only room for 16 on the bus

Advertisement
yea, 100% certain we sign more than 16. at the current moment, we can add 15 and that is with no further attrition. we have had no fewer than 10 kids leave prior to their eligibility expiring over the last 5 years. Al saying only 16 is two fold....1. adds more pressure to targets to jump on the ship before the class fills up 2. you dont want to say there are more spots available than actually are before you even get to game 1. i'm sure there will be at least 5 early exits from the program via the draft/transfer and that we will probably get pretty close to 20 new recruits, especially with potential scholarship limitations forthcoming.

Even with sanctions, I can't recall them docking anyone more than 5 per year, but I don't know stuff too far back. Either way, I definitely don't see them giving us more than 5 per year. So with sanctions we should still be able to sign a class with 20 kids.

Even with sanctions, I can't recall them docking anyone more than 5 per year, but I don't know stuff too far back. Either way, I definitely don't see them giving us more than 5 per year. So with sanctions we should still be able to sign a class with 20 kids.

USC is presently down 10 per year for 3 years. When UM was sanctioned in the mid 90's, we were down 31 over 3 years. I won't count Penn State...that's an entirely different thing going on there.

Advertisement

USC is presently down 10 per year for 3 years. When UM was sanctioned in the mid 90's, we were down 31 over 3 years. I won't count Penn State...that's an entirely different thing going on there.

Yet USCw has something like 18 committs.....

yea, 100% certain we sign more than 16. at the current moment, we can add 15 and that is with no further attrition. we have had no fewer than 10 kids leave prior to their eligibility expiring over the last 5 years. Al saying only 16 is two fold....1. adds more pressure to targets to jump on the ship before the class fills up 2. you dont want to say there are more spots available than actually are before you even get to game 1. i'm sure there will be at least 5 early exits from the program via the draft/transfer and that we will probably get pretty close to 20 new recruits, especially with potential scholarship limitations forthcoming.

We sit at 81 currently and we have 11 kids leaving which gives us a total of 15 spots. Everything I've heard points to us giving up somewhere in the range of 3 to 5 scholarships to the NCAA at some point this year. We'll go best case scenario which is the 3 meaning we'll have 12 spots total for this cycle.

Said another way, if we self sanctions ourselves as I expect, we'd likely be looking at having to clear 4 guys off the roster just to hit the 16 mark that Golden has mentioned.

Hard to see us getting any more space than that as I can't sit and count more than four non-SRs on this roster that I'd be ready to kick to the curve at this point next year if everyone continues on the current track.

Maybe we get unlucky and some one will want to transfer and such but realistically speaking, 16 seems to have hit the nail on the head and frankly I'm surprised that so many people are question Al himself when he says these things. He's not one to beat around the bush and he was spot on last year when he said a few times that we would be in the 30 range.

We sit at 81 currently and we have 11 kids leaving which gives us a total of 15 spots. Everything I've heard points to us giving up somewhere in the range of 3 to 5 scholarships to the NCAA at some point this year. We'll go best case scenario which is the 3 meaning we'll have 12 spots total for this cycle.

Said another way, if we self sanctions ourselves as I expect, we'd likely be looking at having to clear 4 guys off the roster just to hit the 16 mark that Golden has mentioned.

Hard to see us getting any more space than that as I can't sit and count more than four non-SRs on this roster that I'd be ready to kick to the curve at this point next year if everyone continues on the current track.

Maybe we get unlucky and some one will want to transfer and such but realistically speaking, 16 seems to have hit the nail on the head and frankly I'm surprised that so many people are question Al himself when he says these things. He's not one to beat around the bush and he was spot on last year when he said a few times that we would be in the 30 range.

this

Advertisement
well if thats the case then there is no Coley/Cunningham debate. They are both out. Bain, Bostwick, Kirkland , Grace, Thomas, done. You can also scratch off any DE or punter. The sanctions are the wild card. Who knows whats going to happen with that. However, barring sanctions, I'd be willing to bet that we sign more than 16

Last edited:
Sanctions wouldnt go into effect until the next cycle

This is what I was thinking. We haven't even received our NOA yet...signing day will probably be long gone before we know how many scholarships will be deducted.

Advertisement
You oversign every year, regardless of sanctions. There is always a couplefew kids that dont qualify, greyshirt, go to prep, or quit and transfer.

Whether the sanction go into effect this cycle or next cycle is irrelevant.

By this time next year Miami will have some sort of scholarship sanction that effects the 85 man limit and that's what is holding this back from being a bigger class. The 25 man limit is of zero importance because Miami will never reach it.

Say Miami has to be at 82 players next year (a meager 3 scholarship reduction) that leaves Miami with 12 spots for new kids ATM which means that 4 extra have to go just to reach the 16 Al has said.

Hunter Wells, David Perry, Dyron Dye, Corey King, David Thompson, Gray Crow

That's 6 guys you can safely give the boot

Advertisement

replace dyron dye with corey white. Dye is our 3 rd TE right now and supposedly looking decent. Corey White has never been able to stay healthy and would be a 5 th yr senior that should already have his degree and thats all Miami really owes him.

I don't think booting Froshes is the answer. Those should be the future and depth moving forward at this point.

The only frosh on the list are Wells, Crow, and Thompson. Thompson probably won't work out anyway, Wells will eventually go the way of Junior Alexis, and we probably won't need Crow if we have 4 scholarship QBs (after adding Olsen) and a competent walk on for the scout team. Ideally you keep guys like him, but with sanctions you have to cut out the luxuries.

I don't think booting Froshes is the answer. Those should be the future and depth moving forward at this point.

The only frosh on the list are Wells, Crow, and Thompson. Thompson probably won't work out anyway, Wells will eventually go the way of Junior Alexis, and we probably won't need Crow if we have 4 scholarship QBs (after adding Olsen) and a competent walk on for the scout team. Ideally you keep guys like him, but with sanctions you have to cut out the luxuries.

I don't disagree with Wells. He was a late addition flier just to try to salvage a class. He's been here a year and if by this point next year he hasn't done anything then you cut your losses. No harm, no foul.

But you're already talking about cutting David Thompson before he's even taken a single practice snap here to even see if he can be a legitimate player here and Crow is a Frosh QB that hasn't even had a full year in the system. You have to give those kids 2, if not 3 years before you even know if they've got a chance to really contribute and help this team. The same scholarship and sanctions situation we are talking about existed last year when he signed those kids just as much as it exists today. If they felt those kids were a luxury we couldn't afford then they shouldn't have signed them in the 1st place.

Point is that we have badly needed QB depth for years and, frankly speaking, we still don't have any QB depth. We only have QB bodies. You need to give all those kids a fair chance to see who can play and who can't before cutting any of them or you risk gutting the chance of the real QB depth that we've worked so hard to try and build since Golden arrived.

Advertisement
Back