Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
LMAO
You handled 4 roses single barrel like a champ and that's 100 proof .

So , what rum should I buy to sip?
I’m new at this too but I’ve had a bunch now. One I like is the Zacapa Solera 23 Gran Reserva. It’s about $50. I like some of the Dominican Cane Sugar Rums I’ve had which go caramel and toasted vanilla but seem a little sweeter. This one is from Guatemala and I’m tasting more plum and apricot in it. 80 Proof.

I’m trying to remember. I think I’ve had all of them except that one, the cheap one and the Statesman.
1910 should be very enjoyable . Manageable proof and great taste with a thick mouth feel.

I've been drinking 1792 full proof the last few days and since like 3 today .

Advertisement
1910 should be very enjoyable . Manageable proof and great taste with a thick mouth feel.

I've been drinking 1792 full proof the last few days and since like 3 today .
I’ll give it a try when I go back to Bourbon. This is what the Zacapa looks like. It comes in that cylinder.

EAB0DC02-AC79-4DEC-AA31-93FA60A54382.jpeg

Some of my faves:
Elmer T. Lee (buy it if you see it)​
Johnny Drum​
Willet - Rye & Green label​
Rowans Creek​
EH Taylor​
Overrated (IMO): Bookers, Bakers, Woodford, Basil Hayden​
Elmer is a definite buy . EH Taylor is amazing bourbon.

Rowan Creek and Noahs Mill are 2 I have to try .

Advertisement
If you want to try something different as a bourbon lover, try riazul anejo. I know, tequila. Put it on the rocks. It’s aged in cognac barrels and somehow comes out with a bourbonesque smoke.
Been into cognac lately ( a little bit ) . Hardys Legend and Claude Chatellier is what ive been sipping on .

became my go to because before the virus shut things down, I could always find makers mark at any restaurant, bar or nightclub.
Makers , makers 46 , makers 46 cask strength?

Not a huge fan of Makers but do like wheaters and haven't tried Makers46 cask strength

The Japanese pay heavily for much of the product and Sazerac which is Buffalo Trace and has labels like Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, Stagg, Wellers, Pappy, Col. Taylor, etc. has created an allocation type market in the states where they are distributing less at retail making the demand higher and aftermarket prices pretty much insane, since they are getting higher whole sale from the Japanese.

For example, Blantons 5 years ago was $57-$65 retail Rock Hill $49. Now Blantons is still $65 but may find it once every 2-3 months if that, based on where you live.

Rock Hill is next to impossible and $400 aftermarket. Absolute insanity.

One more I will add, they have 1792 which is readily available but 1792 has a sweet wheat which is awesome and nearly impossible to find. So **** frustrating, all of this.
Where are you located ? Agree with everything except finding 1792 . I find it with relative ease in South Florida.

You're right about it being delicious .

If you like Whistlepig's 10 year product, try Masterson's 10 year Straight Rye and Jefferson's 10 year Rye (if you can find it). WhistlePig has a lot of people who strongly advocate for it over the other two, and while I like it and generally have a bottle in my house, I think some of its hype is unwarranted. IMO WhistlePig pulled the wool over people's eyes by getting them to (falsely) believe they are some sort of craft whiskey product out of Vermont via slick marketing, when in reality its a Canadian product made at Alberta Distillers (a huge producer in Calgary similar to Indiana's MGP Distillery). Masterson's, with its old west theme and name, has made a similarly veiled marketing pitch, but at least the bottle has always stated it is a Canadian product. Jefferson's, too, has masqueraded as a craft distillery, though at least they do actually produce a bunch of American bourbons.

Anyway, Jefferson's 10 year straight rye, Masterson's 10 year straight rye, and Whistlepig's 10 year straight rye are all produced at the same distillery: Alberta Distillers. Major difference is Masterson's is bottled at 90 proof vs. Jefferson's at 94 proof vs. 100 proof for WhistlePig, so @RVACane (or anyone else who prefers a little less ABV), those may be more your speed. There are definitely some subtle differences in the flavor (Whistlepig tastes sweeter to me, for instance), which likely have to do with the difference in ABV and barrel options (they all use new American oak, but Whistlepig is finished in used bourbon barrels... not sure about the other two). Whistlepig claims it also ages (for some time, who knows how long??) its whiskey on its Vermont farm, so that could play a factor in the flavor profile.

Once upon a time, the best bang for your buck of the three was probably the Jefferson's 10 year straight rye, but the price steadily creeped up and it has been a minute since I saw a bottle at any of my choice liquor stores. I'm not even sure they still produce it or if its a seasonal thing now, to be honest.
Rendezvous Rye is great since you seem to like Rye .

Advertisement
Hancock's is a hidden gem at only 88.9 proof . Rare Breed is great and RB and OF 1920 are the ultimate daily drinkers.

Advertisement
Been into cognac lately ( a little bit ) . Hardys Legend and Claude Chatellier is what ive been sipping on .
Cognac can obviously get very expensive, very quickly, especially at the larger brands. However there is a huge movement of craft and grower cognacs that are both really good and reasonably priced. Nice little summary of some smaller labels:
www.gq.com/story/the-best-cognacs/amp

The rumor is that the Bowman Bro's single barrel is actually Blanton's juice that is shipped to Virginia, finished in some other barrels by Bowman, and then bottled and sold. Many insiders love it. Unfortunately, ABC has moved the single barrel into the Vault. They are only carrying the small batch on the shelves around here.
that's exactly what it is. it's very, very good. before the bourbon craze spiked i got a bottle of abraham bowman (that year was apple cider barrel finished) and it's one of the best i've ever had.

Stagg Jr...I'm jealous . Haven't seen that in a while.

How much was the Weller full proof ?
$44 and that's about how much it's worth. bended 12 and 107 (poor man's pappy) is honestly better. we have a huge liquor chain in texas that sells below msrp if you pay cash. i refuse to pay more than msrp for my stuff so it's a godsend.

Advertisement
Back