OT/ CanesFam....dsddcane is doing Better...

Amazing how most of us in medicine from the get go said yeah wow this is pretty bad be careful but were never like “holy F close it all down forever”

Now the fear pushers and “leaders” at the top have somehow taken credibility away of the real first line. It’s incredible. Can’t push it into anyone’s skull something can be serious and not be world ending at the same time

The efficacy of emotion over reason . . .

Advertisement
What the do guidelines have to do with our icu that’s full of covid patients?
With lockdowns and masks and social distancing we’re getting close to 150k deaths since February and people still think this sht is make believe.
Mind you I’m not fear spreader and I’m not asking to stay home and fear the boogie man (that’s for gators) or go jogging on empty streets with a mask. Most people will be fine and just get bad flu symptoms and kids do remarkably well.
But doesn’t erase the fact That a lot of people are dying of this.

2 million deaths per year at last count. So people are dying all over the place each year. I am just questioning exactly from what?????

Does it not strike your curiosity that with the uptick in COVID deaths at the same time there is a statistical decline of other deaths from heart disease or other common respiratory ailments from their 5 year averages during the same period? Could it be some of those cases are being conflated with the COVID fatality data?

Do you know that people in hospices dying of cancer that may have had 2 weeks to live were counted as a COVID death if they died having tested positive? Nearly half the cases of deaths are from nursing homes with people infirmed due to a variety of ailments but yet if they died with COVID it was presumed as the main cause on their death certificate.

Not saying there's a conspiracy. The guidelines of how to count COVID fatalities are very lax so the accuracy of the numbers are simply suspect.

@pacusmc, one thing I can say is that we have Persons Under Investigation (PUI) in the hospital awaiting results. But they would be admitted in any case, not just because they're possible Covids. We've treated more patients as outpatients than we have as inpatients. Two to one to be be exact.

Nobody's getting rich off Covid.
I understand. Can’t expect a less populated area or a hospital with fewer resources to have the same number of positives. But when nyc was getting hit the rhetoric was it’s a nyc problem. But now even the red states are getting hit. But if Sofla is getting hit then the people of Ocala are saying it’s a Miami problem. It’s not until your hospital or your area gets hit that people take notice.
Our admission criteria for covid is very strict. Nowhere near what it was at first and we are still admitting more people than before despite making the criteria more stringent than 3 months ago.

2 million deaths per year at last count. So people are dying all over the place each year. I am just questioning exactly from what?????

Does it not strike your curiosity that with the uptick in COVID deaths at the same time there is a statistical decline of other deaths from heart disease or other common respiratory ailments from their 5 year averages during the same period? Could it be some of those cases are being conflated with the COVID fatality data?

Do you know that people in hospices dying of cancer that may have had 2 weeks to live were counted as a COVID death if they died having tested positive? Nearly half the cases of deaths are from nursing homes with people infirmed due to a variety of ailments but yet if they died with COVID it was presumed as the main cause on their death certificate.

Not saying there's a conspiracy. The guidelines of how to count COVID fatalities are very lax so the accuracy of the numbers are simply suspect.
My father had terminal gastric cancer. He developed bilateral pulmonary embolisms. His heart eventually gave out and I had signed a DNR. His cause of death officially was “cardiac arrest secondary to a pulmonary embolism” and not “gastric cancer”. When people ask me what my dad does if I say cancer.
If I get a healthy patient who is 45 and gets intubated for covid and dies of complications from covid then the cause of death will be covid.
The patient would not have been intubated and not had a complications if it wasn’t for covid. The same thing happens with influenza. Cancer is considered a chronic illness and patients eventually die of sepsis or end organ damage. So while the death certificate says cardiac arrest i believe the death eventually goes down as complications from cancer.
I just saw a podcast where a dude was saying if you have corona and a piano falls on you then the cause of death will be corona. That’s just not true.
We have to think logically. There are a bunch of nursing home residents here in Florida who were very sick but they got corona and died same if they would’ve died from flu or pneumonia or septic shock.
I’m not ignorant to the fact that greedy people will find opportunity. But to inflate those numbers at the level people are insinuating is pretty difficult.

Advertisement
My father had terminal gastric cancer. He developed bilateral pulmonary embolisms. His heart eventually gave out and I had signed a DNR. His cause of death officially was “cardiac arrest secondary to a pulmonary embolism” and not “gastric cancer”. When people ask me what my dad does if I say cancer.
If I get a healthy patient who is 45 and gets intubated for covid and dies of complications from covid then the cause of death will be covid.
The patient would not have been intubated and not had a complications if it wasn’t for covid. The same thing happens with influenza. Cancer is considered a chronic illness and patients eventually die of sepsis or end organ damage. So while the death certificate says cardiac arrest i believe the death eventually goes down as complications from cancer.
I just saw a podcast where a dude was saying if you have corona and a piano falls on you then the cause of death will be corona. That’s just not true.
We have to think logically. There are a bunch of nursing home residents here in Florida who were very sick but they got corona and died same if they would’ve died from flu or pneumonia or septic shock.
I’m not ignorant to the fact that greedy people will find opportunity. But to inflate those numbers at the level people are insinuating is pretty difficult.
People don't understand that every single diagnosis a patient has will be listed on their death certificate and it's very easy from a reporting standpoint to conflate a list of patients who died FROM covid with one who died WITH covid. This was hashed out on the covid forum months ago and people still refuse to believe what's reported.

