CFB Orange Blossom Classic

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Advertisement
Oh man I remember the Orange Blossom Classic.. Glad they are bringing it back it was a real source of pride for Black Miami back then, which was still dealing with a bit of vestiges of old Jim Crow segregation.
Black folks in Miami really rolled out the red carpet on that weekend and the Orange Bowl would be packed. And back then FAMU used to field some really good teams. I hated when one of those old country teams as we called them would come in and kick the Rattlers butt. There was some serious talent on that field especially in the 60's and early 70's.
Us kids looked forward to it every year. Back then it was held in late December near Christmas time. It would include a whole weekend of festivities including a parade. We loved every bit of it. Us guys couldn't get enough of watching the band competition which really wasnt a competition but it would be one **** of a parade.... and those FAMU majorettes. The parents would be in the best of moods especially on parade day. We thought FAMU's band was the best in the world and all the predominantly Black high school bands imitated their style. And the rest of the HBCU's borrowed their band swag from FAMU. In the old days the marching 100 was the first band that incorporated hip dance moves and played current R&B hits.

I hope they bring back the parade. I am going to make it point to get back home to see it get kicked off again. Fun times.

Oh man I remember the Orange Blossom Classic.. Glad they are bringing it back it was a real source of pride for Black Miami back then, which was still dealing with a bit of vestiges of old Jim Crow segregation.
Black folks in Miami really rolled out the red carpet on that weekend and the Orange Bowl would be packed. And back then FAMU used to field some really good teams. I hated when one of those old country teams as we called them would come in and kick the Rattlers butt. There was some serious talent on that field especially in the 60's and early 70's.
Us kids looked forward to it every year. Back then it was held in late December near Christmas time. It would include a whole weekend of festivities including a parade. We loved every bit of it. Us guys couldn't get enough of watching the band competition which really wasnt a competition but it would be one **** of a parade.... and those FAMU majorettes. The parents would be in the best of moods especially on parade day. We thought FAMU's band was the best in the world and all the predominantly Black high school bands imitated their style. And the rest of the HBCU's borrowed their band swag from FAMU. In the old days the marching 100 was the first band that incorporated hip dance moves and played current R&B hits.

I hope they bring back the parade. I am going to make it point to get back home to see it get kicked off again. Fun times.
Sounds like you really liked the bands! Awesome.

I didn't like when Tampa generally made it known through their negative actions that the Florida Classic was not welcomed. Luckily Orlando swooped in and welcomed the multi-million $$$ weekend event. There may not be as many 4* players on the field but it's always exciting football. Wish more Americans weren't as put off by us to come out and enjoy the food and festivities.

I didn't like when Tampa generally made it known through their negative actions that the Florida Classic was not welcomed. Luckily Orlando swooped in and welcomed the multi-million $$$ weekend event. There may not be as many 4* players on the field but it's always exciting football. Wish more Americans weren't as put off by us to come out and enjoy the food and festivities.
I'll bring the potato salad.

Oh yeah, I went there.

😀

Advertisement
Actually, if I remember correctly, FAMU called some of their games against UM in the OB the Orange Blossom Classic. It was really a sad reminder of what was once a great extravaganza and celebration of Black college football.

December was an exciting month for Miami and the Orange Bowl. Not only was there the Orange Blossom Classic and the Orange Bowl, but the Shrine North-South All-Star game. For a few years, the Bowl hosted a runner-up bowl of sorts, which featured a game between the two NFL conference runner-ups. That was long before the AFL-NFL merger.

I remember some of the annual December games with FAMU matched against another HBCU. It was like a major bowl game for the historically Black colleges. And there was some great talent on the field. When the southern universities started to integrate their sports programs in the late sixties, it started to take away the best talent.

Glad to see the full Orange Blossom Classic is back. This means that there is still significant interest in football at the historically Black colleges. And more opportunities for young athletes to get a college education.

That 1961 FAMU team could have beat any team in the country. Lot of players drafted by NFL off that team in following 3 years

Actual numbers for those 3 years 9 by NFL and 9 by afl

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back