OSU QB Matthew Baldwin enters Portal

Advertisement
Advertisement
This just confirms to me that Justin Fields had the job no matter what and Tate knew this

Maybe not guaranteed the job, but given that "it's yours to lose" opportunity given what they had remaining on the roster. You know, like T. Martell. Difference is TM came into a situation with skills the others also possessed.

Advertisement
Yea it feels like Fields was promised that job . It really wouldn’t make sense for him to transfer there if they hadn’t, Fromm is gone after this year anyways

You don’t transfer an risk sitting out a year AND not winning the job without some kind of guarantee

Advertisement
Advertisement
Maybe not guaranteed the job, but given that "it's yours to lose" opportunity given what they had remaining on the roster. You know, like T. Martell. Difference is TM came into a situation with skills the others also possessed.
Fields was given the job. He didn't transfer to go compete.

Fields was all but assured of winning the job with whomever he picked. He is one of the two highest rated QB's since they started rating them. The other one was Lawrence.

He didn't have to be handed anything. The expectations for him are as high as they come and he would be the leader to win basically any open QB spot.

We'll see if he lives up to the billing. If he's the real deal and all he's cracked up to be, he would start for all but a handful of schools.

A lot of you are basically just assuming some bs while ignoring a very similar situation right under your nose. Why would Tate come here unless he was promised a spot? Do you believe Manny is about that? Obviously he isn't, so why did Tate come then? Open spot, no incumbent, and that's that. Sounds exactly like the situation Fields walked into. As a big-time recruit, he was only going to pick from a top school. It was always going to be OSU, Bama, or OU basically.

Last edited:
Fields was all but assured of winning the job with whomever he picked. He is one of the two highest rated QB's since they started rating them. The other one was Lawrence.

He didn't have to be handed anything. The expectations for him are as high as they come and he would be the leader to win basically any open QB spot.

We'll see if he lives up to the billing. If he's the real deal and all he's cracked up to be, he would start for all but a handful of schools.

A lot of you are basically just assuming some bs while ignoring a very similar situation right under your nose. Why would Tate come here unless he was promised a spot? Do you believe Manny is about that? Obviously he isn't, so why did Tate come then? Open spot, no incumbent, and that's that. Sounds exactly like the situation Fields walked into. As a big-time recruit, he was only going to pick from a top school. It was always going to be OSU, Bama, or OU basically.

Given the situation at Penn State, combined with his previous commitment there, I thought that was the better fit.

Of course, I also thought he should have picked Florida after Mullen got that job.

I’m guessing his QB coach had influence on his decisions, and is looking for the best NFL developer. That season Haskins had was a pretty good recruiting pitch. That’s really the only thing that makes sense.

Hard rumor that OSU gave the Fields camp a guarantee to start. Rumor looking to be true

posted this on another thread too but someone NOT on OSU board posted it elsewhere:

"...going to be interesting to see this play out.......a long time guy that covers ohio st has been "internet friends" with me since back in the scout days....
sounds like most of the folks that cover the buckeyes thought baldwin had the better spring overall but day had painted himself in a corner with the dealing with fields and his qb coach.
if fields struggles things could get hot in columbus sooner than normal."

Advertisement
Back