Open up the Damn Country and Stop Playing games!

RichtshawFerguson

Redshirt Freshman
Open up the damn country so we can move forward. This is nonsense and it’s not sustainable.

10s of millions of layoffs on the way, destroying businesses and livelihoods, snuffing out the retirement of many folks and purposely driving the economy off a cliff is highly immoral. HIGHLY IMMORAL! All this for a .012 mortality rate (99.9% recovery). Enough of the hysteria!
FYI, your .012 mortality rate equals 1.2%, a 98.8% survival rate. If only a quarter of the population gets infected, that’s almost 1 million deaths.
A good example of why we should follow the scientists lead on this decision.

thisu

Recruit
FYI, your .012 mortality rate equals 1.2%, a 98.8% survival rate. If only a quarter of the population gets infected, that’s almost 1 million deaths.
A good example of why we should follow the scientists lead on this decision.
That is based on flawed numbers. it’s not science, it is basic math and logic. The demominator is much higher because the number of infected is significantly higher than what is being reported. We just started testing.

theribdoctor

I'm the one they call Dr Feelgood.
You literally asked if we'd be ok with 30k+ deaths. At the .012 percentage you use that would mean the entire US population were infected.
My response was which would you rather. Because if we let people out and do nothing, we get a lot more death. I'm not ok with either number. Stay the eff home. The economy will suffer for a while. This too shall pass.

RichtshawFerguson

Redshirt Freshman
That is based on flawed numbers. it’s not science, it is basic math and logic. The demominator is much higher because the number of infected is significantly higher than what is being reported. We just started testing.
Not my number, was the OP’s.
As far as it going down, though, current numbers based on testing and mortality is over 4%. But you’re right, that number will go down. How far? Experts say it looks like it would go down to 1% - 2%, which would make it disastrous to open the economy back up now. They could be wrong, but that’s a really big risk.

Last edited:

No_Fly_Zone

Sophomore
Open up the damn country so we can move forward. This is nonsense and it’s not sustainable.

10s of millions of layoffs on the way, destroying businesses and livelihoods, snuffing out the retirement of many folks and purposely driving the economy off a cliff is highly immoral. HIGHLY IMMORAL! All this for a .012 mortality rate (99.9% recovery). Enough of the hysteria!
Your math here has me stuck.
.012 mortality rate would mean a 1.2% mortality (which would mean 98.8% recovery). If you meant to say .012% (if that's what you meant to type), that would mean a 99.88% rate of recovery. It's not a trivial thing, either -- that difference could potentially represents 10s of thousands of death versus several hundred thousand (even million) deaths.
I am down to do the devil's arithmetic, but let's getting the fvcking numbers straight first.

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Nope. You don't just get to change definitions of words.

It's not "complications from complications".

It's complications FROM Coronavirus. Many people who get Coronavirus then develop pneumonia or other complications.

Just stop it with your outright lies. Words mean something. Complications FROM CORONVIRUS does not mean "complications from other already existing complications" just because you say it does.

Here's another case, this person is even younger, age 36, school principal.

And, sure, I get it, you're going to keep flipping and flopping like a fish, and trying to get us to believe that all of these young people dying have "comorbidities" (your new favorite word that you just learned). I realize we may not have the "final word" until autopsies are performed, but you would have us believe that all of the cases involving younger people MUST have some sort of "existing complication".

Because you say so. No other proof or reason. Just because you said so.

Just be honest, and admit that YOU DON'T KNOW, and that your idiotic "provide me proof of one healthy person dying" challenge is just as fraudulent as the rest of your nonsense.

I'll just leave this here for you. 👇

Go ahead, tell us about the 👆"from complications part".

This is going to be GREAT!

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Not my number, was the OP’s.
As far as it going down, though, current numbers based on testing and mortality is over 4%. But you’re right, that number will go down. How far? Experts say it looks like it would go down to 1% - 2%, which would make it disastrous to open the economy back up now. They could be wrong, but that’s a really big risk.
Where are the US numbers that show mortality is "over 4%?" Please link.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Above 4% are *current* global numbers: https://ncov2019.live/data
Thanks.

It's why I asked for US numbers. I feel for those countries, but they have a mess of data they need to clean up. I'd prefer to have smaller sample, early US data than whatever bullshit China puts out there, for example. The purpose is to figure out how we're going to track when (not if) the total cases in the US grows exponentially. Even without it being a perfect analogy to the rest of us, I rather use NYC numbers than China or Italy (for other unreliable reasons).

RichtshawFerguson

Redshirt Freshman
Thanks.

It's why I asked for US numbers. I feel for those countries, but they have a mess of data they need to clean up. I'd prefer to have smaller sample, early US data than whatever bullshit China puts out there, for example. The purpose is to figure out how we're going to track when (not if) the total cases in the US grows exponentially. Even without it being a perfect analogy to the rest of us, I rather use NYC numbers than China or Italy (for other unreliable reasons).
I hear you, the problem with the US numbers at this point is there is less than a thousand “closed” cases (mortality or recovery) out of the approx 60k cases we have. The number for US closed cases is about 4.5%, but it’s obviously a small sample size. And as many have pointed out, limited testing.

where are you getting that 800 number from yesterday? I saw low 700s some places.. this site tracks it and they had yesterday ending around 675.. either way, you can see the numbers doubling every 2.5 - 3 days. https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/
So according to your theory the entire United States population, every man woman and child, will be infected in less than eight weeks

TheOriginalCane

All ACC
I'll just leave this here for you. 👇

Go ahead, tell us about the 👆"from complications part".

This is going to be GREAT!

From complications. Not sure what the confusing part is here.

Don't get mad because you can't comprehend the English language.

Here you are, bring your own citations, and NOTHING in that article says he died from ANYTHING other than Coronavirus and "complications FROM CORONAVIRUS".

Was he old? Sure. So you are trying to use an 81 year old man to fix your prior screw-up related to much younger victims? Hilarious.

Please, since you think you are some very stable genius, tell us exactly WHICH WORDS in your ridiculous citation specify that "complications from Coronavirus" mean the non-sensical BULLSH!TE that you claim it means.

I'll wait. You've got nothing. Literally, nothing.

An 81 year old man died from Coronavirus, and you are trying to use that to redefine what the word "from" means.

Keep spreading your misinformation.

I fuckin hope not.. but we are headed to a place where, yes- 10s of millions at least will have this thing in this country.
Our population is over 320 million.

According to your doubling theory, we will reach 10 million in about 2 weeks give or take a couple of days.

i’m not disputing what you’re saying, I’m just letting you know what it actually means. And then if it increases that much, with the death increases staying increasing at the same rate they are now, it will have a much lower death percentage than the flu. Much much lower.

I just don’t know what’s going to happen, but in two or three weeks we can have a much better idea.

Last edited: