OT/ CanesFam....dsddcane is doing Better...

Agreed. I think the military model is an excellent example of how to work both sides of the equation. Private industry is not, independently, sitting in a room dreaming up new guns and tanks and ships and planes. The military shares information about what works in the field, what does not work, what they need, etc.

The Declaration of Independence lists our unalienable rights as life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The Preamble to the Constitution states that we are creating the Constitution to, among other things, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, and promote the general welfare. As someone pointed out earlier, we can even envision the defense against pandemics as a national security issue. So there is plenty of room to establish a federal interest and a federal role in defending the country against pandemics. Something that is more powerful than the cynical arguments for federalism ("let the states do all of this") or capitalism ("let private industry do all of this").

You are correct, corporations are, literally, supposed to operate as sharks, devouring everything in their paths in the pursuit of profit. It would be very difficult for private industry to have employees all over the globe simply to do the research and data collection on novel viruses and novel strains of the flu and other diseases. Governmental and quasi-governmental agencies can do that.

And once there is research and data, the government can share that information with American private industry, which has the muscle to produce and distribute innoculations and vaccines. In fact, that's pretty much the system we have now (with several substantial imperfections). When WHO distributed the COVID-19 genome-typing and the blueprint for a testing kit in late January 2020, it was never supposed to be left to the CDC to then "manufacture" those testing kits, it was always going to be private industry that did that. We just have a ****-poor communication and sharing system (particularly since the pandemic response unit within the NSA has been dismantled), not to mention a president who would then choose not to immediately use the Defense Production Act to authorize the mass-manufacture and mass-distribution of testing kits across the country. Because he doesn't like testing. Because then the numbers would be higher.
Our military procurement model needs some massive fine tuning--although it is ok.

Requirements "creep" and overpromise/underdeliver and you get A-12, B1-B, Bradley Fighting Vehicle, and most recently F35 (works now, very rough, rough start).

Very important point: 99% alphas in DoD (and the good/bad) that comes with.

99% passive-aggressive betas in research medicine (and the good/bad) that comes with.

Might not illicit the same results.

Advertisement
Expect hospitalizations and deaths to increase.

The question though, is by how much.

Right now, the increase in hospitalizations is real, manageable, and not commensurate with the large spike in reported positive cases. Will it remain that way?

We’ll know in a month.

Otherwise, everybody has a theory on what’s going to happen over the next few weeks. Doesn’t mean they are right.
For anyone looking at this objectively, that's all you can do. Our best guess right now is that we are currently good, but there are indicators that may change for the worse. Re-evaluate in a week.

Most recent numbers I have seen are 80% of Florida hospital beds are full. That's scary and certainly cause for concern, but not insurmountable yet. Pinellas county hit especially hard with ICU beds at the moment. Dade and Broward in a better position because of additional beds created. In South Florida, it looks like staff shortages may be the more significant hurdle for the time being. Fingers crossed.

Most recent numbers I have seen are 80% of Florida hospital beds are full. That's scary and certainly cause for concern, but not insurmountable yet. Pinellas county hit especially hard with ICU beds at the moment. Dade and Broward in a better position because of additional beds created. In South Florida, it looks like staff shortages may be the more significant hurdle for the time being. Fingers crossed.

Today's hospitalizations in Dade went up, but available beds went up too. The number of invites I got to 4th parties yesterday was not encouraging, though.

Advertisement
Don't look to bed utilization as a measure. There are plenty of times we reach 100% utilization without Covid around.

holdontoyourbutts.jpg

Don't look to bed utilization as a measure. There are plenty of times we reach 100% utilization without Covid around.

When 3/4 occupied ICU beds in Dade are occupied because of covid-19, I'm going to look at bed utilization as an indicator for our healthcare system's ability to deal covid-19 (and, therefore, an indicator of the severity of the pandemic down here).

