OT: Booger McFarland thinks Black Players more focused on building a brand than playing

Advertisement
Nothing you can do but let the social pendulum swing and watch everyone lose their minds from a distance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/esp-ns-boo...-task-amid-dwayne-haskins-saga-064534765.html

YIKES! I do think it's more a product of the generation than it is of race. A lot of posters here have echoed similar thoughts on this new generation of SoFla players having a similar mentality (without bringing in the race card). The thing is, I don't know what you do about it.

you cant have it both ways. we all agree the new player likeness stuff will help Miami in recruiting as players can build their brands and market off of it in larger cities more than they can in a small town, but you cant then shame them for doing it.

Advertisement
I'm going to start this off with, this is such an Old Man "Kid's These Day's" take that I can't even take it seriously lmao.

Now let's say, hypothetically, Booger has a point. Is it wrong for players to try and build a "brand"? Most players are out of the league in what, 4-5 years? Why not try to maximize your time and get as much money as possible.

In a league/world dominated by money... Players asking how do I establish myself to make more money... Is a fault?

I'm going to start this off with, this is such an Old Man "Kid's These Day's" take that I can't even take it seriously lmao.

Now let's say, hypothetically, Booger has a point. Is it wrong for players to try and build a "brand"? Most players are out of the league in what, 4-5 years? Why not try to maximize your time and get as much money as possible.

Funny my son and I had this exact conversation just 2 days ago. His take was what you said to the T, but my take was I don't follow my teams to glorify players. I rarely watch random games to see players play. Its all about how it impacts my team and I follow my teams religiously and spend money on my teams because I want to see them win. I barely care what players they do that with. I like to see my college team's players do well in the pros but it ends there.

If I was a GM I would weed out every personality I could that puts the "me" before the "we" because from my school of thought putting the "we" in front of everything else is what creates dynasties and that's what I want from my sports teams. It’s an old thought that has driven me away from pro sports over the years. The NBA is dog ****. I haven’t been excited about an NFL game for decades. But when the Canes play you don’t want to be in the same room as me. I can’t sit down, I scream at the TV, I get drunk as ****, every call against us is cheating and every bad call from the coaches means they should be sent packing right there. To me… Miami gradually fell from grace as the “me” brand of football became more and more the norm.

I aint mad for them trying to get there’s… but don’t be mad at me for not buying your product and propping up the good ol days.

Advertisement
So there are about 1815 players in the NFL with 70 percent being African American which is 1270. You give 4 or 5 examples and you paint the entire race with this nonsense? Come on man. Everybody cares about building a brand, it's not just an athlete thing it is generational. It transcends race. You can care about these things and still perform on the field.....

you cant have it both ways. we all agree the new player likeness stuff will help Miami in recruiting as players can build their brands and market off of it in larger cities more than they can in a small town, but you cant then shame them for doing it.
We all don’t agree. The only people who agree with takes like this (unfortunately a lot of people on this board) don’t understand college towns and the entire states that identify with them. There may be some kids who benefit in Miami but it won’t be an advantage over these college towns; especially, SEC ones.

I believe his point, as ham handed as it may have been, was focus on structurally being an elite NFL player.

Do that, "brand" takes care of itself.

Not this vice versa "fake it until you make it" garbage.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back