24/7 facility now. She has regained partial use of her left side. I was just shocked like that's my mom's youngest sister. It hit my mom hard. She was realizing how her own mortality can be gone in the blink of an eye. Protect yourself and that's the best thing you can do.

Dang bro; man prayers w u & your family and hoping ur aunt can get full or at least majority functional abilities. Sheesh man.

You are right, Coronavirus has been around for decades. Covid-19 is a novel strain, but then again, there are new strains of the flu every year too. We should really be fighting a never-ending battle against newer and newer versions of flus and viruses each and every year.

****, one of the deans at the Baylor Med school went to Congress to get funding for innoculation trials for existing versions of Coronavirus in 2016, and he was denied.

When it comes to fighting flus and viruses in the US, we are all about checkers, not chess, the last few years. Let's just try to fix the immediate problem, while ignoring the bigger picture.
It’s about checks. No private company wants to make new antibiotics or vaccines for one time viruses. Why make a vaccine with your profits when this may be gone in a year. Why make antibiotics when they might not work in 5 years after a bacteria gains resistance. It’s just business 101. Unless our tax dollars are getting pumped in; private pharmaceutical companies don’t like cures. Shareholders aren’t into cures. Shareholders love chronic illness. Not a conspiracy theorist or anti capitalist but it’s just facts. The flu is a perfect example. Different strains every year and a new vaccine every year. Perfect for profits.

Advertisement
It’s about checks. No private company wants to make new antibiotics or vaccines for one time viruses. Why make a vaccine with your profits when this may be gone in a year. Why make antibiotics when they might not work in 5 years after a bacteria gains resistance. It’s just business 101. Unless our tax dollars are getting pumped in; private pharmaceutical companies don’t like cures. Shareholders aren’t into cures. Shareholders love chronic illness. Not a conspiracy theorist or anti capitalist but it’s just facts. The flu is a perfect example. Different strains every year and a new vaccine every year. Perfect for profits.
Coronaviruses aren't usually this deadly for one thing.

I completely understand that. Which is why a 100% private solution and a 100% government solution are both bad options.

Government needs to be involved in areas where private industry is slow to act or does not have a profit motive. The CDC already goes out and walks the earth looking for this ****e, and we need to find a way to harness a public-private partnership.

At any rate, I still think there is SOMEWHAT of a motivation on the public side, just look at flu vaccines, they've created a nice racket. Every year, we line up for flu shots, and it's definitely not the same shot every year. Flus come and go, they mutate, etc., and we have to come up with a modified shot every year.

We should be doing the same thing on viruses. Yes, you probably need some government funding on it too, but once we get to a vaccine stage, you let private industry carry the football across the goal line.

Advertisement
I completely understand that. Which is why a 100% private solution and a 100% government solution are both bad options.

Government needs to be involved in areas where private industry is slow to act or does not have a profit motive. The CDC already goes out and walks the earth looking for this ****e, and we need to find a way to harness a public-private partnership.

At any rate, I still think there is SOMEWHAT of a motivation on the public side, just look at flu vaccines, they've created a nice racket. Every year, we line up for flu shots, and it's definitely not the same shot every year. Flus come and go, they mutate, etc., and we have to come up with a modified shot every year.

We should be doing the same thing on viruses. Yes, you probably need some government funding on it too, but once we get to a vaccine stage, you let private industry carry the football across the goal line.
Agree. Use the advantages that both options can bring. But can’t let private companies just take a blank check either. Their should be a non biased checks and balances system. Remember, corporations have only one responsibility. So we may help fund the research but the solutions they come up with may only have one intended option and it’s to be profitable. Those are facts and not some leftist conspiracy sht. It’s basic business fundamentals. No private company is going to spend hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars to do research on potential new pandemics and the medications and treatments to combat them. The pandemics might not happen and if you stop the disease early you get no profit.
We spend billions on potential war but a single virus has done more damage to the American economy And killed more Americans than the taliban or isis.
We need very smart people to figure out how to manage and deal with the next one. Or stop the next one from even happening. Maybe the solution is to have a supply and research system similar to the military. Private companies doing the research for different aspects of dealing with a pandemic. ppe, testing, vaccines, identification, quarantine parameters etc. You establish a diverse supply chain that is redundant and spread it across the US so every state is invested in protecting America. And make sure not one thing that you depend on is made or supplied solely by and adversary or a place with an unstable government. Can’t depend on any southeast Asian or Asian government to give 3 fcks about a pandemic. Wet markets, bat soup, and exotic animals are being traded and eaten as we speak and no one in our government is saying anything to these mfers that has any consequences.