When 3/4 occupied ICU beds in Dade are occupied because of covid-19, I'm going to look at bed utilization as an indicator for our healthcare system's ability to deal covid-19 (and, therefore, an indicator of the severity of the pandemic down here).
The issue in terms of beds is having to essentially cut off a section of a hospital to control contamination. They still have to function as a ordinary hospital. It’s easier to do it in ICU because they usually will have the most beds and equipment on hand usually. I can’t stand when they use this designation in the media. The hospital simply creates another floor to house them and the nurse’s/respiratory therapist’s patient list increase. The real issue is respirators and always was respirators. That’s what a hospital can’t create and that is the sign to look for.

Advertisement
Just so everybody knows.

Everything is going to rise but I don’t think the death rate is going to rise up to where it was before and I even think it might keep dropping compared to the increase in cases. This seems to the peak leading into the valley that ends this...hopefully.

Under normal circumstances hospitals run 90% plus in ICU and nearly 100% in bed usage overall. There’s plenty of beds because most elective surgeries aren’t being done.

The issue in terms of beds is having to essentially cut off a section of a hospital to control contamination. They still have to function as a ordinary hospital. It’s easier to do it in ICU because they usually will have the most beds and equipment on hand usually. I can’t stand when they use this designation in the media. The hospital simply creates another floor to house them and the nurse’s/respiratory therapist’s patient list increase. The real issue is respirators and always was respirators. That’s what a hospital can’t create and that is the sign to look for.
I know you know. Its called the covid wing and it's apart from the icu.

Advertisement

More than 30% of all admissions testing positive are being admitted for another reason altogether.

They’re all being tested out of caution and money of course. So be usage is very misleading.

Yeah. The idea of packing fans into stadiums should be completely shelved. Not happening.

Keep your eye on hospitalizations. I'm encouraged that death numbers have been fairly steady around 125K for some time. But if hospitalizations start spiking hard we'll likely wind up in a situation like NY was in a couple months ago where people were dropping like flies.

I haven't studied the hospitalization numbers in all these states that are spiking. If the rates are not spiking, then that tells me either the virus isn't as potent, or the people catching it now are much younger, or a combination of the two.

Anyone know how long it took NY hospitalizations to spike in relation to the number of daily cases. I'm sure there was somewhat of a lag.

Big Ron will purposely send infected patients into nursing homes to slaughter them?

Advertisement
Since testing wasn’t anywhere near what it is now, the data is skewed. When NY was hit we were testing like 5K a day nationwide. The spike they saw cane from 100’s of thousands of cases going undetected in late Feb and early March.

I saw a chart that there was a 7 day lag though on the data we did have back then. Some states have been open for months and are just now seeing spikes. As for hospitals the 14 day trend isn’t showing anything too alarming outside of Houston and spots in Arizona. The capacity issue is more about hospitals being open for elective surgeries and other patients now going to hospitals for emergencies where before they were not cause they were worried they would get the virus.

COVID patients aren’t overrunning ICU wards in 99% of America. The next 3 weeks tell us everything we need to know.

if deaths stay flat, it means those infected are generally healthier and younger, or the treatments have gotten better. Both I believe are true.

deaths are not going to completely go away. We shut down originally to not overwhelm hospitals, now we as a county focus on cases and not hospitals. I don’t know why and when the whole agenda changed to save every life verse let’s not overrun hospitals.

This virus is serious and people should wear mask, however I do believe there is a way to continue with life in a smart and safe way.

I live in Nashville and we just went back a phase because cases “spiked” yet they followed up that exact news with the fact that they mass tested and Found cases linked to multiple bars. That means it’s a bunch of kids. Older people/those with underlying conditions know to shutter in place for now. We can’t continue to **** down the country because 20-35 year old adults are out in about living life.

Very good friend’s son just tested positive In Nashville. She’s now starting to feel like ****. She’s getting tested tomorrow but most certainly has it.

There a reason AHCA stopped reporting ICU numbers. It's because newspapers were running panic pieces about ICU running at capacity when it's meaningless in relation to Covid.

Advertisement
Back