Open up the Damn Country and Stop Playing games!

The Svengali

Sophomore
Open up the damn country so we can move forward. This is nonsense and it’s not sustainable.

10s of millions of layoffs on the way, destroying businesses and livelihoods, snuffing out the retirement of many folks and purposely driving the economy off a cliff is highly immoral. HIGHLY IMMORAL! All this for a .012 mortality rate (99.9% recovery). Enough of the hysteria!

theribdoctor

I'm the one they call Dr Feelgood.
Open up the damn country so we can move forward. This is nonsense and it’s not sustainable.

10s of millions of layoffs on the way, destroying businesses and livelihoods, snuffing out the retirement of many folks and purposely driving the economy off a cliff is highly immoral. HIGHLY IMMORAL! All this for a .012 mortality rate (99.9% recovery). Enough of the hysteria!
it's actually closer to a 1% mortality rate. So, what's 1% of 327 million?

even if it is .012%, are you cool with 30k plus deaths?

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.

it isnt even close to 1% of 327 million. For all intents and purposes, THE ONLY at-risk cohort are those with immune system and respiratory co-morbidities.

My guess: over next 36 months, suicide rate will jump higher, due to financial ruin and broken relationships, than actual deaths caused by COVID-19.

Everyone ok with that?

theribdoctor

I'm the one they call Dr Feelgood.
it isnt even close to 1% of 327 million. For all intents and purposes, THE ONLY at-risk cohort are those with immune system and respiratory co-morbidities.

My guess: over next 36 months, suicide rate will jump higher, due to financial ruin and broken relationships, than actual deaths caused by COVID-19.

Everyone ok with that?
I'm not okay with either way. If we open up the country and people die or get severely sick from this...that sucks.

If it stays closed and people kill them selves that'll suck as well.

Both scenarios are crap.

nickster

Freshman
SVENGALI, are you stupid, ignorant, or something else? The virus needs to be contained and many people in this country LIKE YOU think it's a joke. The above comments must be from people with little regard FOR the elderly or are young. Opening up the country would be a death sentence to many young and old PEOPLE. YEAH YEAH I WORK DIRECTLY IN THE MEDICAL FIELD and quite frankly you are DEAD WRONG!

Go Canes!!

All ACC
Complete what has basically become a shut down for the next week or two.
Verify if the drug cocktails being tried in New York actually help the 1-2% of serious cases out there.
Continue quarantines for the elderly
Quit playing politics and put money into the hands of people who desperately need it right now.
Keep literally everyone out of this country who's not already here.
Severely limit or ban travel from the NE to anywhere else in the country
Then take reasonable and measured steps to get the world and this country going again.

Verify if the drug cocktails being tried in New York actually help the 1-2% of serious cases out there.
Quit playing politics and put money into the hands of people who desperately need it right now.
Then take reasonable and measured steps to get the world and this country going again.
People from the north east coming down here on planes as if nothing has happened. How many of those are carriers?

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
SVENGALI, are you stupid, ignorant, or something else? The virus needs to be contained and many people in this country LIKE YOU think it's a joke. The above comments must be from people with little regard FOR the elderly or are young. Opening up the country would be a death sentence to many young and old PEOPLE. YEAH YEAH I WORK DIRECTLY IN THE MEDICAL FIELD and quite frankly you are DEAD WRONG!
It's better that we have them bunched up outside Publix at 7 AM?

423Hurricane

Recruit

We get more deaths than that every year with the flu and we have a vaccine. Not saying we shouldn't protect the vulnerable, but it can be done without a continued shutdown of the entire country.

Last edited:

Salt

"It's All About The Roo"
We get more deaths than that every year with the flu and we have a vaccine. Not saying we shouldn't protect the vulnerable, but it can be done without a continued shutdown of he entire country.
Imagine if we didn't have flu vaccines which I hear are about 40% effective. Flu mortality would be even more than what it is. We will have a corona vaccine within year. Corona will be around like flu each year now. New reality but life will go on.

423Hurricane

Recruit
I think some of, if not all, of these ideas will be implemented in the next week or 2. In his presser yesterday evening, Trump seemed inclined to open things up ASAP; sooner rather than later. He knows the current status is not sustainable without long term damage to our economy and the economy of the rest of the world.
Quarantining the hot spots - NYC, SF, Seattle and any others with large infection concentrations - makes perfect sense. In the county I live in NE TN, we've had 2 cases; both elderly men who had traveled outside the country and were quarantined immediately. In the state of TN, over 80% of the 615 cases are in Nashville.

Never cool with deaths, but be real. We have those kind of deaths from influenza each year. Let's have a national shutdown each year for flu and now corona season.
Jesus Christ, man. You're a smart guy, I think. How can you possibly be this dense? THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FLU. The flu does not overrun our healthcare system. The flu does not infect hundreds of thousands of people at one time. The flu does not have exponential growth every year. The flu doesn't cause a shortage in ventilators, causing doctors and nurses to make the decision on why gets one and who doesn't, aka who potentially dies and who doesn't. After this much time, how can you still not know the basic facts?

If you want to argue that the damage to the economy doesn't outweigh the deaths, I'd rather listen to that than have people compare this to the flu. It's not the flu, for the 7 billionth time. It spikes much quicker and will kill people that it otherwise wouldn't if we used preventive measures like social distancing and quarantining. It's baffling to me how, after weeks of this, where the information is essentially a firehose at this point, that people still say dumbass stuff like this.

The Svengali

Sophomore

I am MORE than ok with 30k plus deaths. That’s a win!

40,000 people die in car accidents every years, but folks still buy cars and aren’t calling for a shutdown of highways

45 million contracted the flu last year and 50,000 died (even though we have a vaccine) and nothing shut down.

And you know what else, about 42 million that get it ride the flu out at home and they don’t go to hospitals. The difference is coronavirus hysteria is driving people to the hospital in droves.