Agree. Use the advantages that both options can bring. But can’t let private companies just take a blank check either. Their should be a non biased checks and balances system. Remember, corporations have only one responsibility. So we may help fund the research but the solutions they come up with may only have one intended option and it’s to be profitable. Those are facts and not some leftist conspiracy sht. It’s basic business fundamentals. No private company is going to spend hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars to do research on potential new pandemics and the medications and treatments to combat them. The pandemics might not happen and if you stop the disease early you get no profit.
We spend billions on potential war but a single virus has done more damage to the American economy And killed more Americans than the taliban or isis.
We need very smart people to figure out how to manage and deal with the next one. Or stop the next one from even happening. Maybe the solution is to have a supply and research system similar to the military. Private companies doing the research for different aspects of dealing with a pandemic. ppe, testing, vaccines, identification, quarantine parameters etc. You establish a diverse supply chain that is redundant and spread it across the US so every state is invested in protecting America. And make sure not one thing that you depend on is made or supplied solely by and adversary or a place with an unstable government. Can’t depend on any southeast Asian or Asian government to give 3 fcks about a pandemic. Wet markets, bat soup, and exotic animals are being traded and eaten as we speak and no one in our government is saying anything to these mfers that has any consequences.
Excellent post. It's a national security issue we are reliant on foreign countries for medical supplies, testing, and other things like electronics. Would be a shame of all our advanced weaponry won't work in a real war because we can't get parts.

Um, that's completely inaccurate. Obviously it depends on the vaccine (not a ton of money with certain vaccines that hit the 3rd world, for example), but in general, if you hit on a breakthrough vaccine, your company is going to be rolling in it.

/been working in pharma and biotech for 20 years and my present company is working on a covid vaccine and therapeutic
//trust me, the dough is there and trust me, biotechs/pharmas like cures

That aside, @dsddcane, get well soon, my brother. I am praying for your recovery

Advertisement
Um, that's completely inaccurate. Obviously it depends on the vaccine (not a ton of money with certain vaccines that hit the 3rd world, for example), but in general, if you hit on a breakthrough vaccine, your company is going to be rolling in it.

/been working in pharma and biotech for 20 years and my present company is working on a covid vaccine and therapeutic

That aside, @dsddcane, get well soon, my brother. I am praying for your recovery
What I am saying is having companies start trying to make vaccines for viruses that may occur. What if you would’ve told a roche to make a vaccine for corona virus 10 years ago. They would laugh in your face. We still don’t have an H7N9 vaccine approved. That sht makes covid look like a pollen allergy. We have trials and some potential ones. But no vaccine we can just roll out if that virus gets out.
Yet we have billions of dollars worth of spy satellites for defense. This government needs to wake up. What if some terrorist group pays a Chinese guy in a duck farm to bring him a sick bird? Now this little fckng jihadi wants to fly the friendly skies to Beijing Mexico City New York an Tokyo.
It would be martial law all over the world.

Advertisement

Agreed - been in the industry myself and most of the vaccines i worked around were preventative cures......Flu being the only one that isn't because it changes every year. The government does fund ongoing research and preparedness for pandemic Flu strains.

Agreed. I think the military model is an excellent example of how to work both sides of the equation. Private industry is not, independently, sitting in a room dreaming up new guns and tanks and ships and planes. The military shares information about what works in the field, what does not work, what they need, etc.

The Declaration of Independence lists our unalienable rights as life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The Preamble to the Constitution states that we are creating the Constitution to, among other things, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, and promote the general welfare. As someone pointed out earlier, we can even envision the defense against pandemics as a national security issue. So there is plenty of room to establish a federal interest and a federal role in defending the country against pandemics. Something that is more powerful than the cynical arguments for federalism ("let the states do all of this") or capitalism ("let private industry do all of this").

You are correct, corporations are, literally, supposed to operate as sharks, devouring everything in their paths in the pursuit of profit. It would be very difficult for private industry to have employees all over the globe simply to do the research and data collection on novel viruses and novel strains of the flu and other diseases. Governmental and quasi-governmental agencies can do that.

And once there is research and data, the government can share that information with American private industry, which has the muscle to produce and distribute innoculations and vaccines. In fact, that's pretty much the system we have now (with several substantial imperfections). When WHO distributed the COVID-19 genome-typing and the blueprint for a testing kit in late January 2020, it was never supposed to be left to the CDC to then "manufacture" those testing kits, it was always going to be private industry that did that. We just have a ****-poor communication and sharing system (particularly since the pandemic response unit within the NSA has been dismantled), not to mention a president who would then choose not to immediately use the Defense Production Act to authorize the mass-manufacture and mass-distribution of testing kits across the country. Because he doesn't like testing. Because then the numbers would be higher.

I have/had Covid. My 14 days quarantine is up Thursday. Had every symptom but the respiratory issues. It felt like the flu but losing your sense of smell was the dead giveaway. I know there are outliers, but for younger healthy people, you’re gonna be just fine, for the most part. Keep your head up.
FIFY. Congrats on beating it. My cousin beat it also, and he said the respiratory issues were the worst. He said it actually hurt him to breathe. He passed out twice (one time it was after he climbed the flight of stairs to his bedroom), and it shook him up so bad that he was afraid to go to sleep for a few nights, because he didn't know if he would wake up.

Advertisement
Back