Sorry for your loss. But to use your dad's situation if he had also had COVID could his cause of death though multi-factorial still been conflated with COVID in the counts if listed on his death certificate? I am only suggesting the possibility of errors in counting leading to inaccurate estimates and this misleading how the media reports it and how the generally unanalytical public digests the information.

The issue is more incompetence than malfeasance. But I don't necessarily rule the latter out in how the information gets highlighted in some respects and buried in others to maintain a certain narrative.

Anyway, your dad's case certainly indicates a level of uncertainty in the cause of death when there are multiple issues involved. Throw in financial incentives for reporting a certain way and that just compounds the problem instead of making it clearer.

People don't understand that every single diagnosis a patient has will be listed on their death certificate and it's very easy from a reporting standpoint to conflate a list of patients who died FROM covid with one who died WITH covid. This was hashed out on the covid forum months ago and people still refuse to believe what's reported.

So do you think the conflation that occurs is based on the guidelines the CDC has given medical professionals for reporting COVID deaths? Or are there other factors involved?

So do you think the conflation that occurs is based on the guidelines the CDC has given medical professionals for reporting COVID deaths? Or are there other factors involved?
I'd bet it's mostly miscommunication. misunderstanding, and timing. Data has been reported for years without issue, but there's political hay to be made now, so it's all about that supposedly. Hospitals haven't changed the way they report, FYI.

Advertisement
I'd bet it's mostly miscommunication. misunderstanding, and timing. Data has been reported for years without issue, but there's political hay to be made now, so it's all about that supposedly. Hospitals haven't changed the way they report, FYI.

Probably right about that. I am sure if influenza were as politically charged and got the same level of scrutiny as COVID we would see the same issues.

Sorry for your loss. But to use your dad's situation if he had also had COVID could his cause of death though multi-factorial still been conflated with COVID in the counts if listed on his death certificate? I am only suggesting the possibility of errors in counting leading to inaccurate estimates and this misleading how the media reports it and how the generally unanalytical public digests the information.

The issue is more incompetence than malfeasance. But I don't necessarily rule the latter out in how the information gets highlighted in some respects and buried in others to maintain a certain narrative.

Anyway, your dad's case certainly indicates a level of uncertainty in the cause of death when there are multiple issues involved. Throw in financial incentives for reporting a certain way and that just compounds the problem instead of making it clearer.
I see your point. From a medical standpoint its should be clear what the final cause of death was. If I have bed ridden cancer patient in hospice who will likely die soon but gets corona and dies of respiratory distress can I really say she died of cancer complications?

Same token if I have a morbidly obese diabetic, hypertensive patient that is 45 and also smokes that gets covid and he dies of respiratory distress; How are you going to say he didn’t die from corona?
Not every case can be a healthy 30 year old that runs a marathon that got covid and dies of respiratory distress. The fact that most of the deaths are elderly patients with complications doesn’t change the fact that they died from corona.
It’s like saying the sickest people were gonna for anyway so why are you blaming covid.

The problem is that people are intubated and dying from complications from blood clots to organs including brain and heart secondary to increased coagulation from corona. These are things we’ve known would happen from experiences in Spain China and Italy and nyc. Does that mean that corona was not the cause of death?

I hate to sound so one sided. Again not going to doubt that maybe some hospice care or a few Hialeah nursing homes are gonna try to find some Medicare scam. I’m sure their will be. This county leads the nation in Medicare fraud.

I’m just glad Dee is doing better because he made me promise a couple years ago that, if there was ever a global pandemic that he was close to succumbing to, that I would reveal to CIS his true identity: Carlos Huerta. And I just wasn’t sure I was ready for that type of responsibility.

The presence of dusty rusted-out empty beer cans in the back of the pick-up indicated that the accident was alcohol-related . . .

Advertisement
I’m just glad Dee is doing better because he made me promise a couple years ago that, if there was ever a global pandemic that he was close to succumbing to, that I would reveal to CIS his true identity: Carlos Huerta. And I just wasn’t sure I was ready for that type of responsibility.
If that's true, I wish I was nicer to him.

That bleach blonde Tampa trash **** that blobby has as his current mouthpiece will tell you the sun rises in the west with a straight face just like her boss. Anyone who believes a word coming out of that den of debauchery needs to be committed, as they're a danger to themselves and others.

But but but she's a Cane, dude. Her and Ol' Tubs are Miami to the core.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back